xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Man Hacks Into Government Searching For Ufos

Summary

This young man, interested in UFO?s and aliens was watching a movie of a teenage boy that hacked into the U.S government system and almost started World War 3. This got this man started on hacking computers. After he bought a book he found out how to hack into the government security system. Using the username of Solo he was able to get right in. It turns out the government use an insecure Microsoft Windows program that didn?t require a password. Still burning. This caused $700,000 of damage and crippled a vital defensive system just after September 11. This man is being treated as a terrorist and could face up to 70 years in jail.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

What a crazy man. Some of this is too hard to believe. He says he has found all of these different things but it doesn?t seem real. If it is then there is a lot that the government isn?t telling us. He says he will reveal more at the right time. What is really hard to believe is the fact that the man got in with no password supposedly. I am surprised that the government isn?t trying to keep all of his information a secret because he might let something else out. I hope they made changes to their system because now I bet other people now are looking into hacking into the United States government.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/--

That news article seems to have dissappeared from yahoo... maybe it was old, or maybe Yahoo! was told that story and posted it as news, but then found out that their wasn't signifigant evidence supporting the story.

Well, judging by the link, I guess its a bit recent. Look at the link, it has the following date: 2006 04 27 , that was like a couple of days ago, well actually about a week or so now. I bet the government made yahoo and everybody else erase the news to keep people away from their systems so they wont be hacked until they find a better program, or until they figure out how to put a password on it. lOl. Anyways, that is really interesting, though kind of unfair to loose 70 years of your life for being curios. Like they say, curiosity killed the cat. But I dont think he should be treated as a terrorist though, the other day I read about this horrible prison for terrorists in the rocky mountains in colorado, and I dont think a person like him would deserve to be there.

They are probably like microsoft and have like 40 computers blocking all hacking attempts.

yes teh probably have a lot of security...shame its cr*p <_< Like the hacker before that hacked into the US government i think he shiuld be awarded...we need more of these people around...the government needs to know we wont just sit back and accept their lies, that we know they are lying and that we will find out the truth. If it was a hoem computer that was hacked the government woud have said 'shame' They are just paranoid because they know what they have stored in their systems and they are worried that we might find out. They need to get a grip.
Although i do find it funny that after one of the bigegst terrorist attacks recorded ONE man who just read a book was able to hack the government and disable security measures....that could have bin anyone...could have been a REAL terrorist and then what would have happened?

heres the story

taken from shoutwire

By Michael Holden Thu Apr 27, 11:20 AM ET
LONDON (Reuters) - To the United States, he is a seriously dangerous man who put the nation's security at risk by committing "the biggest military computer hack of all time."
ADVERTISEMENT

But Briton Gary McKinnon says he is just an ordinary computer nerd who wanted to find out whether aliens and UFOs exist.

During his two-year quest, McKinnon broke into computers at the
Pentagon,
NASA and the Johnson Space Center as well as systems used by the U.S. army, navy and air force.

U.S. officials say he caused $700,000 worth of damage and even crippled vital defense systems shortly after the September 11 attacks.

The unemployed computer programmer is now battling extradition to the United States, where, if found guilty, he faces up to 70 years in jail and fines of up to $1.75 million. His lawyer fears he could even be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

It's all a far cry from how he first got into hacking: watching a film about a teenage boy who breaks into a military central computer and almost starts World War Three.

"I had seen the film 'War Games' and I do remember clearly thinking at the time, that's amazing -- a great big military computer system and a young, spotty teenager," the softly spoken 39-year-old told Reuters in an interview.

"HACKER'S HANDBOOK"

A decade later, McKinnon, armed with information gleaned from the book, "The Hacker's Handbook," began his snooping.

During 2000-1 from his home in Hornsey, north London, and using a computer with just a limited 56K dial-up modem, he turned his sights on the American government and military.

"My main thing was wanting to find out about UFOs and suppressed technology," he said insisting his intention was not to cause damage. "I wanted to ... find out stuff the government wouldn't tell you about."

He said it was easy, despite being only a rank amateur. Using the hacking name "Solo," he discovered that many U.S. top-security systems were using an insecure Microsoft Windows program and had no password protection at all.

"So I got commercially available off-the-shelf software and used them to scan large military networks ... anything I thought might have possible links to UFO information," he said.

ALIENS?

He said he came across a group called the "Disclosure Project," which had expert testimonies from senior figures who said technology obtained from extra-terrestrials did exist.

One NASA scientist had reported that the Johnson Space Center had a facility where UFOs were airbrushed out of high-resolution satellite images. So, he hacked in.

"I saw what I'm convinced was some kind of satellite or spacecraft but it was manufactured by no means I have ever seen before -- there were no rivets, no seams, it was like one flawless piece of material. And that was above the Earth."

However, his probing came to an end in March 2002, when British police arrested him.

"I was completely obsessed. I was completely addicted. It was like a huge game but I was getting very paranoid," he said.

McKinnon's own story might sound like the plot of a movie, but the charges he faces are deadly serious. He argues he is being made a scapegoat by U.S. authorities to deter other would-be hackers rather than address their own security flaws.

"I'm already being treated as a terrorist," he said. "I appear in an official American army pamphlet ... in a guide to combating terrorism in the 21st century."

The next stage of his legal battle takes place on May 10. But he hints that whatever happens, he has a lot more to tell.

"I can't talk about a lot of stuff that I found. It's just not the right time," he said with a smile.

I find it hard to believe he could do this, and even if he did would they allow him to do an interview? seems a bit fictional to me, either that or he's mentally disturbed. <_<

To be able to do such a crazy thing and hack into the U.S. Government is actually pretty damn scary. Who knows he could have ordered components for nuclear weapons or just weapons in general. This itself could cause a World War 3 or start some kind of consipirarcy. This man must be a super-nerd genius to be able to do such a thing. with the advancment of the internet now, these days it seems like such a task would nearly be impossible.

Well supposedly there was a simple password to get in or something or he found some book to hack into it but if he did there would be millions of hackers. I sort of don't think he could have done this but who knows.

That is simpy unbeleaveable! I can't beleive some one would go hacking into the goverment just for the sake that they want to find aliens of UFO's or something. Thats totaly insane. And that they would even have a book that tells people how to do this kind of thing? Just think of all the mental cases out there that would love to get a hold of something like that. Or a terrorist group. Who know's what could happen! Our govenment is not very tight. It has cracks, cravas's, and and Hole big enough to let someone in. Sinply unbelievable.

i loved that movie war games, i wasnted to be a hacker too after seeing it. the silly thing is the guy should have known that any top-secret data on things like ufos would most likely be stored on computers that aren't connected to an external network like the internet, its kind of hard to "cover-up" things like that if heaps of people are able to access the information

that is weird. What kind of guy hacks into a government file and tries to find aliens or UFO's? This guy is weird, and he should be in jail.This still made me laugh though. lol

It really is kinda unbelievable Scary a little at the same time but I think unbelievable. At least I hope it is. But I have to agree with some others it seems like if it were true there would be many more cases out there of people trying to hack into the government. We have alot of weirdos and sickos out there that could really do some damage with the right information. So I am really hoping and believe that our government is smarter than this and has stuff more protected than is said in the article.

He he! Funny. :P I don't understand how people fall for crop-circles and UFO stories. If those UFO and aliens would have been real then it might be tempting to have conversation in private with them. Now don't say some government have private connections with aliens because of their fastest research. :)Sometime news sites like yahoo, help us have some humor for a while :D