xisto Community
Deaths Aprentice

Running Knoppix

Welcom to linux world :)I used Knoppix ones as desktop OS and I liked it allot mostly since it has the same construction Debian has, both in package-locations as in the package manager (apt-get). Nowdays I use Gentoo and Freebsd on mydesktop, but I still have a livecd of Knoppix that fuctions as a rescue disk <_<You say things run slow sometimes perhaps if you tell us what it is we are able to let things go faster for instance with the help of prelink packages but this only counts when you run it from harddisk and i hope you do, since using a livecd is allot slower and that cannot be tweaked for asfar I know.

Hi, I use Knoppix on my box at home. I am quite happy with it. I installed in the hard disk and in my case it does not run slowly. However i do not know what do you mean with "the help of prelink packages". Pbrugge, if you can explain it, that would be great. Maybe i could also increase my box speed. :-)Regards,Sergio

The running slow part was only while browsing the internet , and as it later turned out , I exceeded my bandwith , and I was put back to a slower connection (made me pay 5 $ <_<).And yes , explenation would be nice , I'm always in for improvement :).Also , why did you guys choose this program?With me it was actually a coincidence , my friend gave it to me , so I tested it out , and found that it has a way better notepad (lol you think , but I use notepad for PHP and HTML coding , and KWrite has a very good color notation!) :P.After that , I discovered more of its features , and now I cant live without it :P

Aight , thanks , I'll check it when I have some spare time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knoppix can be really usefull, indeed. But I much more prefer some other players. FreeBSD if you're into it, or try Slackware - so far it gave me by far the best speed (and I don't mean the pills). I can't really explain why, but my experience shows me a significant difference. Haven't tried out Gentoo yet, I see that many people praise it, so there must be something to it. By the way, I use an old PIII 550 Katmai, so OS speed does matter. Why don't I buy a new comp? Why? This one does all the work.

Hi!Over the past couple of years, a lot of other Linux distributions have made available their own Linux LiveCDs. The most common now is the Ubuntu installation CD which doubles up as a LiveCD. A while back, the Fedora LiveCD was quite popular owing to the Fedora Core Linux distribution which was almost ubiquitous, at least in this part of the world. You can also get floppy-based Linux distributions for older computers. I remember running Greycat Linux on an old AST 386SX laptop.Regards,Nitin Reddy

i used knoppix before in a computer forensics class i had. it was kind of a lame class, because our teacher had no idea what he really wanted to do. the process he gave us to install knoppix on a USB key (i think every IT person should have a version of linux on a USB key) was so long compared to the one found on pendrivelinux.com (i think thats the site lol). but other than that, for the purposes we were using linux for i think we would have been better off using backtrack. i think there are many other options than knoppix when it comes to a live cd version of linux. it is ultimately up to the user and their opinion on what they really like. but for me...knoppix isn't my thing.