xisto Community
itssami

What Is Shared Hosting ?

Could anyone tell that what is difference between shared hosting and dedicated hosting? I know what they mean by dedicated servers but some hosting companies says that theywill give reserve ip address what is that ?
in óther words , when we see whois of our domain , they tell

Reverse IP: 187 other sites hosted on this server

and on other hostings they doesnt say that.and can some one tell that how to get Reserve Ip ?

moving to appropriate section.

There is a huge difference between shared and dedicated hosting. Shared hosting is when the server resources are divided to many users depending on the plan they buy. The user does not decide things like the OS and programs like PHP. Dedicated servers are the opposite. All the server resources are yours for the taking. Most of the time the hosting company allows you to pick the os and programs like PHP. Dedicated hosting is better for huge sites and hosting companies and shared hosting is better for smaller sites.

Shared hosting is when the server is configured to be divided to many users on the one server. But unfortunately the user has little say in deciding the space, operating system and the code used (ie PHP). While this may be good for a small personal site, it definitely doesnt suit the larger sites due to limited bandwith constraints.On the other hand dedicated servers does let you have a say in what resources you need to host. As the earlier posters said, it is suited for larger sites, hosting companies and popular communities (ie forums).

Shared hosting: cheaper and usually free. Quality depends on the server, how many sites are on the server, and how much resources is each site taking up on the server.Dedicated: More expensive (expect anywhere $99 for a low-end dedicated server).

In short, Xisto.com is a shared hosting as all our webhosting accounts are hosted together in a server. However, multiple servers are added to share the workload does not mean it's no longer a shared hosting.If Microsoft owns her own server and host all microsoft related sites on that particular server without hosting any other non-microsoft services, then that is a dedicated hosting. In short, the entire server is built just for Microsoft sites.Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see that the difference between shared hosting and dedicated server has been thoroughly explained to you so far in this topic.However no one mention what's in between them, and that is the VPS hosting.VPS stands for virtual private server. With a VPS you get more control over the hosting, because you get to actually admin the account yourself but the resources are still shared amongst users.Think of it as hosting where you have the same access as you would if it were a dedicated server, but the system resources are close to a shared hosting account.

Okay, I hope my response does not qualify as off-topic, but anyway, here goes:I have a hosting account on a linux server (non-Xisto), which is supposed to be under a shared hosting plan. When I FTP to my site, I am expected to upload all my info to the /var/www/html directly, which isn't unusual; but I can also access a directory called /home/user, where user refers to my account. /home/user has a subdirectory called userhtml, which is a symlink to /var/www/html. Is there anything at all about this that should strike me as wierd? If the resources are shared, then how can I access stuff outside /home/user?This is probably something I should be asking in a tech support forum, but I thought I'd bring it up while we are at discussing shared hosting anyway. Besides, it does not really bother me; I'm just generally curious. If this is way off topic, then please moderate the post accordingly.

I have a hosting account on a linux server (non-Xisto), which is supposed to be under a shared hosting plan. When I FTP to my site, I am expected to upload all my info to the /var/www/html directly, which isn't unusual; but I can also access a directory called /home/user, where user refers to my account. /home/user has a subdirectory called userhtml, which is a symlink to /var/www/html. Is there anything at all about this that should strike me as wierd? If the resources are shared, then how can I access stuff outside /home/user?

I believe you are trying to ask why some of the directory cannot be accessed through a URL like how you normally surf a webpage. Only the host root directory set by the server administrator is able to serve all your webpages on the internet. These directories are usually named as "www" or "public_html", similar to what Xisto.com has on cPanel. You upload all your stuffs into these folders so they can be viewed on the internet. If you've uploaded to another directory which is not the the hosting root directory, you definately will not be able to access them on the internet.

This isn't a matter whether it's a shared hosting or not. It's hosting configuration set by the server administrator.