xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
master_bacarra

I Killed A Living Creature... well... almost...

i dunno if this would be as relevant as the rules had said (i obviously read the rules before i posted this one), let's just say that it has something to do with animal rights... and me having the guilt trip of my life... :lol: i'm so bad...early this morning i got a total shocker of my life. i accidentally stepped on one of the stray kittens that were living in our house. it was sleeping on the front porch but i didn't notice that it was there, until i stepped on its head. it felt like a small rubber ball... then my foot slipped only to realize that the "small ball" was the kitten's head and then i realized that i just twisted its neck. it was a horrifying thing to see. it was twitching and gasping for air. ugh... the only thing that i can do was to watch it die slowly. i feel like i'm a very bad person to do such a thing to a poor kitten. even though it was just an accident, it really made me feel terrible.after i have gotten over my panic attack, i was ready to give its proper burial. i was about to carry it to our backyard when i realized that it was still breathing. i was kinda relieved, but still shocked. it lifted its head up as if it just woke up and looked around. probably terrified, it tried to walked away from me. what happened after really made me tear up. it was trying to walk towards our garden, but to no avail... it only ended up dragging its body. i guess when his neck was twisted, the nerves on the lower part of the body got affected. i do admit that i was so affected that i wanted to cry then and there but i gathered myself and just helped the poor kitten on a shady place in the garden. it tried to crawl a bit and rested there for the rest of the day.i watched it all day, hoping that it wouldn't die or something. i was checking to see if it was still breathing. it had to stay put and rest so i just put it in a box and let him sleep there. i was kinda disappointed with the mother because it didn't show any affection to its almost-dying offspring. later that day i was more relieved to see some improvements on the kitten. it can now walk a bit, but it still couldn't stand properly or maintain its balance while walking. i tried to support it because it might fall on a hole but i guess it was still too afraid. i noticed that when i put my hand near, it just stays there and does not move at all.right now it's hiding somewhere no one can touch it, but i guess i just have to trust that it won't die on me. i'll be devastated. but then again, just seeing the kitten suffering makes me more devastated. the cats (including the kittens) are not ours, they're just stray cats. but because of the leftover food that our dog doesn't eat, they found a safe place in our house. yet it wasn't safe, because my parents hated cats. i don't hate cats at all. i don't like them but i don't hate them either. i guess you could just say i have a soft spot when it comes to animals. when the kittens were born, i was excited that i could play with them (for an old guy, yeah, i play with the cats). my parents don't want me to go near them because they fear that i might have asthma attacks, but it was just their fear. i don't have asthma at all... and if that's the case, then we shouldn't have dogs in the house either. so, touch?...so what does this have anything to do with animal rights? i guess its the shelter. my mom always drives these cats away because she thinks they're dirty and hard to deal with. she kicks them or hits them with a stick just to drive them away. i guess i can understand her in a way that our house is not a shelter for stray animals, but the only thing that bothers me is the way they have to drive away these creatures. yeah i admit that they can be annoying sometimes (especially the sound they make at night), but then again it's just the way they are.

Aww thats so sad ;) Dont take the blame I like cats, theyre great, atleast i think so. My mums always said they make my astmah worse but i dont see it. Mums eh? :lol: Still it wasn't your fault so you shouldnt blame yourself. You wasnt to know it was there. And after all the great things youve done for the strays like providing a place they can be safe and get food youre obviously not bad you're a nice person. most people wouldnt look twice at a stray but you do. And you dont even like cats that much but you still dont turn them away. You give them a hand when they need it. :lol: It must have been horrible I guess I probably would've screamed (not something you hear a teenage guy doin is it! screaming!) Hopefully it'll get better, it could be something like a twisted nerve or something in which case it should untwist itself in time and the litle one wil lbe clawing you to bits before ya know it. Either way dont take the blame on yourself its not your fault and on behalf of the cats youve helped I want to say thanx :lol: For being one of the few people who care enough about animals to help.Hope you feel abit better and I hope the kitten gets better soon ;) Fingers crossed

Yup, all of what Shadowx says. Simply points out the problem about responsible pet ownership. If the original owners of the Mom were responsible, these kittens wouldn't be stray in the first place. We all feel for you in the situation you are involved with. Hope the Kitty cat turns out well.

If it could stand up, even if it was shakey, then you didn't paralize it or anything, which is good. And, in which case, he should continue to get better <_< The thing about the young of pretty much any species, as far as I've heard, is that they have the odd ability to repair surprisingly large amounts of damage to their bodies. Since he was still pretty young by the sounds of it, he should be ok :lol:You shouldn't be guilty about it either.. its not like you just left him there or anything. Then you wouldv'e had something to be guilty about. But you watched him and took care of him when he wasn't even technically your responsibility, so guilt is the last thing you should feel..

yeah i guess so. i've thought about it so many times yesterday. i still do feel guilty and responsible about it but it's a relief that it didn't really die. i saw it earlier today and i was amazed that it can walk more properly now, although i'm still worried because it hasn't eaten anything yet since yesterday. i tried giving it milk using my finger (so it can lick it), it licked some then turned away. i guess it was still afraid of people. now what i'm worried about is that people at home might kick it (intentionally or not).but anyways, i'm still relieved to see some improvements on the kitten's movements. at least it would take a bit of the guilt out of me.

its good to hear its walking. I guess that menas theres no serious damage to it. I dont know why it wouldnt eat but you could be right about its nervousness of people. You could try leaving a saucer or bowl of mlk near it and leave it be see what it does. if it still doesnt eat after another day or two you might want to try feeding it using a straw of if you have one a syringe. If you dip the straw in milk then put your finger over the other end you can use it kinda like an eye dropper and feed it that way <_<

its good to hear its walking. I guess that menas theres no serious damage to it. I dont know why it wouldnt eat but you could be right about its nervousness of people. You could try leaving a saucer or bowl of mlk near it and leave it be see what it does. if it still doesnt eat after another day or two you might want to try feeding it using a straw of if you have one a syringe. If you dip the straw in milk then put your finger over the other end you can use it kinda like an eye dropper and feed it that way <_<

Sounds like youve been there Shadow.

mbacarra-dont feel bad, the kitten just learned not to sleep in high traffic area's(2 bad it had to learn the hard way)but it's not your fault, my buddy did that same thing to his Fiances brothers cat and the thing is fine. Cats have 9 lives this one now has 8 and a long time to use them.

Ne wayz i hope the cat gets better....

Peace out

early this morning i got a total shocker of my life. i accidentally stepped on one of the stray kittens that were living in our house. it was sleeping on the front porch but i didn't notice that it was there, until i stepped on its head. it felt like a small rubber ball... then my foot slipped only to realize that the "small ball" was the kitten's head and then i realized that i just twisted its neck. it was a horrifying thing to see. it was twitching and gasping for air. ugh... the only thing that i can do was to watch it die slowly. i feel like i'm a very bad person to do such a thing to a poor kitten. even though it was just an accident, it really made me feel terrible.

don't ebat yourself up bud. i know that whatever is said in response to your post though, you will beat yourself up for a while. please don't try to. in situations like this, there isn't just all negative so i suggest thinking about the positive.

you're an animal lover like i am. i love watching animals run free and i also like to take animals in that nobody cares for. from one animal lover to another, you did nothing wrong becasue your intent was not to kill an animal or hurt and anmial, but to care for them and love them and make sure they are taken care of properly. i'm sure you have other animals now that depend on you and need ya and i'm sure this one incident was a fluke.

you do the right thing even if it goes against your mother. you are just being you and what you do is a GOOD thing.

with that said, i know it had to have killed ya inside. woulda killed me inside too to watch the after effects. you did the best you could and you still are doing the best you can so keep up the good work bud! and don't give up in who you are and what you believe. accidents happen and that is just part of life and the things we do sometimes. our mistakes don't make us bad people. far from it but please don't let this hinder you in taking in other strays because THAT would be the ultimate shame

let time heal the wounds and you'll be fine. the cat will never be forgotten if it passes. also, sometime we have to deal with the horrible for something good to happen. take suicide. a terrible thing to deal with for any family member or friend. but if there wasn't suicides, there would be no support centers or crisis hotlines and prevention centers to offer the help that is needed today. so offer the same thing to this cat and let something good come from it. learn from it so you can try to prevent something like this happening again. so if you want to do more for the cat then do THAT.

there are many individuals out there that sacrifice themselves for the many. animals are no different. i feel kinda werid talking about a cat this way but it's true and cats and all animals have souls just like you and i. will make the cat feel better(even if you don't notice it or it passes away) and will make you feel better knowing you are doing more to look after the animals you take in to take care of

don't change bud, you're doing the right thing and nobody should ever blame you. could have happened to anyone, but it happened to you this time. you seem like a vry cool person with good intentions. we need more people in this world like you with a big heart.

Aww... :'[ Hope it gets better.

When I was little, there was a chick who lost its mother and it was wondering around. A lawn mower almost ran over it but I saved it and took it home. Me being little and a big stupid head, I tried to feed it bread by wetting it and shoving it down its throat.

It choked and died. I was so upset and guilty. Me being little and a big stupid head, I buried it under 2 mm of sand so it probably got uncovered by the wind and eaten by a racoon.

AND, I once tried to recover a bird after it got wounded by my dog's bite. It got bit hard below the wing so it couldn't fly. Me being little and a big stupid head, I left it in a shoe box and forgot to take it in. It died. I was very upset.

I want to go back in time and slap myself.

Edited by ibsu (see edit history)

I'm thoroughly depressed after reading this thread. Don't feel bad mbacarra, it wasn't you fault. You might want to consider calling a vet though.

Please. Thousands of cows, sheep, pigs, chickens are slaughtered every day so you can eat. In your lifetime you have left nothing but a trail of destruction in the animal world. Just because you didn't kill the cow doesn't mean you're not guilty. You ate the burger. Now you're getting upset because you killed a kitten? I think you have it too good.

Please. Thousands of cows, sheep, pigs, chickens are slaughtered every day so you can eat. In your lifetime you have left nothing but a trail of destruction in the animal world. Just because you didn't kill the cow doesn't mean you're not guilty. You ate the burger. Now you're getting upset because you killed a kitten? I think you have it too good.

You wouldn't be upset if you killed a kitten? :)

Don't be upset, mbacarra. You didn't kill it, and on top of it, you kept your eye out for it and tried your best to take care of it and tried to nurse it back to health. Like another post said, however, you might want to take it to a vet, just to see if there's anything else that can be done for the kitten, just to make sure that it heals and gets better correctly.

I wouldnt feel bad about it... Surely it makes you a beter person that you didnt just dismiss it, and let it die, but cared for it.

I mean, its not like you meant to stand on its head... I have a cat, and its not hard to not notice its under your foot!!!