xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Moolkye

Joomla Cms Portal I need some help with a template design

If there is anyone out there who is familiar with this CMS and knows about their template design, can you please speak up. It seems like no one at Joomla.org ever answers any of the questions I pose. So if at all possible help me, or point me in the right directions that would be most appreciated.

I am currently using a header image that is 850 x 150 and I am using a variable width template. The page looks nice in 800x600 mode, but go to a higher resolution and you get a nice white gap on the left hand side of my header image. I was wondering if I should use a spacer image for the fillin, or, well I don't know an "or".

Here is the site
http://www.genotec.ch/

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance

What about finding the Main CSS file and adding some background colour to the html element or the body element?
Here is the css file:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
I didn't see the link posted in the Original Post.
I don't have a monitor that will re-create the problem, so you will have to find out which element is exposed and add some colour to its background. Maybe you will be able to centre the header a similar way? Looks like the source for the page is just a big (complex) table based design, so it shouldn't be too tough to track it down.

I am currently using a header image that is 850 x 150 and I am using a variable width template. The page looks nice in 800x600 mode, but go to a higher resolution and you get a nice white gap on the left hand side of my header image.

I'm not seeing that. In fact, it looks more wrong at 800 x 600 than it does at 1024 x 780.

well like, someone suggested, go into the CSS file, and try and change the BAckground settings for the head DIV (assumng there is one), then set somethign which will just tile acorss to fit the width and have ur own banner center, and blending into the tiled background. . . . . . orrrrrrr jus simpyl make it fixed width. . . . that'll Ax alot of your problems :)and you won't really need it to be variable width anyways, unless u plan to have a lot of content on one page at one time.up to you really.i would personally make it fixed width, and if u dnt know how, find another template :)if u need some resources, jus say and i'll post a few good sites here.good luck

I was thinking about making fixed width, which is no easy task. I tried, but it doesn't center properly. I just wish they made this stuff easier to understand.Ya know? Like, here is my site now center it and if someone maximizes it, center it there too.But Nooooooooo, too easy to make a programming language sound like a real language. :)

If there is anyone out there who is familiar with this CMS and knows about their template design, can you please speak up. It seems like no one at Joomla.org ever answers any of the questions I pose. So if at all possible help me, or point me in the right directions that would be most appreciated.
I am currently using a header image that is 850 x 150 and I am using a variable width template. The page looks nice in 800x600 mode, but go to a higher resolution and you get a nice white gap on the left hand side of my header image. I was wondering if I should use a spacer image for the fillin, or, well I don't know an "or".

Here is the site
http://www.genotec.ch/

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I am experiencing your problem.
You may have to set a fixed width for the body. That way it will always be the same size, no matter who's screen it is on. Don't take me for an expert on CSS though; I can barely fix my own site, which looks horrible in IE. (I am using Mambo, which you should know is closely related to Joomla!.)