xisto Community
rldowling03

Using Mobile Phone As A Modem Does any1 do this? And can you help with my problems

Hi all, i currently am using my Sony Ericsson T610 as a modem on my laptop using a data cable on Optus in Australia and i have been doing it for free for about a week now and it's great but it dose have it's up's and downs. Ok using my Sony Ericsson T610 as a modem i can visit most sites but some sites such as awardspace don't work but i found a way to get around it. If you can't access cetain sites i just use a Proxy such as http://www.4everproxy.com/ and it usually fixes that problem, otherwise i can't access it all together. OK another problem i have is that my laptop doesn't work with cookies. I ave changed the settings in internet options so it would let them work but it still doesn't. Any1 know ow to fix this? i think the problem may be that i am connecting to the net through my phone through a Proxy, so that might be it. Also i cannot access download programs and FTP clients, things like that. Probably because of the same reason the cookies aren't working but i'm not sure. Last problem i have is that i can't download any files bigger than 4mb in size. Now this is a problem because the reason i started to use my Sony Ericsson T610 as a modem is because i wanted to download music and games but i can't now but thats ok but does any1 know how this could be fixed? Also any1 who is on optus in australia and wants free GPRS on there phone and free internet on there computer just post here or inbox me. Thanks. Rock on Final Fantasy

wow, i wish we had free GPRS here in Romania...there are better payed alternatives but free is free, even if it is slow. At least for mail and reading on the internet it could be best.

yeah i use my phone as a modem for downloading music, reading emails, going onto prodigits, coming on ere, updating my website and lots of other things. And i don't really care about the speed it's free so who would knock back the cance to get free internet as long as they wan't? Speeds are good compaired to my dialup i've got at home, i get about 8kb/s on my phone wen downloading and on my dialup it's about 6kb/s so it's good.

I've tried before making my mobile phone as a modem. It was when I've subscribed a new broadband service, and that time, I don't have internet service in my house. Hence I had to use the my phone as a modem. It's very slow and very restricted. Like what you've said, many stuffs and services doesn't work well. We can as much use it to surf simple webpages only. Hence I don't think FTP would work with your mobile phone as a modem.Regarding about the filesize that you've said is 4MB, it could be that a limitation which your mobile phone can handle or a restriction from your ISP. I've not heard of any of such restrictions yet. As for the cookie issue, you've actually used a proxy service to surf your webpages. Hence the cookies are actually stored on the proxy servers, not on your computer. Some proxy services allows you to edit the cookie configurations, such as deleting cookies, or editing it's expiry dates etc. Hence configuring cookies on your browser would not work as it's not in effect.Anyway, mobile phone as modems are dead slow. Why continue using it if we've got broadband services? Unless there issn't any broadband services subscribed then we'll use mobile phones as modems. Moreover, it's extremely expensive on that low bandwidth network connection.

the guy actually said it was free so to some extent neither the connection speed nor the limitations are obstacles in using it, perhaps your nerves and if u are willing to pay to get more confort than there are other possibilities, but one laptop in the countryside or the one u take on vacation would really use that one.

Yeah i am going to get broadband hopefully, but i would still use my mobile as a modem because it's andy for when i can't go on my net and i use it to upload files and run my website so it's handy for some things. Also i use it to download music which takes about 10mins a song

the guy actually said it was free so to some extent neither the connection speed nor the limitations are obstacles in using it, perhaps your nerves and if u are willing to pay to get more confort than there are other possibilities, but one laptop in the countryside or the one u take on vacation would really use that one.

If the internet is needed to be used in the countryside, then there issn't a choice but to use the low bandwidth internet with the mobile phone as the modem. Otherwise an alternative would be satellite broadband. However that would be slightly more expensive.

I do it but it's expensive and we used to have free gprs here in South Africa untill that mentally retarded bunch (Vodacom) stopped it :P. Everyone was on a WAP rush in those days.

I hope you didn't register here just to ask that. You are in South Africa right? If you kept your ears open you would have known that Vodacom stopped it a while ago yet some people still clain to have it free. The rumour is that Vodacom made it free to intice people to buy their "VLive!" branded phones. Well they stopped it and made a HUGE profit. I am now anti Vodacom.

Seems cool that you can get free wireless internet. We can't over the ditch in New Zealand, but times are changing, maybe next year I will be able to as well?

I bought a Samsung A900 last August or late July and it's pretty awesome. It has a modem option too. Just plug it into your computer using the USB cable supplied with the phone out of the box and I think it may need a driver however, and it works as a 2ghertz dual band wireless modem. Never tried it but my phone has this ability, I don't think the net would be very fast through it anyway because you plug it in through USB which in itself isn't as fast as something like a network interface card.

Yeah i have done this with GPRS as well. Nextel was the first phone company to start this and i guess its grown but i have never heard anything about it. I did have some problems connecting and trying to get it to work with my Nextel, so hopefully they have done a better job.