xisto Community
jpx3m

Is Athlon Xp Any Good? title... :D

well guys?

someone told me that Athlon XP overheats easily...

and i've researched on the net that Athlon XP indeed has no overheating protection whatsoever...

to quote from a website i read:

source: http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/pentium4athlonxpthermalmanagement/index.html

"Besides, the Athlon XP has quite a useless thermal diode because the most of latest Socket A mainboards do not support it, although top chip makers and mobo manufacturers had samples of the Palomino based processors yet in March-April last year."

however, i bought this mainboard Matsonic MS8147C Socket A Mainboard and on the manual states that:

It is reccomended that you use AMD Athlon XP or higher level CPU to make sure that the "Thermal Diode" Function will work properly.

will i have the risk of overheating an Athlon XP with just the basic HSF or should i (OPTIONAL/MUST) get a bigger HSF?

and can anyone tell me what Thermal Diode is? :lol:

thanks guys!

Notice from mayank:
Please add QUOTE tag to the copied content

I don't really know, but athlon has a good reputation of making processors that handles more and does not overheat as quickly. So XP probably does not overheats, but I have to say xp is getting old and you should switch to something that will be able to handle the next generation windows.

I have the Athalon 3200+.It's a very good processor, does it overheat? Yes! One time I had to look at the chip to get information for my BIOS and when I reassembled the headsink/fan I put it on upside down. Now some background, my MoBo has a feature where by it will kill the computer if a tempurature is measured at 85 degrees centigrade or higher. The computer was only on for 1 or two seconds before it shut off, needless to say the processor hit 85 degres in only a few seconds. Now, you need a computer that will shut off in the event of high heat, and you need a good fan/heatsink, the stock fan/heatsink didn't quite do a good job. However, if you buy a good (I think the replacement cost $30) fan, and get a computer that will shut off (they tell me most do) then there's nothing wrong with them.I would recomend the processor to anybody.

The old Athlons did have a tendancy to overheat for sure, but I believe they were the old Thunderbirds? That's probably what its referring to - the XP chips are *newer* (everything Socket A is becoming obsolete these days) and probably don't run as hot. The new chips, that is just about all the socket 939 cores out now and the socket 754's are running much much cooler, even cooler than their Intel counterparts. I don't believe that putting your heatsink on upside down counts as overheating moldboy <_<Anyway, my old Socket A CPU used to get rather hot, but never burnt out - instead my motherboard killed itself.

I don't believe that putting your heatsink on upside down counts as overheating moldboy

All I know is when I put it on upsidedown the computer only came on for a second, and when I tried to turn it back on, I had to physicaly unplug, and wait for the internal power to drain, just like I have to when it overheats, from too much processing or something. But you're probably right, they hopefuly fixed any head issues. AMD still runs hotter then a Intel (or so I'm told) but that's alright because they are dessigned to run hotter. It's like compairing apples and oranges, sure oranges have thicker skin, but it's alright, they were built that way!

You really don't need to worry about overheating it if you are not overclocking it, and you have a basic fan cooling system installed. If you are planning on using it for a gaming machine and have a nice graphics card for it, your graphics card should be the one taking most of the heat. Right now I am running on a AMD Athlon 3500+, an overclocked Radeon X800GTO, and 2 gigs of RAM, and the highest temperatures I get reported from various sensors while running F.E.A.R. and highest settings is about 50-60 degrees C. This is all with 1 general fan, 1 GPU fan, and 1 CPU fan. Yea, that is a bit warm, but just don't play it non-stop for 8 hours and you will be fine. I am interested into converting it into liquid cooling so I can overclock my GPU a bit more. Anyways, the whole point of that was to say that running on 3 fans on an extremely stressed beast doesn't have too many problems. If you have liquid cooling though, you shouldn't even have to worry about it.