xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Masuko Shintaro

Getting Started With Photoshop

A guide for beginners that are using Photoshop for the first time.

Step 1: Downloading Brushes

Ok, before you get started I suggest you get some decent brushes, some good ones can be found here: http://www.deviantart.com/

(Note: I have already searched Photoshop Brushes for you, that's where you'll find most brushes.)

Now for actually downloading. Click the pic of the brush set you think looks good which will link you to the download page, once you're there under the picture there will be "Download to Desktop". Click "Download to Desktop" and the download box will pop up, if it's a zip file just Open it and extract it to C: > Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop (version) > Presets > Brushes or if it's the direct file save it here: C: > Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop (version) > Presets > Brushes. (Note: These instructions are only for the site I directed you to, so for the rest you're on your own, except the part where you save the file that is.)

Oh ya, you'll need to reopen Photoshop to update Brushes.

Step 2: Creating a Image

It's as easy as 1, 2, 3. Go File > New, or for a shortcut, Ctrl + N.

Step 3: Your First Image

To get started with your image, you'll probably want to fill it with black. So, on the left of your screen there are your tools, so select the Paint Bucket Tool. When you've done that, look at the bottom of your tools list and you'll see the two color boxes. Change one to white by clicking on it and clicking the top left corner of the big box of colors, change the other to black by clicking on it and clicking the bottom right of the big box of colors. Ok, now for filling the background with black, select the black box and make sure the Paint Bucket Tool is out, then click on your picture.

Once thats done you will want to create a new layer to brush on so, On the bottom right of your screen you will see 6 buttons, click the second one from the right, that will create a new layer. So now you'll want to get brushing! Select your white box to switch to white, then select your Brush tool near the Paint Bucket tool. Once you've done that, pick your brush set I told you to download in Step 1. Ok, you've done that, so now you'll need to click/drag the brush around your image. And there, you've got a basic image.

Step 4: Adding Color

Ok, so you've got a boring, colorless image right? So let's make it a little more interesting and colorful. You know the New Layer button? Well, beside to the left, there's the button that's half white, half black, kinda like old age TV color. Click that button which will open a drop down list. On the list click Color Balance, so a box will pop up, adjust your Midtones, Shadows and Highlights color to change the color. And there, you're picture isn't so boring now, is it?

Step 5: Adding Text

Well, this is pretty easy. Before you do this, you might wanna download some fonts, this is a pretty good site for some: http://www.dafont.com/themes.php

Just like I gave you instructions for brushes, I'll do for fonts. That is the themes page, so pick a theme. When you do that, find an interesting font, and click "Download PC / Mac OS X" and same with brushes, if it's a zip file, open it and extract to C: > WINDOWS > Fonts.

Now for adding the text. Well first, you'll need to reopen Photoshop to update the Fonts. Ok, select the Text tool, again, near the other two tools I introduced to you. Once it's selected, Click somewhere on the image and start typing. And there's your text.

Step 6: Boring ol' text

Got some boring text, that's not colorful? Again, just like your brushing, it needs to be colored. But this time you cant use that handy Color Balance button can you eh? Well, right click your text layer and click Blending Options, In there, you will most likely want to add Color Overlay, of course, so go there and pick the color. Once you've done that, go to Stroke to make the text stand out more, I suggest making the size 1 - 2 and changing the color (With the color box, in the Stroke options) to black.

There's your first image, for more help talk to me, or some other good photoshop user, find some tutorials (Like we have in our Tutorial category) or just explore Photoshop.

Tell me if you found this useful.

Happy Image Making!

Notice from jlhaslip:
*edit to repair link for Brushes download as per Maine's post.*
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Should this be moved to the PhotoShop (gfx) tutorial sections? And maybe pin, it since this is something most people will look for like me if you are a beginner, and really never know crap about photoshop. :)

Anyways this is a great resource. I will share this link with some friends that need help with photoshop too. The only thing you could do is expand on some of the other features and stuff. Like button making. But again, nice tutorial! :)

You might mean this link: http://www.deviantart.com/

The other one, takes you to a blank search page.

Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

Oh this is a great tutorial, I've been using Psp for a long time and only use Photoshop for the brushes and stuff, I'm usually confused and stuck but thanks for sharing(:

That'd be great, I want to learn how to have a image have a line stretch on PS but I don't know how to :) If you know how to & would like to make a tutorial on it, I'd love you :)