xisto Community
BooZker

A World Without A Religion?

Do you think the world would be better?  

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A world without religion?

I was thinking about it and thought, you know, i think it would be better. Here are my reasons.

The biggest change in the world would be less wars. Think about it. Most wars are start because of religion. One of the reasons people came to America back in the 1700s was because they wanted freedom of whatever religion they wanted.

Another great thing that would come about it would be that laws would be made on what is actually bad. For example, the most well known mostly religious law is the banning of gay marriage. I don't know if they would accept it or not, but the descions would be for science and what could hurt people.

Another would be no one would discrimanate about religions and whats better. It would be just one more thing people could hurt feelings about.

There are more, but i want to save it to keep the topic going.

Remember i'm not saying that religion in bad, i am just saying i think the world would be better. Please don't say stuff like," Well people would kill each other because the bible tells them now they can't." We all know, or most of us, that people can still follow basic human rules such as killing people. Just think if people would wake up and forget about religion.

Well, i don't think we'd be able to get rid of religion entirely. For example, many things taught in science is a religion within itself.

That is your opinion Masuko...I personally am not into christianity, what would the world be like without it? Better probably, just like if other religions were gone . I would like to see a world without religion itd probably be more peaceful. You wouldnt have as many terroist attacks (many happen because its what their religion believes), people wouldn't judge you, because their religion is against you, there wouldnt be murderious cults, there wouldnt be people acting out against religions, people wouldnt have to worry about 'offending' people by their own religion or remarks. People wouldnt have the excuse "satan made me do it" just there a very long list, of why the world would be better without religion. Think of all the problems it causes, look at the holocaust, even all the massacres in rome because of christianity, judism, and polytheism. Religion has doomed our world since the beginning.

I agree without any religion we would have less wars. The world would be a better safer place to live. There would be no fights or anything. What if we could get rid of races. Everyone would be blue or red but everyone likes green :)

Well, in the UK the majority of the population list their religion as Christianity on the Census, although most people don't live their lives in a religious way. This doesn't seem to make a massive difference in comparison to other countries where religion is a much stronger part of daily life for most people.
When you said that people might say:

Well people would kill each other because the bible tells them now they can't.

We do have laws, so people would not go around killing people, or stealing or looting etc. any more than they do at the moment. If anything, religion, as you have said, starts more wars and causes more deaths than any religious law prevents. For example, it is very likely that the bombings in London would not have happened if it wasn't for religion.
Worldwide, most religious people are fine but there are a few in each religion that just want to cause trouble and take their views to the utmost extremes. There is no problem with religions and their concepts, but the people who enact those concepts.

The assumption that the world would be a better place without religion can't be proven. if it's not religion then it'd be something else...btw, I am not saying that it would be a better place with religion, I realise there is has been a centuries old war between the Muslims and the Jews etc. etc. but still I firmly believe that if there wasn't religion, the world wouldn't be any better then it is now...I mean, which religious group is leading the way against drugs, alcahol, prostitution, abortion and world hunger.none of these things were caused by religion (debate world hunger if you wish, but it's pretty much impossible to start)

Edited by CarlU (see edit history)

It's been tried before, and the country that tried it collapsed in 1991.A fundamentalist government based around athiesm just wouldn't work in this day and age unless you use an underdeveloped country because like I said in a previous post - the modernn world is too spoiled for such an expiriment to go through.

I agree having a religion would be much better. You will try to live up what that religion wants you to live and i hope that would be a good person. Also i have a story and its about my neighbor. I am roman catholic and my neighbor is protestant. n e ways my mom went out side and our neighbor came to us and was like take this book read it and do it so my mom was like ok and she didnt pay n e attention and brought it in the house so that same night before i went to bed i read it and it was theee worst thing you could give to a person. It was saying how roman catholic was fake and that jesus calls it the religion for whor*s and saying that its fake and you should immedatly switch to protestant. I showed my mom and she quickly threw it away. Would you guys have the guts to give your neighbors such a thing if you know they had that religon?

Yea but, alot of religions, true or not, keep there followers in line..chritianity for example, its got it clear in there that there are commandments or rules, keeps people in line, im sure most religions have that, and i know alot of wars start because of it but comeon we're human, we'd find other reasons to start wars. just my opinionand about people not judging us if theres no religion, its crazy to think that, people are judged for everything they do thats not what the general people say is right.

Tetraca wrote:

It's been tried before, and the country that tried it collapsed in 1991.

A fundamentalist government based around athiesm just wouldn't work in this day and age unless you use an underdeveloped country because like I said in a previous post - the modernn world is too spoiled for such an expiriment to go through.

The reason for the Soviet Union's collapse was to a very high level of certainty _not_ atheism as the state's religion.

I consider atheism itself to be yet another kind of religion - "classical" religions are based on one or more gods; prophets or similar entities. Atheism is the exact opposite: Atheists belive that there is/are no god(s).

A world without "religion" would be rather agnostic ("we can't prove that there is a god, we can't prove that there is no god")...

Although I?m agnostic, I have nothing against the idea of religion and God as a whole. In fact, I respect others? beliefs as I feel that everyone is entitled to practice their religion and worship their respective Gods.I have mixed feelings about the question. There is, in essence, nothing wrong with the concept of religion. It allows many people to find solace, gives them something to believe in, provides them with hope, establishes the guiding principles of life to live by?The problem, as I see it, is interpretation.Too often, religion is used as a scapegoat; an excuse for the world?s problems. Religion can be a very subjective thing and (as extreme a comparison I might be making) like books and movies, have different meaning to different people.Problems arise when people fail to admit their problems and shift the blame. Rather than look inward, they displace outward and religion then becomes the vehicle to disseminate their problems. Hence, the whole ?these are my actions because it is what the *religious document* told me to do?. Religion when ?misinterpreted? by people in positions of power is even more tragic.I believe it was Karl Marx who once said ?Religion is the opiate of the masses?.I?ll end my post on that note.

A failed coup by yeltsin and Gorbechev's Democatization plan sealed the fate of U.S.S.R. according to Encyclopedia Armericana.My point with Soviet Russia was the fact they opressed rights. That didn't set in too well with the people.