xisto Community
rlineker

Largest Triangular Number With Same Digits

How can 666 possibly be a prime number? A prime number is a number divisible only by itself and 1, and 666 is divisible by 6, 3 and 2, and many other numbers. Do you mean that 666 is the largest triangle number with all the digits the same?

How can 666 possibly be a prime number? A prime number is a number divisible only by itself and 1, and 666 is divisible by 6, 3 and 2, and many other numbers. Do you mean that 666 is the largest triangle number with all the digits the same?

haha i had to think twice on that one. i thought i may have forgotten my basic math from 30 years ago....WHEW....anyway, 666 is definately not a prime number. nor is any even # a prime # since they are all automatically divisable by 2 maybe he thought the # 666 was cool to post about and just wanted to increase his credits for webhosting. i am very curious where he got this information from.....

What is the definition of a Triangular Number? It has been a while since I have studied Math, so there must be a definition I am not aware of.

A triangular number is a number that can be arranged into an equilarteral triangle made up of that number of dots. For example, 3 can be made into a triangle, one dot above 2 dots. The next number is 6, a row of three dots below the previous ones. Wikipedia has some useful information.

Right, I'm confused. Why would a triangular number have to be prime? 6 isn't prime, but it's a triangular number, too, with one dot in the first row, two in the second, and three in the third, to form an equilateral triangle.

The largest triangular number with the same number to have yet been discovered is 666.

The First 100 Triangular Numbers

Posted Image

First and foremostly, stop making up facts like "666" being such a thing for the sole sake of being "controversial". Secondly, check your facts. Alot of numbers are wrong there and I believe with today's modern technology and processing power, we'd have a higher triangular number than something in the six-hundred sixties, especially when we're able to genereate many digitted prime numbers as we are capable of doing as of now.

@misere: A triangular number need not be prime. Whoever made such an assertion? <_<@Kioku: I don't think the original poster was trying to claim that the hundered numbers listed here are all that are known to mankind *grin* Er... (s)he's probably trying to say that 666 is the largest triangular number to be composed of the same digits, or something like that. How far that is true, however, I have not been able to check *shrug*On the other hand, I don't think it's difficult to generate triangular numbers (if the definition is anything to go by). Definitely looks less trickier than primes, for instance.

Yeah, everybody is going crazy over the prime bit of triangular numbers, but they're not prime numbers, they're triangular numbers.As for that, very interesting, I learned something new today.I was thinking of where we used triangular numbers in everyday life, and it struck me that fifteen, our good friend, is used in billiards. <_< Good fun, anybody else here like billiards?

I've been reading this topic and I can't understand because I don't know what a triangular number is lol, and that would help alot if I knew. And from what I have heard it sounds the 666 is an unholy number so some joe shmo thought it would be cool to say it was an itwadjzmcative number.

A triangular number is a number that can be arranged into an equilarteral triangle made up of that number of dots. For example, 3 can be made into a triangle, one dot above 2 dots. The next number is 6, a row of three dots below the previous ones. Wikipedia has some useful information.

About the 5th post explains it all. People just need to read the whole thing. I guess Triangular numbers weren't explained in the what is. If you can remember 5th grade and patterns with the triangles made out of dots and they ask you how many dots would be in the next triangle. Well each side of the triangle would have to have the same number of dots.