xisto Community
midnitesun

How To Make Cool Rain Effect (photoshop tut)

Here i am going to show you how to create realistic rain effect using photoshop CS, this tutorial is suitable for immeadiate beginners too,

now the first thing you need is to get a good source image , i used this house which is shown at a kool angle and a dog lookin out of the window supposedly because it is raining

Posted Image

dublicate the layer ( press Ctrl+J ) or just drag the layer to the create new layer button at the bottom of layers tool box ,

now go to Image > Image Adjustments > Levels and make your settings as shown in the image below ...

Posted Image

even tough the image we have is already dark ,that would have given the image the necessary dark appearance as you would have on a rainy day ..

the next step is to create rain

create a new layer (Shift+CTRL+N) with a white background and name it rain for easy reference later

now go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise and make your settings as shown in the image below ....

Posted Image

now go to Filter > Blur > Motion Blur and make your settings as shown in the image below ....

Posted Image

now go to Image > Image Adjustments > Levels and make your settings as shown ....

Posted Image

go to layers pallet and change your blending mode to screen

well we got it raining already but i just want it to rain more heavily so make another copy of the rain layer, set the blending mode to screen on this layer too

and go to Edit > Transform > Rotate 180 degrees clockwise and reduce the opacity of the layer to around 82,

now with the topmost layer selected press Crl+E to merge the two top layers

now it rains but we dont have any wind , so our rain is not realistic yet , now go to Filter > Distort > Twirl and make the settings as shown below ....

Posted Image

and here is my final image , it rains doesnt it ?? :)

Posted Image

there already is 1 for the animated.and the animated tut already has everything this post has w/ differnt settingsall you need to do is change the angle of the motoin blur to make it look like the rain is coming from a different angle.

That is amazingly simple and sooo effective. I'm impressed - I've tried a few different ways to get a rain effect going on and none look as great as this one. Thank you so much :)

Great Tutorial, this is actually a pretty good tutorial for other then just rain. I've messed around with a few of the settings and I have come up with some pretty interesting effects off of this tutorial. :)

Great tutorial thanks! I always asked myself how to put rain in a rendered image, because I couldn't see any way to out rain in the scene with the 3d modelling program.But like always, it's post processing with photoshop :)