xisto Community
BooZker

My Website Is A Mess Is there an easy way to fix it?

Ok this is for my site http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ i just moved it over to Xisto from bravehost.com when i thought how much of a mess it is. I have no folders. All my pictures are in the root. This happened because this was my first site and i did not know better, but know i have added so much stuff. Is there a way to put all the images in an images folder and sync all the rest of the links to the images like the logo and stuff. I use dreamweaver 8 if that helps. I was pretty sure there is a way, but i can't figure it out. And also i have all of my videos in the root. So the video pages being something like http://ojproductions.bravehost.com/lifejuuce.html for example (now its change to boozker.trap17.com/lifejuuce.html) see it should be life boozker.trap17.com/videos/lifejuuce.html. Can i fix those things easily or will i have to go from page to page?

In Dreamweaver 8 build your site locally and assign the files and folders as you have taken a new decision to put in their new assigned folders. Upload all the files and folders to public_html folder, it will work perfectly. Giving a proper folders for files are important if your site is supposed to grow from time to time. But if your site is not so big, it doesn't matter if you keep everything on the root folder. It will be better for search engines to index. I am suggesting you to build your site first on the local disk because that way you can make use of your dreamweaver.

what dragonfly said but to give it a bit more detail.Create These Folders-images-videosBut everthing in there that corresponds with those 2 foldersthen put the following in your coding: /images//videos/Also if you want a faster make sure to to use proper coding as well which leads me to another point. If you have DW8 use the validator it will help you out alot I clocked your site with 113 errors ran it through my validator and got you down to 28 errors in which you would be down to 7 errors cuz when you use xhtml with images you have to have a alt tag or it comes up as an error.Also I recommend using this site often as well. wc3.org with helping you clean your coding up and spotting errors an such.What Im going to is pm you with the cleaner coding mind you will have to change a few things since I had to download it off the computer so you have to change some urls around and such. It shouldn't be to hard to figure what you need to change, But it cleans up your site up a bit more.

I am suggesting you to build your site first on the local disk because that way you can make use of your dreamweaver.

Well i did, but i had like 3 pages and like 6 six videos then so i was like whats the point. Now i have so many its a mess. Also it was my first site so my coding was horrible.

What Im going to is pm you with the cleaner coding mind you will have to change a few things since I had to download it off the computer so you have to change some urls around and such. It shouldn't be to hard to figure what you need to change, But it cleans up your site up a bit more.

Thanks so much. Yah like i said before it was my first site and it grew and i did not keep up with it. OK i'll check it out. And i started to fix up the page, but does this mean i'll have to change the links to the pictures and videos in everyone of the pages?
Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

I think you will have to do some minor changes, mostly with the changing links thing. Do what michael said, because that is pretty much the only/easy way to do it. So you won't have to completely redo your site, but it might take some effort to get everything fixed and working again. best of luck -daz

I was reading all the links ill have to change and all the errors and decided to redo it. I now know too those alt"" tags.Actually i look my new look a lot. Its a black glossy look. It was my first site so i don't even like the old look anyway. I'll have the site almost done by tomorrow actually because i have all the media for it i had to just change the graphics and i'm alright with graphics so it didn't take long.Thanks everyone though. I probably would have just left it with the errors and everything.