xisto Community
realthor

What Do You Know Of Trusted Computers And Do You Agree?

This is a case of opinion and taste - How would you like it?well personally i examined it a while ago and i found this very fascinating.The fact that companies offer secured computers without the conceptionof the suffix vs prefix - and that way it can all mix up into what id like tocall a " remix ". This " remix " later on corrupts the hardware and (or) the software within the progressof the terminology os.oz.w8This debate is going on today - you know that google is your friend :)

Personally, I'm completely against pirating (exactly what the TPC is attempting to prevent) as it ruins entire game companies through the drain in profit. Amiga is an example, they went out of business due to the availability to pirated software. I honestly won't notice a change except when downloading music when the Trusted Platform Environment is introduced. Pirates already got a small taste of it with Microsoft's new Windows Genuine Advantage authentication. I am happy to see these things introduced as I can sit safer knowing that the companies that have a hard start at developing software, have a little more security against pirates. Basically, as long as you intend to purchase all of the software you use, you won't notice much of a difference.

I've read quite a bit about this Trusted Computing, and I personaly don't like the sound of it... Yes, it's cover story is great, stop piracy, and make people use legal versions of software... But has anyone stopped to think about privacy concerns? Software companies, or whoever get's to control those TP servers (90% certainty is that Micro$oft will control them), will be able to see anything on your hard drives, and all things you keep on your computer... And they could delete it without notice! Also, you won't be able to put new hardware into your computer, without authorisation from those who control the servers... So you could end up buying a new graphics card, and OS developer (mainly M$), could say: "OK, just pay us $100, and we'll authorise your new graphics card." Don't you think it's a bit too high price for stoping piracy? Where does it end?I really don't like the sound of all this Trusted Computing stuff, and it has actually pushed me over the edge, as I have been thinking of switching to Linux for a long time... But this is it, I'll switch there, and enjoy the world of OpenSource...Also, come to think of it, maybe this is another attempt of M$, to undermine spred of Linux...Oh, and did you know they put those TPM chips ever since 2002 or 2003, and nobody knew about it? If this is such a great thing, why keep it a secret? Think about it...

I've used my fair share of linux. (Redhat, Fedora Core 4) I consider it either the simplest or most complex operating system available. To carry out basic functions like e-mail, web browsing and other simple things like that are easy, but to get into the things most of us more advanced people in Windows do is much more complex. To install in Windows is a much more point and click type of idea, but in Linux, you usually have to run shell scripts (with exception of RPMs). Also, the filetypes are all different. Any person who is used to windows will have a hard time switching to Linux. EXEs are changed to RPM and SH. ZIP and RAR are changed to TAR.GZ. Also, if one is used to the command prompt in Windows, will be shocked to see a whole new world of commands. Plus, the directories are all different. C: is changed to / and D: (for most of us, anyways) is changed to /dev/mount (I believe there is another directory in mount, but it's been a while) A: is also somewhere in /dev/mount. Linux, also is alost easier to mess up if you don't know what you are doing (the root account can do anything). Linux is a great operating system, and if need be I will switch over to it again, but for now, I'm sticking with Windows.

its bad, the stuff like activation and the genuine thingo in windows is just painful, and the way windows gets confused when you change hardware in the pc. the funny thing is like every security measure before it someone will work out a way to bypass it and distribute it over the internet. if companies stopped charging so much for their software (and movies and games too) people would tend to buy more stuff.

I dont like the idea of giving up your freedom in hopes of protection...

Here is an animation; telling "trusted comp. is bad, very bad"

Posted Image

There is a web site working against it... (maybe there are many of them out there?)

Hate it, absoulultly hate it. They have no right, I emphasize NO RIGHT what we can do on our own devices. It makes sick the thought that they are trying to control every single thing we do. I'm so mad right now you wouldn't even believe it. Maybe some of you think I'm overreacting but if you take a step back and look at it, they are telling us what we can use our tech for. Now personally if I pay 500 dollars for a cell phone I believe I have the right to completly mess it up if I want to. So MAD right now. There are no word that can express my anger.

Edited by ZPGames (see edit history)