xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BooZker

High School Is it even worth going?

Well i'm not going to type a lot, but the answer is NO.Unless you want to waist those years of your life socializing then no. I wanted to get on with my life when i was a sophmore so i dropped out of highschool and got a GED within in months. That is equal to having a high school diploma. So inother words i was in college at the age of 16. Not only did i get into college early because of that, but i was getting my bachelor's degree while my high school buddies were just getting started in college i had a better job with more pay then all of them.So do you guys think that high school is important because i for sure as hell don't.

Good for you. High school, like college, is not for everyone. No one has to follow the path that everyone else takes in life, such as 4 years of high school, college, job/grad school, etc...Bill Gates dropped out of college and now makes more money than every other Harvard grad.But life is not about getting a good job that pays a lot of money. It's about finding what makes you happy, and that usually includes interactions with the rest of the world, because no man is really a deserted island. I think that is why school is so important for people. But if you manage to be happy without school, then that's great.

When i ment money wise i didnt not mean like bill gates rich, i ment that i had a good job before them. I'm getting a degree in music. And it does not pay well ever. As muscians and teachers know.

as a ninth grade highschool student, I can safely say that I do plan on completing highschool before going to college, simply so that I am able to fulfill my college career. I enjoy learning, and I enjoy learning most of the things that will be taught to me in high school, then built upon in college (specifically higher levels of math and certain sciences). I'm fine with waiting for a good job and having to scramble for money while in college, because I enjoy learning at the pace I am taught in highschool, and I'm willing to wait a few years so that I am able to do work at levels that I would not be able to if I did not finish high school.Plus I like all my teachers and some of the teachers I will have (The AP Statistics teacher is sooo cool, and my math teacher is also cool... If my teachers sucked **bottom** I would probably be feeling similar to the way BooZker is/was/w.e)

I'm going to HighSchool next year! I'm so exited. But HighSchool is labeled "Drama to the 10th POWEERRR." So I guess I'll have alot of problems with some jealous girrrls. Haha and I cant wait til I see some kyootee guys (:But we wake up soo early and come home a few hrs later than my school days right now, in half a year im going to be at Von Steuben Metropolian Science Center High School. Long name, eh? =D

as a ninth grade highschool student, I can safely say that I do plan on completing highschool before going to college, simply so that I am able to fulfill my college career. I enjoy learning, and I enjoy learning most of the things that will be taught to me in high school, then built upon in college (specifically higher levels of math and certain sciences). I'm fine with waiting for a good job and having to scramble for money while in college, because I enjoy learning at the pace I am taught in highschool, and I'm willing to wait a few years so that I am able to do work at levels that I would not be able to if I did not finish high school.

I was in 10th grade and dropped out and passed a high school grad test. America's school systems are number 25 in the world. And 20 years ago they were number 1. High school are just not a learning enviroment at all. I mean if you do all your homework you have a B or C average even if you do the homework wrong.

A GED is definitely not the same as a High School diploma, no matter how equivalent it's supposed to be. To pass a GED test, you have to be in the 40th percentile of high school seniors. Some colleges won't accept that alone:

...it is looked down upon by some employers as a lower form of degree than an actual high school diploma.

It's also mostly (all?) multiple choice, unlike high school classes and a lot of final exams.
I'm just curious, but did your parents let you drop out or were you emancipated? Are you aware that you're only making more money than your friends because they're training to be able to get better jobs?

You're also missing a lot of fun high school experiences.

I was in 10th grade and dropped out and passed a high school grad test. America's school systems are number 25 in the world. And 20 years ago they were number 1. High school are just not a learning enviroment at all. I mean if you do all your homework you have a B or C average even if you do the homework wrong.

We took the California high school exit exam earlier this year (again: 9th grade), and I passed easily. It was at 8th grade level.

But passing the exit exam doesn't mean that you have all the education you are able to receive in high school! Getting a GED doesn't mean that you were able to thrive as much as you would be able to get in taking AP/Honors classes in high school with other students. Being able to pass without doing all your work doesn't mean that, if you actually try hard, you won't be getting a good education.

I do agree that the grading system in high school is much more lenient than it should be, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a way to get a good education if you want to get a good education.

It's also mostly (all?) multiple choice, unlike high school classes and a lot of final exams.

I'm just curious, but did your parents let you drop out or were you emancipated? Are you aware that you're only making more money than your friends because they're training to be able to get better jobs?

You're also missing a lot of fun high school experiences.

Your right. Employers look down at GED holders, But when they are 16 and also are almost done with there 2 year degree they all see that as someone who is working hard to get a good career. My parents let me drop out of Highschool as long as i stayed in college and passed the GED tests. The training part is not true. I'm 2 years ahead of all of them in training. Trust me, when i apply for a jobs they all say wow, you got your GED when you were 16. Then they ask why. Then i always say because i wanted to get a head start for my career. They all say great we'll call you and i have never been turned down for a job.

Highschool experiences are not as fun as College ones. <_<

But how can you say that if you missed most of your high school ones?Two years of high school has two homecomings, junior prom, senior prom, senior slump, tons of hours with friends, and I probably forgot a lot.

Why did you just quote the whole thing? This does not give you points for hosting or contribute towards the conversation.

But how can you say that if you missed most of your high school ones?
Two years of high school has two homecomings, junior prom, senior prom, senior slump, tons of hours with friends, and I probably forgot a lot.

Your right. There is some great times, but there is great times at college. No matter where you go (unless you really hate it) There will be some good times. They are just different good times. Remember not everyone goes to all the dances also. Altough I did, not everyone does. And why can't you have hours with friends at your house or the mall or elsewhere.

People connect High school with there entire life from the ages of 14-18 (about) You don't have to just go to high school to hang with your friends. Those 2 years i made less good friends then when i went to grade school and have those friends still. My point is that high school is not the only place for friends. I see it as a place to meet new people. Then get there phone number then call them.
Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

I thought high school was fun. i did think about doing that but never went through with it.. Even so, now that i look back i see its a really good thing that i did not.. even thought i was only in high school for 3 years because i graduted as a Jr, but i stuck it out so that i could get a diploma and not a GED. only beacuse you have to work harder as a GED grad then a diploma one.

you have to work harder as a GED grad then a diploma one.

How is that? How did you graduate as a jr.?

How is that? How did you graduate as a jr.?

In the CA ( i dont know if they have it in to many other places) you can go to your counsiler can talk to them about geting out of High school, but still geting a diploma. that means you will take some JR classes your soph year and then your JR year you will take some of your sen calsses.. it sounds like a lot of work, and it is but it is better that you would do that if you dont want to stay in High School all 4 years. Pluse you get a diploma and not a GED...

I just found this today, and very good point you have here. I want to drop out of high school or at least go to a different high school or friggin move or something. I hate my high school because people take it as a joke and stuff. <_< And since our county has specialty centers on top of AP classes teens think they are higher than the "normal students". And personally I think the State of virgina sucks. (left that purposly lower case 'v' :lol:). Your dead on about how high school is so social and stuff... I have not made that many friends as I want because people are so into those 'clicks' and stuff and since I just moved here its a pain in the *bottom* to meet people and make some friends since everybody is so snoody and to them selves.

But I don't need to learn all that uless stuff to become a web master or something. And I don't really know what I want to do. Something in business technologly or IT. Any suggestions. And for me... I'm stuck in school for the rest of my life... :lol: