xisto Community
AnGeL KiSS

Smartftp : Ftp Using Smartftp

I've never really been a fan of SmartFTP. I don't like the way it's laid out. I like to have the remote connection on the right side, not the left - is there a way to change this in SmartFTP, because I couldn't find one? I'll stick with CuteFTP! :blink: But an excellent tutorial no less, you actually solved a problem I was having in not being able to see the active directory.

It is a very good tutorial, but I don't think there should be too much problems with using FTP, but this is very useful for those who are still very new to FTP. As to regards with FTP programmes, I don't like to use Smart FTP, it looks too much like Microsoft Office 2003, but I do not deny that it is easy to use. But I prefer Flash FXP (30 day trial) and Cute FTP which are both needed to be purchased.

Smart FTP has always given me problems. It wasn't server side problems either, because I now use FileZilla and have NO problems at all. I would suggest you all to switch to FileZilla. It may not be as appealing to the eye, but it gets the job done.

what kind of problems have you been getting from smartftp, usually the solutions is easy to figure out.

I had problems uploading when i tried uploading a folder with heaps of files in it. It would usually get to halfway and then disconnect. So now i always upload in a queue. This way incomplete uploads can be resumed :)The way to use queues is by simply right clicking on the destination folder and selecting Upload->Queue->Select...Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Ahh the solution is simple do the uploads in small groups if you do more then like 3-400 files in shout the server will cut off because of the load your giving the server to handle.so do it in groups of 5-10 and you won't get the cut off. I gotten the cut off plenty of times to figure out why. :lol:

Ah, nice tutorial, a tad brief but SmartFTP does have a pretty basic interface. On the other hand, I've only been using FTPs for the last year because they were confusing to me in the past.

I just dowloaded SmartFTP due in part to recommendations on Xisto's forum. I'm glad somebody's explained how to use it in terminology even someone like me can understand. Now I don't have to waste time trying to figure out Smart's instructions. I'd personally like to see more tutorials for users who are new to web design, or at least technically challenged on this forum. Thanks Angel! Perhaps you could post a tutorial on integrating blogs into existing web sites. I need help on that too :P