xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
barnes

Windows Emulating On Linux: Pros And Cons.

So, I'm not really sure about emulating windows on linux machines. I hear good things, I hear bad things. So, whats the truth? Is it really as slow as people say? Is it hard to operate? Any help is appreciated.

I'm currently using Mandriva Linux 2006. What can I say? WINE is good thing, but it's not so fast as I want it to be. It's perfectly running such programs as Total Comander, WinRAR, QCD Player, sometimes even Winamp(but Amarok rules! :-))

As for 3D games for Windows. There is a thing, named Cedega. It's running NFS Underground II !!! I was amazed twen I played NFS in Linux! It also can run many 3D games, maked for Windows in very high speed and good quality. Cedega uses WINE libraries and costs very much. But... eMule can download it for free!

So, emulating Windows in Linux has only begined. I believe that we will soon runing Photoshop, Alcohol 120% and many other big programs in Linux.

Linux rules!

Wine is great. it can be rather slow and doesn't always support advanced things some win32 applications like to do. On the whole it's great. I've even got Morrowind (if you don't know what it is google it) a huge game to work although a bit slowly. just keep wine updated at it should work just fine for you.

if your looking for an easy to use distro of linux try SUSE go for the older 9.1 it's free and you get better packages the 10.x only has open source packages which gets rather annoying(no JAVA etc.). there is a pro version of 10.x but last time I checked it was too expensive for my taste.

Edited by gaurdro (see edit history)

Thanks for your help everyone. The things I was planning on emulating was Anarchy Online, and some other older MMORPGs. But also Flash and Photoshop which are HUGE programs.