xisto Community
autumn_in_bethany

For Harry Potter Haters

Don't be so stupid as to say 'omg I well hate harry potter - I watched the movies and they were boring so I just didn't bother with it ever again! its just for kidz lolz'That's simply ridiculousThe books are almost completely separate things from the moviesMOST people who have read the books dislike the movies anywayI agree completely that the Harry Potter films are made for a young audienceAnd books 1 and 2 are also made for a young audienceBut beyond that the books contain some quite adult themes, and were definately written with a more 'young adult' audience in mind. In shortPeople who have only seen the movie, you have no idea whether or not you like Harry Potterbecause Harry Potter is a character in a book. The films are nothing like it =)

I'm a "grown up" that is totally hooked on Harry Potter. I saw the first two movies before I read the books. It's amazing, especially with the last two books, how much they can cut from the books and still make a movie that makes sense. That being said, the books are much better than the movies.

the books would mature with the kids that are reading them, I've personally not seen the movies or read the books, any book that is read by so many young children is a book I will not read, i prefer stories not based on children in magic schools, a couple of my favourite authors are terry brooks and terry goodkind who have written some amazing stories (ones that would definately not be read by young children)

is it really that amazing? i mean i haven't read any of the books and i've only watched parts of some of the movies, but it really didn't get my attention. i tried hard, but i just can't. i dunno why. magic and fiction are some of the concepts that i like, but i dunno why this one really didn't make me interested at all.

the books would mature with the kids that are reading them

That's so true. I read the first book for the first time in third grade. Now I'm in 9th grade, and I've read each one as it came out and liked them, but sometimes find it a pain to go back and read the first ones that I used to enjoy so much.

is it really that amazing? i mean i haven't read any of the books and i've only watched parts of some of the movies, but it really didn't get my attention. i tried hard, but i just can't. i dunno why. magic and fiction are some of the concepts that i like, but i dunno why this one really didn't make me interested at all.

Have you not listened to anything at all in this thread? The movies suck, almost everyone in this thread so far would agree. Read the book, don't watch the movie.

I did not dislike the movies. In fact I think they were pretty good. I loved the surrealism and magical scenes, I havent seen the first two though. I kind of saw the third one on dvd, and when the fourth one came me and my girfriend had to take her little sister to see it, and I was impressed it exceeded my expectationes. I most probably wouldnt see those movies again, but I will see the new ones, I kind of hate seeing movies again, I dont know why. I would never ever see the lord of the rings again, just thinking about sitting there for 3 hours, maybe in a decade....

I hate J.K. Rowling right now not Harry. I found out that in the 6th book Dumbledore dies and an the 7th just about everyone but Harry dies. Including Ron, Snape, Hagrid, Harmonie, and Voldamort. Thats all I know there may be more people.-reply by Uknown

i hate harry potter. i used to like it but i'm older now. its only for young children. i mean all they do is "kill voldemort" i'm sooooooo scared. "abra cadabra" kill all the really evil dudes!

i hate harry potter. i used to like it but i'm older now. its only for young children. i mean all they do is "kill voldemort" i'm sooooooo scared. "abra cadabra" kill all the really evil dudes!

a) its avada kedavra

:lol: ur hardly too old to enjoy hp. ur in the seventh grade, joe. Walshie still loves the books, and hes way more mature then you.

an the 7th just about everyone but Harry dies. Including Ron, Snape, Hagrid, Harmonie, and Voldamort. Thats all I know there may be more people.

U sir, are a moron. ron, hermione(which you misspelt) and hagrid survived. idiot.

Notice from Kubi:
These kind of comments towards other members are neither appreciated or accepted. Warning issued.

guys you are going of topic here.:)I saw the first movie before reading the books. Quite frankly i found the movie irritating and decided to check the book out - to realize the hype that was harry potter.Let me tell you one thing whether you like the harry potter books or not Rowling is one of the most imaginative, innovative and brilliant authors I have read. Considering the age group she writes for she has maintained the sophistication to a minimum. The description of the universe she created it wonderful and appealing. I must say the universe had me in wraps when i started reading the books. Though the movies always disappointed me, the books always managed to pique my interest. There is a certain picture you create in your mind when you read the books, the movies never lived up to my imagination though they were restricted by time always.I do not follow the millions of fanfictions that people follow but I will surely catch any other pieces of fiction that woman creates.

I enjoyed the movies quite a bit. They are rather good, especially for children's movies which I tend to loathe. (Really bad acting and poor writing, no thanks.) The first couple of the movies are rather faithful to the books as well. The first is almost verbatim. After the third, I believe, I started to read the books as well. and found them to be very entertaining. Rowling writes teen aged children very believably, especially where their romances are concerned. I am able to enjoy both the books and the movies for what they are. I did think Order of the Phoenix felt a bit rushed, but it is a decent sized book. To dismiss the books, as one poster indicated, based on the target audience is severely limiting yourself. I found the potter books to be just as entertaining as an of Brooks' works. (Really, I think Brooks has been rehashing the same story and characters since "The Elfstones of Shannara".) Works like "Bridge to Teribethia" (the book) or "A Fine White Dust" are excellent. Then there are the works of Judy Blume or A.A. Milne even Shel Silverstien and a load of others. Read any Newberry winners winners and your in for more originality than latest Court room drama or Clancy novel.

I used to LOVE harry potter, I read the first book when I was quite young though and kept going.They are mainly aimed at children though but since I started off the story as a kid, you just kind of feel compelled to follow Harry to the end of his journey so to speak...The movies are not nearly as good as the books either... adaptations of books are practically never as good as the original book