xisto Community
apexbug

What Is The Fourth Dimension? something like a hypercube...?

I recently heard from one of my cousins about the fourth dimension. Have you heard of it so far ?? Well, to explain it,it is something like a hypercube. A point is a zero dimensional object. If you drag this point along the x axis,you get a line a one dimensional object.If you drag this line along the y axis you get a square which is a two dimensional object. If you drag this square along the z axis you get a cube which is a three dimensional object.And if you drag this cube along the ana and kata directions ,bingo !!!! we get a four dimensional object. But wait,what are these ana and kata directions. They are assumed to be the axis which form the foruth dimesnion. So if such a dimension exists ,we'd probably be unaware of things that exist in that world. It opens up an ocean of possibilities. But is it true ?? GOD KNOWS !!! If any of you have any knowledge about fourth dimension please post it here . :)

Notice from serverph:
description added.

Most people consider the 4th dimension to be time or change, as this is another way to measure something. For example, a book could be 21cm wide, 30cm high, 6cm deep and 6 months old. 4 measurements, 4 dimensions. Some people then derive a theory that we can resize things along the x, y and z axis, so why not along time, so theories of time travel are then linked in.There are also theories of a 5th dimension, but this gets incredibly complicated and confusing, and there are still a lot of people that believe we couldn't get as far as a 5th dimension.

I've heard a bit about the fourth dimension in my Math Applications class. I haven't heard much of course because there isn't much on it, you see. I saw how they were using computer data and binary coding to make the hypercubes and I even tried my hand at trying to create a hyper cube, (not pretty,) but I never actually heard the full method to creating one. The fourth dimension- sounds like something you would hear about in a science fiction movie doesn't it? I think that if we could access this rare and hard to find dimension, that we could open up a whole new method of seeing things and we might be able to access better technologies. What do you think could be helped by this discovery? I truely am not sure.

I agree with the time thing. I dont think there can be another physicall dimension on an object, unless its because we probably cant see it, and if we could I suppose everything would be different than how we used to see it. Maybe it could be something relatively equal to the shadow of things. Like we can see the object has a shadow but when we touch it, we cant. Aaaa, Im confused already.

lol.. hypercube.. i dont' think there are such thing. A pologon can have many sides, but no matter how you look at it, you can only see; length, width, and height. It's pretty hard to imagine a 4th physical demension since it is out our our comprehension.And yes , the fouth dimension has to be time. For those that know about einstien's special relativity theory, time isn't constant, so we can consister it as a dimension. Imagine if you were to live in a 1 dimension world, you might not be able to see anything (other 1 dimension creature) or move around freely, you will stuck in one place forever. In a 2 dimensional world, all you can see are lines and you can only move up, down, left, right. Those are the only direction a two dimensional creature can move. Next comes the 3 dimensional work, this time, you don't need to imagine because you could already see 3 dimensional objects now and can move freely everywhere you want.In all 3 worlds (1, 2, and 3 dimensional worlds), you won't be able to do much since time is not one of the varible. Time describe movement of objects, since there is no time, creatures that live in a 1,2, and 3 dimensional world cannot move or possibbly exist since they cannot think or do anything. The fourth dimension world is what we are living in right now. As i'm typing my thoughts right now, you can probably guess that i have to move my fingers inorder to type. This shows that time does exist in our world and therefore we are living in a 4 dimensional world.LOL... i hope what i just typed is coherent.

I guess 4 D is the next step after 3 D. LOL It all sounds very interesting. I like to think that there could be further dimentions that we can not see. It just makes some of the crazy things that we imagine all the more possible. :)

There are two theories for the fourth dimension, as I understand it:1) A Spatial dimension. Which is the theory relevant to your example of a hypercube. I don't believe this as much as I do the other theory, because I don't see the hypercube! I've seen pictures of it, I mean, but I don't understand how it is more than three dimensional. This is probably because It's presented to me in a 2dimensional format: on a piece of paper. But because I haven't taken the time to figure it out and haven't seen it as of yet, I don't imagine the fourth dimension as being spatial.2) A non-spatial dimension: Time. Einstein, and others, have considered the fourth dimension to be time, as in change. When talking about graphs, or planes, with this dimension I picture it as more than one graph. The X, Y, and Z spatial dimensions are easily depicted on a graph, but when you change time the graph grows or decays in some way, thus turning into a new graph. so yes... =pA good example for why I think that (multiple graphs - time as fourth) is an example that was given in a discussion on these forums. Suppose we lived in a 2 dimensional world. Now, suppose we add a third dimension into our two dimensional world. As we go up the newly added z-axis, we have a new world in it of itself. When talking about the fourth dimension, I imagine a new graph for every spot on its axis. Not sure how correct this is, but it's how I imagine it.

Think of it this way.... we see a point. That's the first demension. It's not actually 1D, it's just a symbolic representation that we would use on a map for example. Now, what ways are there to duplicate that point on the same area? Another point right? Now we have 2 points, on the same area... 2 demensional! 2 Axis now exist. Now, lets think... What ways are there to have another point, on top of the original point? Add another axis! Now we have 3 axii, and they would have overlapped if it was 2D or 1D. Now, how can we have the point overlap in a 3D axis? We can't add another axis.... that's impossible! But we can duplicate the axis. Imagine a cube with a point in it. How can we have the point in the exact location of the cube, but not actually overlapping? That's the concept of the 4th demension... time! Using different time, we are able to have 2 points in the same space, without overlapping each other.Imagine the transparent cube with a point in it. Suddenly that point disappears. 1 minute later, another point replaces it. We have achieved having 2 points in the same space without overlapping each other by having them there in different times. That's the same as having 2 points in a cube, one closer and one farther, but having the same distance to the 4 edges. While they don't overlap, they are the in the same y and x coordinates. But what changes it, is the z coordinate, which allows 2 points to have the same space, in a different dimension. The 5th demension? Think this: How can we have 2 points, in the same space, and same time? Alas, that is currently not possible, unless the 5th dimension compromises the concept of overlapping...

Think of it this way.... we see a point. That's the first demension. It's not actually 1D, it's just a symbolic representation that we would use on a map for example. Now, what ways are there to duplicate that point on the same area? Another point right? Now we have 2 points, on the same area... 2 demensional! 2 Axis now exist. Now, lets think... What ways are there to have another point, on top of the original point? Add another axis! Now we have 3 axii, and they would have overlapped if it was 2D or 1D. Now, how can we have the point overlap in a 3D axis? We can't add another axis.... that's impossible! But we can duplicate the axis. Imagine a cube with a point in it. How can we have the point in the exact location of the cube, but not actually overlapping? That's the concept of the 4th demension... time! Using different time, we are able to have 2 points in the same space, without overlapping each other.
Imagine the transparent cube with a point in it. Suddenly that point disappears. 1 minute later, another point replaces it. We have achieved having 2 points in the same space without overlapping each other by having them there in different times. That's the same as having 2 points in a cube, one closer and one farther, but having the same distance to the 4 edges. While they don't overlap, they are the in the same y and x coordinates. But what changes it, is the z coordinate, which allows 2 points to have the same space, in a different dimension. The 5th demension? Think this: How can we have 2 points, in the same space, and same time? Alas, that is currently not possible, unless the 5th dimension compromises the concept of overlapping...

i don't feel the fourth demension has to do with time. i feel that has to do with the fifth and time travel is only a means to reach the fifth demension. the fouth i believe has to do with location and something that isn't solid matter. while the fifth has to do with location and time. all demensions incorporate all other demensions and you can't reach 1 demension without going through all others before it

it's true we don't use the majority of the resources our mind has to offer. in fact we use very little and believe it's our mind that is the tool to reach the 4th and 5th demensions. i believe the fourth has to do with being in two locations at once. one location being contstant, the other location NOT constant in and at the same time. the third is what we live in. it allows us to be in one location only that is not constant.

i'm getting confused now haha whatever....

I remember my teacher telling us about this. She said time is the most accepted theory, she showed us a video (which I did not understand much) where a train would pass a certain point and block the sun and other things that I really did not get.It's interesting stuff.

Well I guess it would be interesting to know what it is. I'm sticking with my time thing :) because I read it somewhere, and it hyptonized me. But sure, I would like to hear more opinions!

You can argue the point as much as you like, but the facts are -Fourth dimension is time measurement added to the physical world required by Einsteins theories.Fifth dimension is an abstract physics hypothetical idea used in many physics theories.There is nothing abnormal about these concepts.

I never heard 5th dimension before... But I agree on 4th dimension, it's not something magnificent... It's just time...

We are moving in time, we are changing postion in time... So there must me an axis for it too.

Imagine you are giving out direction:

0 is my reference point (where I stand).

Go 4 meter in +X, (out of my room)

go 3 meter in -Y, (out of the corridor)

and +2 meter in Z. (up stairs)

There you will see my father.

Ah but I forgot to say, he's just gone to work... So you need to go -10 minutes in T axis to see him in that position.

Jeeze, i love the What is section, you learn so much. I dont know about all this time stuff, i just like to leave it for the scientist's and use it when i get older XD