xisto Community
master_bacarra

Messenger Service Message Virus

i've uploaded these images for you to see. these warnings keep popping up on my window whenever i'm surfing the net. i've observed that it pops up everytime a website/webpage sucessfully loads. i dunno if it's a virus or an adware or something. the messages don't seem to make any point, but just as the same i've tried scanning my pc for viruses but it didn't find anything on my pc.

Posted Image

<br><br>

Posted Image

these are just some of the messages that keep popping up. but they contain almost all of the same messages, except for the website that it wants me to check out.

grr... i'll be doing another scan again so i'll check in a few.

Well i think its a company trying to get you to use there software so obviously its either the sites sending it to u or its on your computer. Or it could be real from microsoft but i doubt that

Nice Link. Looks like a good suggestion for the member to follow the recommendations given there. Hope it helps. Also, be sure to use the Spybot Updates regularly. There are new threats added to the lists often, so allow the spybot program to check for Updates before you run it.

i've ran a scan using ad-aware se personal. it didn't detect anything so i was thinking maybe the computer was fine. i had my brother use the pc afterwards and told him that if the same warning pops up, he should tell me. for a moment i thought it was the firefox browser because when my brother connected to the internet, he didn't get the warning at all because he was using internet explorer. but now i'm using ie, it still pops up.so yeah, i'll check on that link now. and thanks for the help. i'll update you about the progress later.

i've tried doing both scans on spybot and ad-aware. and so far, i'm not getting any more of the warning. i'm keeping my fingers crossed though. even though i've ran 2 scans, just to make sure...wait... i just got the warning again... grr... this is bad.be right back.

Notice from jlhaslip:
edit to remove duplicate potion. pls use the edit feature

Lol good luck on trying to remove the malware, if that doesn't help you remove the malware, try searching some info about how to on Google. I'm sure there's loads of sites that have information about it.And, think about what you did before you got the thing popping up, what did you download, what sites did you go to? Think about those, it always helps me.

sorry bout the previous message. kinda experienced some glitch with the add reply button. anyway, i've read the tutorial again, but there's one thing i'm quite unsure of doing. and that's using the hijackthis application. i'm not even sure if that's safe to use. i've ran the scan on both spybot and adaware but the warning still pops up. geez. help!

HijackThis is a respected a well done appliaction to detect everything running on your computer. It's safe and trusted utility used by professionals. Heck, look at how many hijack this logs are posted in Besttechie!

oh. ok. i'll try it later. i just installed a copy of microsoft antispyware and i've scanned my pc again. unfortunately it didn't detect anything, so my last resort would be that hijackthis application. but right now i have to sleep. it's past witching hour and i'm still awake.later peeps!

use your windows update.. thats the basic "virus" for people that dont have SP4. if youve recently formatted thats probably all you have to do.

i've scanned the pc using microsoft antispyware before i slept earlier. when i installed it, i got a message from the microsoft antispyware that there's an application running (forgot the name) that is unrelated to any p2p networking and said that the application isn't necessary to be running (it is by default OFF), so it said that i should turn it off. i turned it off and glad that the annorying warnings aren't popping up anymore. i'm keeping my fingers crossed though. i'm hoping the computer's totally fine now.but just as the same, i have to run several checks to make sure the malware is gone. gotta go peeps!

hi, that's interesting, because only you got the message pop-up. It should not be the problem of the alert service. But you can have a try to disable the alert and messager services. These already known as not safe. Besides this, is the account you use different from you bother, if so, did you have clear up you ie cache. Those message may be from javascript. please let me know if not and hope this help, Thank you :)

Edited by magiccode9 (see edit history)

Alright, its a standard messenger malware prompt. I suggest first of all to run HijackThis. It is a program that scans your system for unauthorized software. You can find it at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. After that it will give you a log, give that to a HijackThis expert, and he/she will tell you what to do. After that, your system should be somewhat stable. Then to finalize the cleaning, run Spybot S&D, found here: https://www.safer-networking.org/ run that using the walkthough on the website, clean everything. Then run Adaware, found here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ run that using the walkthough on the website. Then to shield your system, I suggest you get at least one firewall. My personal favorite is ZoneAlarm, found here: http://www.zonealarm.com/. I find that it's the easiest to configure and is still very powerful. And the final thing you should do is shut off Windows Messenger.

To do that on Windows XP Home, (This is assuming you are using the category view in Control Panel) Click Start, then Control Panel. Double-click Performance and Maintenance. Double-click Administrative Tools. Double-click Services. Highlight/ right-click on Messenger Choose Properties and in the "Startup type" list choose Disabled. Click Stop, and then click OK.

use your windows update.. thats the basic "virus" for people that dont have SP4. if youve recently formatted thats probably all you have to do.

Sp2 is as far as Microsoft got, so I think you're a bit off.

Also, that is a typical messaging service thing. It is simply using your system's messaging service to advertise on your computer. It sends it's messages to random IP addresses. Update Windows and that service, by default, will be shut down. I would also reccommend Windows Onecare, available on the Microsoft website. Also, the messaging service, just in case you were wondering, was originally used for Admins and Users of a related computing group to contact eachother from any location as long as the IP address that the computer to be messaged was known. Also, they cannot harm your computer in any way. Good luck on correcting this problem!