xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
elevenmil

Minimum Characters In Posts

Looks like a great idea. Anything to solve the problem of spam posts. Depending on the setting used, this mod could be very useful. I wonder if there is a mod to stop the use of multiple characters such as this... "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That is something I find annoying, it could also be used to get around the minimum characters mod too I guess.

Yeah but some posts can be made in a small amount of words if you are answering a question. Like Avalon said though we need something to get rid of multiple characters. If someone wants to make a post but don't have a certain number of characters I am sure they will start to add in their name to sign it off which will get them in more trouble, or they will start saying little things that aren't needed in a post. "How are you?" "I really really really hope this helps you out" etc;

I don't believe there is a mod for what you're suggesting but you wouldn't necessarily need a modification for that...

All you would really have to do is log into acp and add these !!!!!!!!'s and such into the bad word filter. Even though that's not the purpose of it that's one way the problem you mentioned could be solved.

Yeah but some posts can be made in a small amount of words if you are answering a question.

Answering questions on this forum should not consist yes or no's. You are to contribute everytime you post, I truely believe there isn't any reason why each post made isn't longer than one line in length. Look through my post history and find all the one liners I've made, needle in a haystack-type comparison. There's no valid reason to post less than 40-50 characters in one post, that's just my opinion.

I have to agree with elevenmil here. Even if a question can be answered in yes or no, I wil always stretch it out as long as possible, even going into detrails that might not be totally needed. It gives added information, and then also contributes well to the forum. For instance, I could have said, I agree with pleno, but I consider that spam. By going into detail, like I am now, it does more. Anyway, as I was saying, the real problem we have on here is the fact that when you have few points, it is easy to get more. I mean, seriously, you can make a tiny post and get a credit for it. for this one I may only get .60. The mods can always crack down on the spammers too if needed. But again, it becomes hard to discern. The easiest thing to do is to make a minimun post length, and then install a module to inforce it. If a question needs to be answered, then the person can take the extra time to give resources or even his/her opinion if needed.

Edited by wild20 (see edit history)

At Xisto, I had installed this mod. But then, the members did have a point. Hard points can be often put down in a single sentence. Hence, having such a lock was not favourable members who have a habbit of making small but meaningful posts.As Xisto's entire pointing system is based on Credits and not Posts, We can calculate the value of the post according to its section, Quality and rank it accordingly. Hence, We don't face such a problem here :-)

Even if a question can be answered in yes or no, I wil always stretch it out as long as possible, even going into detrails that might not be totally needed.

If you've just written a lengthy explanation as to how something should be be done and the other person asks for clarification by saying: "So I should do....such and such?" and they've clearly understood the concept because their question is right, the obvious answer is 'yes' without the need to repeat everything you've already said.

Always suggesting and not arguing! :)I still feel members should be obligated to post at least 40-50 characters per post, maybe smaller for what you mentioned OpaQue. I always hate seeing 4 or 5 word posts that I don't see as much anymore because I'm not on here all the time like I used to be. But since this mod had already been tested on the site and you don't feel the need for it, then be-gone with the idea!

yeha, it might have sounded like a good one but some posts dont require a long post...lol off with this ideals beleated head!!

Looks like a great idea. Anything to solve the problem of spam posts. Depending on the setting used, this mod could be very useful. I wonder if there is a mod to stop the use of multiple characters such as this... "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That is something I find annoying, it could also be used to get around the minimum characters mod too I guess.

Hey, but what about all those [X][X][X] in peoples signatures? Or is that different than an actual post? I would have a problem with a minnimum character limit in posts as well. Sometimes one sentence can make a point rather well. :)

As Xisto's entire pointing system is based on Credits and not Posts, We can calculate the value of the post according to its section, Quality and rank it accordingly. Hence, We don't face such a problem here :-)

I don't think the number of credits for posts is so much the issue here. We all know that a small spam post does not earn much in the way of credits. It's more a matter of trying to stop these spam posts altogether, if that is possible.

I totally agree with avalon, their no real solution to getting rid of spam altogether, except for deleting them and catching people doing it. It's true some post require 3-4 words while others require alot of words.But I think though if we had used the old credit system then maybe the mod would be more effective. But with the upgrade the mod is not really needed.