xisto Community
AnGeL KiSS

Smartftp : Ftp Using Smartftp

This is not a question, but I think it's the best topic that would fit this title in :) So anyway-- here you go!

Download SmartFTP here.

Posted Image

Orange box: this is where you type ftp.yourdomain.com. But if you own a subdomain, you might have to type in ftp.subdomain.domainname.com; depends on your host. For example, my address would be ftp.vanillaskye.org.

Orange red box: a bar that leads to properties, and more ftp stuff o_O. Some of them are just there, so don't worry about that bar.

Black box: Click this to get to your documents-- where you upload your stuff to your site.

Teal box: Teal box: You can click this to connect to your FTP. (another way to connect)

Dark turquoise box: this is your login information, say my user and password was apple and password was jacks -- put that in the boxes.

Dark Blue box: this is where you upload your stuff to your site-- highlight your stuff and then press the button that points to your ftp site (I press the one that points left).

Green box: it's a log to show how long or when its finished uploading your stuff onto your site.

Faq:

What's my ftp address?

ftp.yourdomain.com.

How do I know my FTP login information?

Your host should give it to you, if your host didn't ask again.

How come I don't see my directory?

Look back at the picture above and find the black box, click it and look for the folder with your content.

How to upload files:

You can highlight all the files you want to upload and drag it to your ftp browser (for example look at the picture above-- highlight the files on the right and drag it to the left) or you can highlight the files you want to upload and click the button (in the blue box) pointing to your ftp browser. (left?)

FTP is fast & easy to use, at first I was confused and thought it'd be hard to find out how to use it; but when I got used to it.. it was easy peasy. So don't worry you'll get the hang of it. Haven't seen this kind of tutorial made this way anywhere so I thought I'd make it like this and hope it helped If this tutorial didn't, post on any problems :)

This is not a question, but I think it's the best topic that would fit this title in :) So anyway-- here you go!

Download SmartFTP here.

Posted Image

Orange box: this is where you type ftp.yourdomain.com. But if you own a subdomain, you might have to type in ftp.subdomain.domainname.com; depends on your host. For example, my address would be ftp.vanillaskye.org.

Orange red box: a bar that leads to properties, and more ftp stuff o_O. Some of them are just there, so don't worry about that bar.

Black box: Click this to get to your documents-- where you upload your stuff to your site.

Teal box: Teal box: You can click this to connect to your FTP. (another way to connect)

Dark turquoise box: this is your login information, say my user and password was apple and password was jacks -- put that in the boxes.

Dark Blue box: this is where you upload your stuff to your site-- highlight your stuff and then press the button that points to your ftp site (I press the one that points left).

Green box: it's a log to show how long or when its finished uploading your stuff onto your site.

Faq:

What's my ftp address?

ftp.yourdomain.com.

Look back at the picture above and find the black box, click it and look for the folder with your content.

How to upload files:

You can highlight all the files you want to upload and drag it to your ftp browser (for example look at the picture above-- highlight the files on the right and drag it to the left) or you can highlight the files you want to upload and click the button (in the blue box) pointing to your ftp browser. (left?)

FTP is fast & easy to use, at first I was confused and thought it'd be hard to find out how to use it; but when I got used to it.. it was easy peasy. So don't worry you'll get the hang of it. Haven't seen this kind of tutorial made this way anywhere so I thought I'd make it like this and hope it helped If this tutorial didn't, post on any problems B)

:) Thanks Angel I have been finding it difficult to use FTP software and now i got it clear and also i tried using WebCEO my friend say it is an FTP as well as some extra loads in it can you try that and do some explanation post on it.

:) Have a nice day!

I been using smart ftp for the longest easy interface, easy login set and other stuff thats needed. I havn't had any real problems using it.

lol hehe thanks guys. i've been asked how to use FTP so I just wrote a tutorial on it.. and there was alot of people who didn't know how to use it on forums and stuff.. lol. anyways hope you guys understood my tutorial :rolleyes:

thanks dear AnGeL KiSSGood tutI use Flashfxp , at 2 years ago i used SmartFTP and i think SmartFTP is very hard but know i read your tutorial and i think SmartFTP is very easy .. thanks

This is not a question, but I think it's the best topic that would fit this title in :rolleyes: So anyway-- here you go!

Download SmartFTP here.

Posted Image

Faq:

What's my ftp address?

ftp.yourdomain.com.

How to upload files:

FTP is fast & easy to use, at first I was confused and thought it'd be hard to find out how to use it; but when I got used to it.. it was easy peasy. So don't worry you'll get the hang of it. Haven't seen this kind of tutorial made this way anywhere so I thought I'd make it like this and hope it helped If this tutorial didn't, post on any problems :lol:

Thanks for the ftp tutorial. Its one thing that still confuses me, getting the ftp connected and transferring more than 1 file at a time. Do you think that this is the best ftp programme around or are there better ones available?

Its one thing that still confuses me, getting the ftp connected and transferring more than 1 file at a time.

Transferring more than 1 file at a time is very easy... you can just drag-and-drop files to upload them (or download them). All you have to do is connect to the server (enter you server, username and password) and then go to the folder where you want to copy your files and then, select the files you want to upload and drag-and-drop these files right into the SmartFTP program and the files will be uploaded.

Do you think that this is the best ftp programme around or are there better ones available?

I would say that there is no BEST FTP Program... its just that SmartFTP is easy to use, and it is the most widely used FTP program. There are other FTP softwares available! Just go to download.com and enter 'FTP client' (http://download.cnet.com/s/)

Seems like BulletProofFTP is also a popular FTP software (with over 1,287,195 downloads!)

Edited by Paul (see edit history)

Thanks for the ftp tutorial. Its one thing that still confuses me, getting the ftp connected and transferring more than 1 file at a time. Do you think that this is the best ftp programme around or are there better ones available?

Getting FTP connected? If you have a Xisto subdomain, your ftp address would be ftp.trap17.com and your username and password would be what you registered. And transferring more than one file at a time you could highlight the files on your folder and then upload them altogether. I only use SmartFTP and I've only used about 3 FTPs so I don't know if it's the BEST FTP out there but it is the best free ftp to me.

I have been using SmartFTP for probably over 2 years now. Version 2 is really nice and works great. I think it really is the best way to go when managing files for your web site. I would strongly recommend it I haven't had any troubles and haven't had the need to try anything else. It's fast and easy to use. Very nice tutorial overall, I do mine slightly differently though but that doesn't really matter.