xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dazappa

Are They Private Or *pirate Servers? mostly about rs

Most of the time these "private" servers are really pirate servers. If you ever see a runescape "private" server, it is a pirate server and you should not go there. Also if you somehow decide you want to play on one of these servers, DO NOT put your official runescape password in there as many people are just trying to steal your account. Making a runescape private server is illegal! People who have made these servers have managed to steal or make the runescape server code. I don't know about other games and their private servers but as for runescape its illegal and you should not do it.Post your opinions here about runescape private servers or other private servers and if they're illegal or not.

Someone i know has a program for making a custom or private server for tibia. It think it is a very good idea as you can have great fun by modding the items and maps but it does have security risks. As you suggested they could be used to steal passwords which of course is not good. Im guessing by the way they work they would not use the official game servers to validate a login so you could probably log in with a different user/pass combination than your real one. I think if a decent person makes a private server its a great thing however if a cracker etc... creates one its not so good. So anyone planning on playin on a private server try not to use the propper user/pass combination as dazappa said, chances are it wont validate it and it will let you log on as anyone with any password or username. and if in doubt dont risk it!

Gravity, I remember sometime back, sued a guy for making a Ragnarok Online private server. It was a really big one so word got out pretty fast.

I guess... privates servers are best for a large group of friends only? Private.

I don't think private servers are pirate servers. It's there because it's private and not public. Whether or not the owner of the private servers will steal passwords, that we all won't know unless you specially tell us which private servers did that. Otherwise, it's still wise not to use the same password for the public and private servers.The objective of having a private server is because they can host games without any charges and play according to their server set of rules. In public servers, it's controlled by the game developer. Of course, there's always an offside thinking that because private servers doesn't charge for gameplay, therefore it's pirating games. Still the official game client have to be paid for. For example World of Warcraft. You would have to buy a legit copy of WoW in order to play in public and private games. You can never find another place to download the client game for free. Hence I don't think it's pirating games by hosting a private server.If the client games are free to download, and whether or not the game play on the public servers are chargable, hosting a private server still doesn't pirate the game simply because it's free to download.

all a private server is is a virtual server its a virtual enviroment on a physical server and it is called a private server as the other virtual users on that server cant get to your account thats why its called a private server.its basically the same as a dedicated server but cheaper.

Edited by mxweb (see edit history)

Still illegal.Are They Private Or *pirate Servers?Okay, we all know that private servers ARE Illegal, I own my own Maple story server and Ragnarok Online private servers, I won't deny it but, any software that Nexon, Gravity, or any company not being used by gravity or Nexon is officially illegal, no one else is supposed to use there software THEY created. Which is illegal if you didn't know. I really don't care, just pointing it out.-reply by Zaranth

Is it illegal to play a 508 Runescape Server? My friend has been trying to find this out forever and everyone has different comments...  I need someone to answer this question and that knows stuff about this...Please!

Question: Is it illegal to ply508 Runescape Server?

Answer: Yes or No!

No itAre They Private Or *pirate Servers?

No, it is not illegal to play on a private server unless you are aware that it was stolen.Imagine this: You come across a completely known game that happened to have been stolen. You don't even know the original game it was stolen from, so how are YOU supposed to know it was stolen? For all you know you are playing on the real one. At least that's what you think.So really, you can't be cuffed for accidentally playing a game that was stolen. It might not be your fault.-reply by Adam

Private ServersAre They Private Or *pirate Servers?

I need a difinitive answer to my two questions. I was thinking of making my own private server for RuneScape - just for me. Is this illegal? Will I lose my RuneScape account if Jagex finds out about this? I really enjoy playing RuneScape, and I have put a lot of work into my character. I really would not want to be banned by Jagex! Sometimes, I just would like to be by myself instead of trying to help out a lot of my online friends all at once (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy helping them. Sometimes it can be a hassle though because I want to develop my character as well!). Please help me! I'm so confused because this website says that private servers are illegal, but another website I went to said that it is perfectly legal because Jagex's Terms and Conditions doesn't specify anything about them.

-question by Unknown

Private ServerAre They Private Or *pirate Servers?

I, myself, run a private server. Depending on your country's laws it may or may not be illegal. In the United States, it's perfectly legal. Since most "sources" are released under the GPL license, Jagex has no business interfering with such software or the rights of people to host, modify, and/or sell it. You may even charge players to play your "private server" or accept donations because of the fact the software is under the GPL license. Of course, if you make a certain amount of money you are obligated to pay taxes on your income UNLESS you have tax exempt status with your state and take in donations.

-reply by Anonymous

RuneScape privates servers are legal 100%, it's what your using to make them. If you look at Jagex's TOS (Terms of Service) It does not indicate at all that this is illegal, and is a fault on their par. As for your distrust of private servers, if you see a well dedicated server, with over fifty people playing of course you can trust em. You are just being over protective, and using facts you do not have. Most private servers are illegal, but according to Jagex's TOS it is not. 

-reply by The Truth

I don't think private servers of online games are pirates. (I'll be talking about something I'm not sure of. So if you have information that disagrees with the following, please inform me. Thanks.)I heard/read a few years back that the license of most online games doesn't include the server hosting or things like it. This is to free them from any responsibilities in case something happens to the server and files get deleted. If you're an avid MMORPG gamer, you surely have experience rollbacks. During these instances, the "free of responsibility" takes into effect. You can shout all you want but the game host isn't responsible for anything that may have been lost during any rollbacks. And to appease the gamers, they provide freebies like 2x on experience or better drop rate. This is mostly true to online games that are offered as free (but with an online store for premium items). If someone creates his own server of a game, it's not illegal. Unless, of course, the gamehost has licensed something that gives him monopoly of the game hosting.Please be reminded that I'm just talking about something I'm not entirely sure of.