xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LeeSUHH

Google A Number?

when i was in 5th grade, which was 5 years ago, this was right when google first came out i think...anyways, i remember my 5th grade teacher telling me that the word google was the biggest number possible and that it was bigger than infinity. Back then i believed it but then you really think about it, how is a number even possibly bigger than infinity if infinity goes on FOREVER?and is googe EVEN a number?????anybody know?

A tiny bit of researched about Google brought me this usefull information concerning their name

What's a Google?
"Googol" is the mathematical term for a 1 followed by 100 zeros. The term was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner, and was popularized in the book, "Mathematics and the Imagination" by Kasner and James Newman. Google's play on the term reflects the company's mission to organize the immense amount of information available on the web.

I hope this has any use for you.. ^^

Googol is a number which is 1 followed be 100 zeros.

A googol is the large number 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, that is, the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros. One way of grasping its size is that it is equivalent to multiplying 1 million by 1 million 16 times, then further multiplying that by ten thousand. The term was coined in 1938 by nine-year-old Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner. Kasner popularized the concept in his book Mathematics and the Imagination.
Using the short scale, a googol is equal to ten duotrigintillion. Using the long scale, it is equal to ten thousand sexdecillion (or sedecillion), or ten sexdecilliard/sedecilliard.

<_<

A googolplex is a number that is 1 followed by a googol of zeroes.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googolplex
Notice from rejected:
Put materials from other websites in quotes. Warning issued.

Edited by rejected (see edit history)

when i was in 5th grade, which was 5 years ago, this was right when google first came out i think...
anyways, i remember my 5th grade teacher telling me that the word google was the biggest number possible and that it was bigger than infinity. Back then i believed it but then you really think about it, how is a number even possibly bigger than infinity if infinity goes on FOREVER?

and is google EVEN a number?????

anybody know?

Google is a number. i.e. one followed by a hundred zeroes like all have said it right here.

But it isnt greater than infinity. Read on!

Googol is a number which is 1 followed be 100 zeros.
A googol is the large number 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, that is, the digit 1 followed by one hundred zeros. One way of grasping its size is that it is equivalent to multiplying 1 million by 1 million 16 times, then further multiplying that by ten thousand.

Using the short scale, a googol is equal to ten duotrigintillion. Using the long scale, it is equal to ten thousand sexdecillion (or sedecillion), or ten sexdecilliard/sedecilliard.

A googolplex is a number that is 1 followed by a googol of zeroes.

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googolplex

This tells you that Googolplex is a really big number.

But just add one more zero to it. You will get a number 10 times greater than the previous number!
This means that "Infinity" is undefined. You cant tell what is infinity.

I thought that is was a bunch of Geese. Oh wait!! That's a Gaggle. Hahahah start a search engine called gaggle and rival google. Wow. that would be a site A google of gaggles!

Infinity isn't a number, and thus a number can't be "bigger" than a concept.Infinity is just the state of going on for ever...

Ture. The largest number doesn't exist. If you can think of one, just add 1. So, infinity although a state of forever, signifies or denotes the largest or smallest numbers. Math though a universal language, is somethign that has been around since time was time, before humans or language. I have often thought that math or numbers, the only conastant thing in the universe, is somehow related to God. Seeing how he has been around the same amount of "time".

google s a number like what one of the people said but no matter how many zeros after a number nothing is bigger than infinty. infinty is a concept that was made just to say that it represents a number that never comes to an end so effectively no matter how big it goes it just keeps going !!!

Everyone is incorrect about the Google. Google is the name of a company while a googol is the large number that you are talking about. A little bit of reasearch leads me to a bit more googol number related info:

As pointed out, a Google/googol is a very large number, 1 followed by one hundred zeros. A googolplex however is even larger, it is a 1 followed by a Google of zeros. This number is so unfathomably large that it is greater than the known number of particles in the universe. Even if all of the matter in the universe was changed into paper or disk drives, it would still not be possible to write down a googolplex in its full form! It is not surprising that Google's headquarters is named the "GooglePlex"!

Nothing of course can be larger than infinity.

Here's a few facts about infinity (I couldn't find very much):

*The sign for infinity is a 8 on its side.

*There are three types of infinity; math infinity, phisics infinity and philosophical infinity.

*It is impossible for something to be phisically infinate, at least according to current scientific belief.

I would tend to diagree on the last one. Space is infinite. Smallness and biggness are infinitie. Just my opinion

Space is not known to be infinate.
"Biggness" is limited to the amount of available space.
"Smallness" is limited to one atom.

Google is a number, a very big number, but there is no such thing as the biggest number. The real number system is not closed, there are no ends on each side of the real number line. I wonder why they give a name to a number. It seems that this number is quite useless. To name a big number, we usually just add an exponential.