xisto Community
Joshua

Chase-good Example Of Bad Banking Stay clear of them

Several months ago I started up an account with Chase, aka BankOne. All I wanted was a savings account but I let them talk me into getting both savings and checking since they said it came with overdraft protection which would send money from one account to another if needed. I questioned them on it and read the contract carefully to make sure I wasn't getting tricked. I signed up and they gave me an envelope on account info which I never got around to opening. I ended up writing 3 checks. The first passed. The second didn't have enough money by a few dollars and they charged a $30 overdraft fee. Long story short, I ended up having a $6 negative balance in the checking account and though there was over $60 in the savings they wouldn't transfer any over to cover it and kept charging $5 a day for the checking. Apparently they don't have to tell you that overdraft doesn't cover fees, only original checks for sending money over. And the info wasn't in anything I signed or was told, it was in that rotten envelope I was given, which apparently is legal. Because of that $6 negative amount in the checking (even though I had $60 in the savings and put in another $40 to the savings) it spiraled into a $300 debt that wiped out my savings and put me in debt. Then I had to pay off the debt, plus they refused to close the account for a few days until verifying it was closed, during which they continued to charge me $5 a day and a closing account fee. Because of this, I probably won't even try banking for a while, and when I do, will stick only to savings accounts. In my time trying to submit an article to the Chicago Tribune on it I came across other articles by people angry at Chase as well. My advice to you - Stay As Far Away As Possible From Chase/BankOne As You Can. Also, be leery of anything offering you overdraft protection. It could be simple scam material.

I ended up writing 3 checks. The first passed. The second didn't have enough money by a few dollars and they charged a $30 overdraft fee. Long story short, I ended up having a $6 negative balance in the checking account and though there was over $60 in the savings they wouldn't transfer any over to cover it and kept charging $5 a day for the checking. Apparently they don't have to tell you that overdraft doesn't cover fees, only original checks for sending money over. And the info wasn't in anything I signed or was told, it was in that rotten envelope I was given, which apparently is legal.

i have a chase acount and have no problems with it ever. sounds to me it's YOUR mistake and not theirs. and sounds to me that you need to stop writing bad checks no matter WHAT they told you. don't ever write anything eover what you have in your account so you don't have to blame others for your own mistakes. be responsible and this would not have been an issue

now as a side note, i would have talked to them rational. i've dealt with this situation before with other people and the bank is usually willing to offest half the costs that occured over a misunderstanding in order to keep your business....probably hoping you write more bad checks so they can charge you an extra $200 but i woulda been professional about it and acted stupid and talked to a supervisor to view your whole month transactions and credit you rather than act overly emotional where they would rather not work with you

your post is overly emotional and subjective. again, i have a chase account and been making my payments on time and i have never run in to a problem like this. stop giving businesses a bad name because of your own mistakes

i have a chase acount and have no problems with it ever. sounds to me it's YOUR mistake and not theirs. and sounds to me that you need to stop writing bad checks no matter WHAT they told you. don't ever write anything eover what you have in your account so you don't have to blame others for your own mistakes. be responsible and this would not have been an issue
now as a side note, i would have talked to them rational. i've dealt with this situation before with other people and the bank is usually willing to offest half the costs that occured over a misunderstanding in order to keep your business....probably hoping you write more bad checks so they can charge you an extra $200 but i woulda been professional about it and acted stupid and talked to a supervisor to view your whole month transactions and credit you rather than act overly emotional where they would rather not work with you

your post is overly emotional and subjective. again, i have a chase account and been making my payments on time and i have never run in to a problem like this. stop giving businesses a bad name because of your own mistakes

My "bad check" missed only by a few dollars. I don't think you know me very well though. Just because I write "emotional" in no way means I act it :lol: In fact, I'm one of the most rational, calm and collected people you'll ever meet, a guarantee I feel quite safe in making. :lol: I simply presented the matter and closed my account out, determining never to go there again, simple. Maybe I do have a problem of blaming and I'll look to it, but I'd kindly suggest you examine your own motivations for writing up that post.

Still, if you don't want to listen to me about the bank, that's fine with me. People always tend to learn hard lessons the best when it's personal experience for some reason.

Response to JoshuaChase-good Example Of Bad Banking

You are very judgemental and now it is my turn to judge you. First, learn to spell! Secondly, learn to listen to what others are saying. Lastly, learn to see a different side than your own.

I personally feel that your are an uneducated moron! 

-reply by Brent

That's it.Just stick to a no frills savings account and make as few transactionsas possible. You'd be be better off hiding your money under a rock really.The banks obviously can't be trusted and will jump on your mistakeswith glee.Your mistakes are money to them and end up costing you.They want you to make mistakes.

This is correct, Chase is just terrable. I overdrew by 3 dollars, knowingly when the last banker had set up my savings to be oberdraft protection. What that banker had failed to mention was it only works in $50 incraments. So the 3 dollars I overdrew wasnt covered and I got a $35 overdraft fee. Chase also has a way of keeping you in debt even after you climb out. If you'r accunt gets back into the positives for a day or so don't expect it to stay that way, expect a $25 "extended" overdraft fee in addition to the original fee that will some a few days after your in the positives.And what really kills me is the next banker I talked to said just put $20 in to get back into the positives, I did and the next day, without spending anything, I was back into negatives.Chase's fees are rediculous and their banker either lie or are totally incompitent.Funny thing is, this all started with an overdraft of $3, $3 turned into over $100 in fines when they had told me I had overdraft protection.-reply by K-slice

well, a couple years after i wrote a response about chase, i had a bad experience with them. my account with them has always been credit related(never savings or checking). i have had a chase credit card for about 5 years in good standing until they decided to raise my interest rates. now at first though, it almost looks like the crap they pulled with the over draft fees....and if anyone knows anything about banks, that's how they make their money. but they raised my interest from 7.99% to 23%! first of all, i feel that was totally unethical when i was making my payments ontime. secondly, they were not only charging that high rate on future purchases, but on my remaining balance which i had already spent thinking i was paying 7.99%

when i saw a bill come with the interest rate increase on my old balance, i called them up directly. turns out i had some negative item on my credit report they didn't like even though i was in good standing with them for 5 years. they said this negative report caused the interest rate increase. funny thing was that that negative item was on my account when they approved me for the card in the first place. i tried explaining things to them. usually banks are willing to give leeway and work with ya. chase NEVER gave an opening for any sort of compromise or understanding. i think it was a b.s. excuse they gave to raise interest rates. needless to say, i am a person of principles and after being on the phone with them for an hour, i decided to tell them to cancel my card and told them they aren't seeing another payment from me on a balance that was supposed to be 7.99%....EVER.....and just hung up. well. they are idiots. after being on the phone with them and explaining my intentions, they kept sending me emails wondering why i haven't made a payment. i told them i explained everything on the phone already. i wonder why they didn't have that information. anyway, i spent up the card, never made a payment, they eventually closed my account and i got some toys for my time. i figured....if i'm gonna have bad credit with them anyway, i might as well make my time with them running me around like an idiot worth while.

anyway, screw chase bank. they are an unethical company that tried to scam me out of money. what would have been fair would have been to charge me an increased interest rate on any FUTURE purchases. therefore, i would have the choice to cancel my account at that time knowing i would NEVER pay over 10% interest on ANY credit card or loan. don't do business with chase bank if you can help it. i have had better experiences with other banks. and funny thing is, the smaller the bank, the better. when you are dealing with the bigger franchise banks, you are dealing with strict franchise rules and regulations. smaller banks are actually VERY willing to work with you.

i have a chase acount and have no problems with it ever. sounds to me it's YOUR mistake and not theirs. and sounds to me that you need to stop writing bad checks no matter WHAT

I have nothing really good or bad to say about Chase, and this is just a personal anecdote, but when I tried to apply for a checking account three years ago with them, they seriously refused me on the grounds that I had no credit. Mind you, this was with 1,500 dollars cash in hand... I was led to a desk where one of the bank managers gave me a formal interview(??) and then proceeded with a credit check which he then told me was insufficient to open an account with them... Like what was that?I have never had that sort of issue at any other bank; opening a checking account is just a matter of talking with the teller and little more. I can't imagine why anyone would require "credit" to utilize a simple account that pulls on their money alone, but what do I know? Chase as a business was swallowed up by the competitor banks where I lived at the time, so maybe it just had to do with that particular region.In any case, I can wholly recommend credit unions as I've never had problems with them issuing overdraft fees or even allowing an overdraft to occur in the first place. Unlike Chase and other banks, they sometimes have fines for leaving a low balance (usually underneath 50 or so), but otherwise they give you exceptional treatment and terms of service.

chase to expensive for my budget!Chase-good Example Of Bad Banking

I too am on your side. I too have been greatly dissastified with Chase/Bank one. The lure for me was get 100.00's free opening an acct. With chase. STOP BANKING AT CHASE BANK! ALIAS BANK ONE.

Well that 100.00 has been the most plaqued thing I've ever done! The exhorbant amount of overdraft fees for, just as you said being overdrawn by a coulple bucks! Then when I took the time to personally go in and talk with a banker "they're hands were tied". They can't do a thing about the chase credit card acct. (chase freedon) I have to separtley talk to them.  Interestingly I could open my saving acct and open a credit line for over draft protection right there with them! Ok try and call the chase freedom acct. I dare you! Not surprising "they're hands are tied also".  Chase has no regards to being personable to their customers.  They hid behind their written policies...No different that the Pharises of Jesus day!

I will pay my accts with them and never again bank with them.  Small town banks are the way to go...Customers still matter and their panics and imperfect mistakes are forgiven and people will be loyal to that treatment.  I hope everyone will pull their money out of chase bank!  Then let them see who really keeps their business going.  I say hurt them where it counts!Stop banking at CHASE BANK/BANK ONE,  THE MACHINE MADE OF METAL LACKING ANY HUMAN EMOTION.

-reply by sheila

overdraft feeChase-good Example Of Bad Banking

While on vacation, Chase lowered my  credit limit to less than I had already charged.  I received a letter dated July 15, 2009 (on 7/23) and on July 16th there was an overdraft fee of $39.00 in my account.

No way you can convince me they are in financial trouble...They have access to all kinds of money acting like this.

-reply by Patricia Dillon

warning about chase banks.Chase-good Example Of Bad BankingI to had a similar experience with chase. Me and my wife bank at chase. My wife has been with them for over 15 years, however when coast to coast am, a radio talk show with george noory, they offer a $6.95 a month deal where you can download mp3 formatted shows of paranormal and UFO stuff, well coast to coast was double charging me twice a month, where as it is supposed to be once a month.

so I check with my bank and tell them about this all and that coast to coast is double charging my account. They told me what to do and what would happen, they said they would reverse the charge.

so after they reversed it and I looked and saw it put back, then the very next day coast to coast recharged it and caused another overdraft. The bank is refusing to do anything about it and also I noticed they will rearange the order in wich your charges are posted from when actualy done to accomidate further overdrafts, and they use misleading tactics like using diferent symbols representing status of transactions. Like in the front page of your online acount sheet your available ballance does not show a (-) symbole if your negative or overdrawn like (available balance= -$42.55.) it looks like this (available balance = $42.55) ledger balance= $56.72. Then if you navagate to the transactions page if your overdrawn it shows ($-42.55) so if your in a hurry and want to glance at your online acounts at a glance start page your not shown the (-$42.55.) anyhow they **** and I'm changing banks. Plus if you need things fixed like a pin number due to their system the staff get short with you on the phone.-reply by tammy

Chase "holds" your deposits - even DIRECT depositsChase-good Example Of Bad Banking

Hate to seem like I'm jumping on the bandwagon here, but it sounds like I'm not the only one feeling swindled by this mega-corporate band of thieves. I was laid off from my job 7 months ago, since then I've been collecting unemployment while looking for a new job. I get my paltry $300 unemployment payment each week on Tuesday (it's there midnight on Monday night). Out of that I need to pay my mortgage and utilities, and pay off the remaining balance of my CHASE FREEDOM card, which I pay like clockwork every month and will never use again. Well, about a month ago I started noticing that every week my account was in the negative for ridiculously small amounts, a six dollar charge here, 10 dollars, you get the idea. I don't spend money on anything hardly, except trying to pay my bills and survive until I can get back to a salaried position. And of course for each charge, I get a $35 overdraft fee. So the next week when I get my payment, I'm already over a hundred or this week TWO hundred dollars negative. I also noticed that my deposits weren't showing up until Wednesdays now. I called unemployment and they assured me their system of disbursement had not changed. I called Chase (reluctantly...They are...So pleasant) and was informed that ALL deposits are held for a minimum 24 hours. EVEN A DIRECT DEPOSIT FROM THE STATE EMPLOYMENT OFFICE. This person on the phone told me this wasn't a new procedure, but I can tell you it hadn't been happening previously, so who do I believe? And yes, I have also received additional fees for being negative for over a day or something...Even though I'm already in the negative...They are just adding this fee to my now "debt" in my checking account that my next unemployment deposit has to cover. Barely. It's a vicious cycle. I'm thinking of going to Arvest, but then again I'm also thinking of putting my money in a shoebox in my closet. "Aren't you worried about getting robbed" you ask? Yes. That's why I'm considering the shoebox.

-reply by Kimberly

It's Chase Banks policy to process larger debit transactions before smaller ones. They claim they do this for the consumers benefit but the real reason is because if a larger item does not clear they can only charge you for one over draft fee of $35. So clearing larger items first increases the chances on several smaller items not to clear thus enabling them to charge multiple $35 fees making more profit for themselves. This policy was developed after case studies of how people do banking on the average. Most people have one or two large items each month ie. Car payment, rent, etc. Chase process these first and anything coming in after that will be assessed a fee if there isn't enough money in the account. I was once charged $35 dollars for a $1 transaction. And to the person who commented before me telling that person it was THEIR fault. Sometimes people overdraft their accounts, it doesn't make them stupid, or irresponsible. That fact that YOU claim you've never over drafted means either you're lying, or you've had mommy and daddy taking care of you all your life. 

-reply by Dave

So, I wanted to surrender my car to Chase I lost my job and couldnt afford the payment, they kept putting me off until they repossessed their product, on that same day they sent two tough guys to my house while I was talking to bank manager in Tucson at Grant and Campbell, alarming and intimidating my family:they are Sars Investigations,  case #357981 Kert 5208883199 and Sammuel Henderson 18667980619, who are these people and is it Chase policy to send intimdators to peoples houses?. Do not use direct deposit if you are collecting unemployment, they covered a .49 cent charge and charged me 35$ over draft and they somehow kept me in the red and I have lost almost $1000 up till know , its entrapment and I want every nickel returned, and I want everything explained by a banker not a7$ an hr wantabe. This is  only the beginning I am interested in joining a class action suit and willing to work to bring these money hungry thieves to justice.

-reply by George Ehnat

ResponseChase-good Example Of Bad Banking

This is not true. I too was faced with the exact same issue that haunted Joshua. I am 19 now, and had barely opened my account in late February of 2009. I had asked the accountant if there was any way that I could get over-draft charges/ fees if I had money in my savings, and she CLEARLY stated that if I had enough money in my savings, I would not get charged. This was a blatant lie because I'd ALWAYS call to make sure I had enough money to buy whatever it was I was trying to buy before doing so.

At one point, I had called on a Friday night, from work, and the automated teller said that I had $60 in my checkings and $45 in my savings. I then proceeded to go onto my lunch break, bought a soup for only 95 cents, and then received mail a week later, stating that I was $2 overdrawn from that soup. Clearly, while I was going on about my business (before I received the mail) thinking everything was alright, I went to my mailbox and checked my mail, just to find a $300 overdraft fee! I was surprised that I did not have a severe stroke because I rapidly called the automatic teller and it said that I was $302 overdrawn and that I still had those $45 in my savings. I payed it, tried to fight for my case, but ended up getting brushed off because the real live teller showed me charges for things I had bought 2 weeks PRIOR to me buying my soup. I was outraged. 

It didn't stop there. The same thing happened 3 more times after that, and I decided to pay the tellers a visit, in regards to my insane overdraft fees. Again, they showed me some bull**** charges that were made on my card 2 weeks prior to me finding out that I was over-drawn. 

Now, my questions are why the hell am I getting charged for stuff that should have been covere3d through my savings, and why didn't they text/ e-mail me as they supposedly do in their commercials? I asked if their automated teller was accurate to the times and dates that someone calls, and they gave me a whole defencive arguement as to how "up to date their one of a kind system" is. Like I said, I'm 19, but I'd still like it if big companies who claim that they'd be a huge help to their customers do just that; help. My whole life is revolved around honor and truth; I have no need to lie, plus I'd pay whatever charges I make, when I'm told ON TIME, not half a month later. All I know is that WaMu was awesome, and CHASE is an extreme let-down. There should be no need to screw over your customers if you're truly happy with your company, and if you truly care about your CUSTOMERS.

-Pablo.

-reply by Pablo