xisto Community
iwuvcookies

Joining The Marines Should i or not?

I don't really know much about the armed services. Just basic information that they give out to like get to snatched up in their service. I've been approached to join the Marines. I already applied to college and been accepted. The Marines was a possiblity at one point. Then for some reason the Srg. got a hold of me today.. I knew i shouldn't have picked up weird numbers. lol.Anyways he's gonna call again to follow up on me on Monday. So i'm asking if y'all know anything about the marines or the armed services in general. Right now I don't think I"m fit for the Marines. It would be nice to be in it though. Is it better to go to college to become a doctor or go through with the service?Here's what i'm thinking maybe one year of college than go off to Marines. I don't know what to think. Any help is appreciated.

I think it would be best just to go to college. Unless you're having some personal problems and you think that the heavy training in the marines will do you good :)

well basic training lasts 13 weeks in which you have to like train like hell basic pass, you have to be able to swim, do pull ups pushup, run fast 5-7 minute miles and then for for the last 3 days you get maybe 3-4 hours sleep total.you have to be able to shoot about 40 targets, learn most of the basic weapons that you will use, m16, m203, m249, m60, AT4, M67 (grenades). Lug around 100lb bag on your back with a ton of equipment. Most important try to stay awake when your in heated room that set at 90 degrees and drink lots of water.Also be able to do basic hand to hand combat techniques, take downs, throw down, kicks and al that good stuff. Also you have to constantly work out as well during all this. Also eat crappy food, MRE's and other good stuff.Once you pass all that and some other stuff your basically in and then your headed off to IRAQ. (do not select infantry)But if you want to become a officer/doctor I suggest you do the green to gold program at the college, cuz after you graduate from college you become a commision officer and then you start your medical training. In which you would be heading to iraq again after all that training and basiclly fix as many people as you can up.Have anymore questions post them.

what all the training and hardwork does'nat matter to me. I can commit to it. Even though I know most people say that. I'm a pretty hard working person. I don't really want to fix up soldiers and stuff. Lol. I guess its not for me then. But i was really interested. I know it sounds weird but I like the hardwork you describe. It empowers me. lol.. although i do not look fit for the part. I guess i should just go to University and start there...i just feel like missing out ons something great. lol.

Military never gets you anywhere, in my opinion. Especially the american government has a tendency to congratulate you on blowing up unarmed civilians, which is mostly what Iraq has been about... well, they were not all unarmed, but compared to the US forces they had sticks and stones... well, not really. The only good thing is to joing NATO or something and get posted to somewhere boring. Norway is great. No taxes, which are real high there. You earn nice, do nothing (unless you are in the Army, in which case prepare for very wet camping) and listen in on crazy stories about norwegians. The only disadvantage is that you have to stay away from home, but then the same goes for Iraq...

I don't really know much about the armed services. Just basic information that they give out to like get to snatched up in their service. I've been approached to join the Marines. I already applied to college and been accepted. The Marines was a possiblity at one point. Then for some reason the Srg. got a hold of me today.. I knew i shouldn't have picked up weird numbers. lol.
Anyways he's gonna call again to follow up on me on Monday.

So i'm asking if y'all know anything about the marines or the armed services in general. Right now I don't think I"m fit for the Marines. It would be nice to be in it though.

Is it better to go to college to become a doctor or go through with the service?

Here's what i'm thinking maybe one year of college than go off to Marines. I don't know what to think. Any help is appreciated.

Go to college first. Go in as an officer. The pay is better and you aren't a slave. Plus, if you go in while you are in professional school ( Medical School, Dental School, Law School, Vet School) they will pay a LARGE chunck of your school for you. That is the reason I chose to go in. And quite honestly, the benefits are great.

I saw a post saying "Dont pick infantry or your going to Iraq) that is NOT true. While the chance is greater to go to Iraq if you pick that MOS, it is not 100% that your going. They are pulling troops out left and right.

I think the military is a great experiance for anyone. I say go to college, join an ROTC program in college, then go for the gold. Dont go green when you are capable of gold!

Go to college first. Go in as an officer. The pay is better and you aren't a slave. Plus, if you go in while you are in professional school ( Medical School, Dental School, Law School, Vet School) they will pay a LARGE chunck of your school for you. That is the reason I chose to go in. And quite honestly, the benefits are great.
I saw a post saying "Dont pick infantry or your going to Iraq) that is NOT true. While the chance is greater to go to Iraq if you pick that MOS, it is not 100% that your going. They are pulling troops out left and right.

I think the military is a great experiance for anyone. I say go to college, join an ROTC program in college, then go for the gold. Dont go green when you are capable of gold!

exactly right, as far as making a future for yourself the other branches have much more to offer.
airforce is by far the best for tech training. but chech to see if they pay off school debts I know the AF will pay for college loans as long as you have a degree. plus still pay for further schooling.and officers pay is way freakin better that grunts.

I have to agree with PILOTO. That's exactly what I did after graduating high school back in 1984. I immediately went on to college and joined up with the ROTC. Then, in 1986, it was off to the Army where I went to Fort Campbell, KY, TF 1-160 SOAR(A) [160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment- Airborne - 1st Battalion]. The most exciting time was with the deployment to Iraq in October 1990 (I'm not going to mention Mogadishu, that was not what I call excitement). To make a long story short, I stuck around until 1996. Sure, officers get paid better than enlisted but there are some that still see combat deep within enemy territory. Stick with college for a year or two, then decide.

I don't know much about the Marines, since I've never been in it myself. My little brother wanted to join when he was 17, but my dad refused to sign the papers, telling him to at least try to get into college first. In the end, he ended up doing neither, even when he hit 18 and was able to sign the papers himself.. and now he's not really doing anything with his life. >.>It seems like if you've got nothing better to do, it can't hurt, although it's not for everyone. Either way, you're probably still young enough that you'll have plently of time to correct it later if you make the wrong choice. What's a few years? :B

if youre looking to be a doctor or something of that sort, the marines isnt for you. i was thinking about it at one time (recruiter still tries calling me) until i found out i was having a kid. anyways, marines doesnt do any medical believe it or not, all that is handledby the other branches for them (mainly the navy) and if youre thinking about the air force, keep in mind that they do credit checks lol

if youre looking to be a doctor or something of that sort, the marines isnt for you. i was thinking about it at one time (recruiter still tries calling me) until i found out i was having a kid. anyways, marines doesnt do any medical believe it or not, all that is handledby the other branches for them (mainly the navy) and if youre thinking about the air force, keep in mind that they do credit checks lol

Hahahha...no kidding credit checks whatever forits not like you are applying for a credit card or anything similar, they are the ones paying you right...not the other way round.Besides, are they working for the credit card companies to hunt down people with big debts going AWOL in Iraq?

In my personal openion, if a person has to go to Iraq, he/she should be forgiven of credit card debts at the very least.

Hahahha...no kidding credit checks whatever forits not like you are applying for a credit card or anything similar, they are the ones paying you right...not the other way round.Besides, are they working for the credit card companies to hunt down people with big debts going AWOL in Iraq?
In my personal openion, if a person has to go to Iraq, he/she should be forgiven of credit card debts at the very least.

i definately agree, if your going to defend the country, thats worth more than any debt i think anyone could be in. also, i think that with a military ID you should be able to drink anywhere, if your old enough to give your life for the US i think u should be old enough to drink

Basically I"m not going to the Marines anymore as I sort of wanted at some point in time. Thanks for all of your suggestions I know the Marines is not for me. I'm going straight to a university and sticking to it until medical school and further on. It was just the armed services provided some kind of reason for me to be proud. I wanted to be looked up to. lol. Plus they have all those perks and stuff. So its either I save people and not die or save people and might die? lol. Thanks again for everyones input. I'm going to be alive after all.

go and do tha marines Joining The Marines

you all shoud go to the marines if you can I that cant do it I want to go and do somethingFor my life I wanted to be come a marine all my oldther friends wer going and when the come back they told me the is hard and you dnt sleep for 2 days is all good because when be come a marine tha is the best thing that happes to you. I relly want to be amarine but I cant I was born in mexico and they dnt want me to be amarine so if you can I think that that shold do it YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO BE ALIFE ONES SO MAKE THE BEST OUT OF IT.

-reply by enriqeu

looking for some answersJoining The MarinesI am 29 years old with a wife and two kids and I am really wanting to go to the marines. I just don't know if its a good idea. If anyone was in a similar situation, I would like to know your thoughts on this. I have talked to a recruiter but I know that they can stretch the truth a little, but I do understand that I will be away from my family for a least a year, and that would be ok if it would benefit them in the long run. So, if anyone could help me it would be appricated.-reply by Wooten