xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mik

One Red Paper Clip A paper clip traded for a pen traded for ...

Here's the story.

A paper clip traded for a pen shaped like a fish traded for a door knob with the face of E.T. traded for an outdoor bbq stove traded for a portable generator traded for an instant party ... and so on.

You get the picture, but it's important to note, each trade is an upwards trade for something more valuable.

This is what Kyle MacDonald has been spending at least some of his time doing since july 2005. But Kyle isn't just trading for trading's sake, he has a plan, and he is well on his way to realizing it.

His efforts are helped along in no small way by a fabulous website packed with all the stories of his trades, videos and pictures:

http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.de/

After reading his website people want to trade with Kyle.

Kyle MacDonald is currently on his his eleventh trade. He may have started off slow, but I can tell you his most recent trades have been whoppers!

Go to Kyle's website, see what his plan is and how far he has got. Definitely worth a look. :blink:

I've been hearing about this a few times every month. I've also been hearing about it in the news lately. Seems like it's just one of those ideas that have really taken off. When I saw the site when he was just starting I didn't think that he would reach his goal of trading up to a house. However, now with all this publicity it might actually happen.

What is this? This guy traded a red paper clip for a pen, and then traded that pen for something else? It it goes down the line trading until he got something big? He's very lucky to do that, as those who traded with him might be doing a lost in the trade.I've not heard that in local news. Rather it sounded too crappy to be true. :blink:

I read this in the newspaper yesterday, he got a 12 month house leese(bad spelling I know) or something now :S. Although if everyone tried to do this it wouldn't work as people wouldn't tarde expensive things for stuff worth less unless they really needed them. But well done to him for getting up to a house....

It's rather amazing that he has gone this far. I wasn't able to view the whole website, but what I did see of it shows a clear point of "one man's trash is another man's treasure". I think this is a wonderful project for someone to TRY let alone get this accomplished with.

Totally wierd! I can't believe this guy is acually doing this. It's amazing that you can get so much from one red paper clip. I should try trading a rock or something. lol. This guy will have a house in no time at all if he keeps this up. And for free too! And once he has a house, Who's to say he has to stop there? He could trade it for something even bigger! He could take over the WORLD! lol

This is just another one of thoses things I need to add to my 'I wish I'd Thought of That' list. I've recently been hearing alot in the news about this too (ok he was on a breakfest tv show) explaining how this is basically a result of his not wanting to get a job, but hey if works you can't really fault him.

well, NOW it can be told that Kyle MacDonald's attempt has been a HUGE SUCCESS! <_< after 14 items swapped in a span of one year, he FINALLY managed to get A newly-renovated HOUSE (built in the 1920's)!!! and to boot, he also get's a "KEY TO THE TOWN" from the Mayor of the Town of Kipling, Saskatchewan, Canada (who offered, along with the town council, employees and residents of Kipling, the said house.) :ph34r: plus, he'll be honorary mayor for a day, and will get a ONE RED PAPERCLIP DAY in Kipling decreed in his honor.

the latest swap for the house by the way was a film role in Corbin Bernsens movie Donna on Demand. :(

related article: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

and don't forget kyle's one red paperclip blog:
http://oneredpaperclip.blogspot.de/

SWEET! :(

I heard about this oddly enough just yeasterday. It was brought up in my Calculus class is whats even scarier. I'm actually really glad that he reached his goal of getting a house, comes to show you with enough determation you can trade anything for anything really. <_<