xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
electriic ink

What Is (your) Bmi - Body Mass Index ? find out all about body mass index (BMI)

What Is BMI (Body Mass Index?)

Body Mass Index or BMI for short is the measure of how much someone weighs in proportion to their height. The formula for working out somebody's BMI is as follows:

Posted Image

Alternatively, you can download a spreadsheet which will do the calculations for you:

>> Open Office Calc Format (.ods) (8KB)

>> Microsoft Excel 97/2000/XP Format (.xls) (7KB)

Using the BMI calculation above you can work out how obese you are:

Less than 18 (<18) Underweight

Between 18 and 25 (18 - 25) Ideal Weight

Between 25 and 30 (25 - 30) Overweight

Over 30 (>30) Obese (Endangering Health)

[hr=shade]However, there is one problem with utilising such a scale. It isn't scientific but pseudo-scientific. It has been used by medical professionals but was ne'er a product of of medical research. Much has been discovered about the human body since 200 years when the first chart was produced.[/hr]

It is now known that human muscle contributes to the mass of the body more than fat does. Moreover, long distance athletes would be classified underweight using such a chart despite that they are regarded as the correct composite for their profession.

my body mass index is 22 =) perfect...i workout n stuff and sometimes eat right so im perfect hehe i have the ideal human body lol....im about 6'0" 165 lbs..

if you work out, it may not be all fat you know? It could be all muscle. But it's good to know anyways. The doctor told me i was 3 pounds overweight. I don't think 3 pounds counts. After working out for 8 months...gained like 10 pounds though. Weee.21.8...i guess not. :-D good weight anyways...

Alright i am 6 foot tall and weigh 135 lbs. Therefore my BMI is 18.3 so i would be considered underweight since anything under 18.5 is underweight technically. However, for me i eat all day long (but right, lots of small meals) and i do a large amount of exercise which is why my BMI is low. Like others have said, this isnt scientific and genetics and the amount of fat your body contains is a better factor to determine your health.

I did a calculationHeight: 5'6Weight: 143 lbsBMI: 21.7I don't know whether this is good, could my light weight be attributed to the fact that I am rather short and I exercise regularly? I am carrying weights regularly as well as keeping up my athletic shape because it is very important in football. However my ideal weight would be 155 lbs

my bmi comes out to be 25.5 ,i really need some work outs now ,this is considered overweight since 25 is the limit for ideal body ,but i also read somewhere that the bmi index ideal range max limit is considered ideal till 27.5 ,but that doesn't leave me from work out's

mine was 25 when i went to my recruiter and they weighed me and measured my height. I would assume that when you go into the recruiting office and whenever they measure you abdomen and tell you to pull up your shirt and they see that you have washboard abs and a rockin chest then i am sure that your body mass index would be measured using a pinch test or I think that would be a pinch test although I am not sure.