xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Amezis

Problem With My Task Manager (windows)

Well, I recently bought the game Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. My computer is a bit "slow", so I decided to turn off ALL other programs running. Accidently, I turned off msmgs.exe or something like that with the Task Manager, and all menus in my Task Manager are now gone!

I know my system is in Norwegian, and my computer is skinned (it's NOT the skin because I have tried un-uninstalling WindowBlinds, which skins my computer, and it still doesn't work), but look at the image below, and you'll see what the problem is:

Posted Image

Note: Do not tell me to use Linux or Mac because Mac is too slow and buggy for heavy Java-applications, and crashes all the time, and Linux can't run the programs I use.

According to WinTask, msmgs.exe seemed to be a virus.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Follow the suggestions given in the webpage. You will also like to do a full system scan with an antivirus software and an anti-spyware program. It should be done after you've deleted the process and making sure it will not launch again.

Note: Do not tell me to use Linux or Mac because Mac is too slow and buggy for heavy Java-applications, and crashes all the time, and Linux can't run the programs I use.

No worries. This should just require simple troubleshooting. There issn't a need to switch operating system because of a minor issue. Furthermore, switching an operating system is never easy. It's an alien to another.

I had this problem a couple of years ago, all of the tabs and menu bars just disappeared off the top of the Task Manager window. I racked my brain for weeks trying to get them back, and as far as I can remember it was a keyoard shortcut that eventually worked. Try something like Alt + F, and see if that helps. If not try Space Bar or Alt + Space. I'll also ask around a few people and see if anyone else remembers how I fixed this.

Edit: After asking around and a little experimenting myself, I have worked out how to get them back. Double click to the left of the End Task button. Everything should hopefully reappear. It's a toggle option if you have a lot of PCs or something on a network and want to view lots at once. Also, if the task that is running is MSMSGS.exe (note the extra S) then you are OK, that is the MSN Messenger system, and will do no harm.

Edited by rvalkass (see edit history)

i dont think this is a virus at all. I had this problem recently, and it was cuz i pressed a button wrong or double clicked something. I forgot, but then i just un-did it. Try double clicking the border, or else press soem buttons.

THANKS ALOT, rvalkass!!!! Finally, I managed to get the menus back. I probably double-clicked there, because the game lagged the computer and I probably clicked repeatly everywhere on my screen <_< I'm pretty sure that MSMGS.exe, because I have two computers, and it is on both of them, and I am scanning my computer regularly with AVG, Norton and Ad-Aware.

I had this problem with limewire and a few other apps/downloaded files.what i did was download zone alarm and run the spyware scanner and it fixed it right up for me