xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
it01y2

Winrar Is So Much Better Then Win Zip WINRAR IS SO MUCH BETTER THEN WIN ZIP

winrar is so much better then win zip because it can load much more filetypes than winzipIWD
ZIP
RAR
ETC...

That is very true, however it seems that Winzip is more popular. Why is that. I think it's because people aren't aware of winrar, and as most compressed files have a *.zip extension, the name "winzip" just seems appropriate. Anyone remember back in 1997, when we had PKZip and PKUnzip?? I wonder whatever became of them?

Yes. I definitely agree with this. Rar is a compression that has outrun its competitors like ACE, LZH and ARJ. I remember back in the old days, when files are still stored on 1.44MB flobby, ACE and ARJ are quite popular. But now, there are not many people still using those formats. RAR is also the de facto standard in the scene too. Most of the warez groups rar their releases before placing them in zip files. I think one of the reasons is that rar generally has a better compression then zip and it is much faster then LZH. RAR comes quite handy on the internet. There is now another promising algorithm getting more and more popular, 7zip. 7zip has even higher compression then RAR. I wonder whether it will replace rar in the long run.

WinRAR is far superior when it comes to dealing with compressed files. I specially like being able to see the contents of the compressed files and folders at any stage. The only problem I have with it is that due to its less popularity or other reasons one like Cpanel cannot accept rar extenion when I tried to extract in the Cpanel. It only accepts dot zip extension. So, still one needs to use Winzip even though WinRar seems to be doing all the jobs except few work like this one. Meaning Winzip is more popular and goes well with most of the programs around. It is a bit like Microsoft windows Operating system and Linux operating system. We want to get rid of Windows but it becomes a necessary evil...

Yeah that topic covers a lot of things. but i should say that winrar is smaller and mor poweful. It supports more file types and has very nice compression templates. It integrates into windows shell and makes a lot of jobs easy. I think the reason that Winzip is more popular that winrar is just advertising and marketing.

Yes, i'm using winrar only because WinZip can't support .rar files, and most of cracks for todays games are in *.rar files.Also, there is a *.tar support, which is needed for those who mess with hosting pachages and there are themes for some portals, forums etc. in this file format.May i sugest TugZIP, which is something like WinRAR, but it's not shareware but freeware. It is quite fast for a compression tool. Free download here http://www.tugzip.com/

i would stressguys that these programs are nearly EXACTLY the same!!!!

i dont see the point in arguing over these two programs as they are so similar.

:)