xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Farseed

Spanish Version Of American Anthem Negative Backlash for New Patriots

Full Story: Spanish 'Star-Spangled Banner' Draws Ire

In summary, a new spanish version of the song "Star Spangled Banner" is being released and is drawing fire from different segments of the American population.

The entire immigration issue is a large one, and if I write as much as I tend to about this subject I'm afraid that no one would reply. I don't know what it is about large, organized posts that scare people off...

Ya know, our spanish population just want to be accepted, is what it comes down to. They're already here and, in many cases, being more productive than a significant portion of our other vocal minorities. Quietly for years, Latinos have lived in our country, working hard and contributing to our economy in way that many other 'legitimate' citizens cannot or would not. Like it or not, this is truth.

They love this country and the opportunity it provides. Their work ethic is unparalleled and their devotion to family would put to shame all of the 'family values' sycophants we see running for office (both parties). Yes, there are some negative segments of the population as well as there are with any population. I'm not making sweeping generalizations about the people as a whole, but comparitively speaking Latinos do tend to exhibit these characteristics when put against other ethnicities.

They want to have a song in their language to celebrate America, closely modeled after our own anthem. What's the harm in that? Native Americans had their songs and dance celebrating their land before 'we' came. As we brought smallpox and goldlust, we made our own song for country based on a European beer drinking song. How's that for irreverant blasphemy?

I'm sick of the 'entitlement' mentality that Americans demonstrate, that we're somehow better than others because of our birth certificate. At best, we're lucky to have been born here. And we're lucky because our mothers, fathers and grandparents had some values that they were willing to work for. To down spanish speakers for the same values is juvenile and hollow.

Let them sing.

There is nothing wrong with putting a song in another language it is just like putting any other piece of written work into another language and this is no different. Another good reason for translating it is the fact that America has no official language. Even though we use English I read somewhere that we have no official language. If we have no official language how can we keep songs and documents in one language only? Well, unless they make English official they can't.

I do not mind peopel being in America. My ancestors were from another country as well. But we did not impose our cultural beliefs onto the USA. We embraced it, and helped it grow. Having a Spanish version of the Star Spangled Banner is ok if you are goign to sing it somewhere else besides America. We live in a country that rose from oppression. Peopel seem to forget that. America was born because we had a belief in ourselves. Now, America is the melting pot of the world. The first Americans started it all. They had an idea.You don't see us goign into Poland and Americanising their anthem. That Anthem was written for a reason. To display our freedom, our strength and our courage. If you want to be part of this country than you want to be part of that freedom, that strength and that courage. therefore, embrace the American way. If not, leave, go home and display your strength there.

To me, looks stupid to change an anthem into another language or "rythm" and even more stupid to be upset about it. Imagine that everybody writes his own anthem... mexicans, irish, italians, cubans, afromericans from here and there... totally useless. There are better ways to feel part of a country. Anyway anthems suck.