xisto Community
Brian Gillingham

Ftp Double-click Caution ...with multiple sites - be careful with the double-clicking

I just want to put out a little caution for everybody.Be very careful when using most FTP transfer programs. If you double-click on any file (either local, or remote) it usually transfers that file across to the other side. Be especially careful if you have set up the default to overwrite.I found this out when I was doing some admin with a PhpNuke site, and I wanted to view its config.php file, but I transferred that file to my local directory (which was a local nuke). At the time, I just thought it was strange that the file didn't view or launch.... but, it simply nested itself in a bad location. Apparently, my local nuke stopped working due to the different values contained within.I changed my setting in Filezilla - setting the action for a file's double-click (since version 2.19):

Yep, Filezilla would do that to you. It's the best free open source ftp program, but it will overwrite your files if you double click on them.Before using any programs, make sure that you play with the settings first before actually using the program. If the program has an export settings feature, use it. It'll come in handy when you reinstall the program again.

Thanks a lot brian for letting the members know about this bad setting.I dont use Filezilla but I use FireFtp plugin of Firefox for the FTP works but I am sure that those who use Filezilla will find it usefull.

To avoid this problem, and also make it work more like the traditional Windows file browser, I have set double click to Open/Edit. This means that if I accidentally double click the wrong file then nothing will actually happen to it.

I also use the FireFTP xtension, but that is still useful information for people using other programs. I know I'll be sure to use that advice if I ever use anything else (FireFTP asks to overwrite, regardless of whether it's being uploaded or downloaded). Another thing to pay close attention to is your current directory (on both the upload and download end). Especially if you're using a program such as Filezilla (at least according to what has been said). I know I've made a lot of mistakes with FTP (like not paying attention to the file I uploaded, which would turn out to be a lower version than the one on the server). It's best to be careful, no matter what you're doing, not just double-clicking.