xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
psychiccyberfreak

Fed Up With Fantastico Say that 5 times fast

Ok, so I use mambo for a school site that I made. I decided to install it with fantastico this time sience it had a good rep. Later on down the road, I come across this cross-upgrade thing while installing a new message board. Seemed like a fair thing to do, exept mambo was bought out by joomla. So I click the button, and it removed ALL of my components AND modules, AND mambots. Sure, thhey are still in the database, but my files are gone. I could restore some files from my custom made version of mambo called 'psych_mambo" (its my private mod) but that would take forever, and fix only a part of it. I could also download the old packages and re-install it, but that wouldn't be fun either. I have a backup, but whenever I try to fix it, it stays the same... I wish I knew what to do...

I totally with you... :lol: . To this date I have had to restore and re-install my IPB 2.0.x 7 11 times this year! :P :

Army System 2.1

Perfect Page Lottery

Perfect Page Raffle

D2-Inactive Member

D2- PM Logs

D2-Shoutbox

IPB Store

Ok I kinda forget the rest, oh yea and 3 skins, but you get the point we both have a heavily modded board and the backtool with the IPB ACP sucks! :lol: It like skips things and is kinda wacky, because there's no way to upload what you backup! :lol: Kinda screwy if you ask me, but I go to the Cpanel and download the SQL backup weekly every monday and friday, incase something happens.

But what is mambo? All I know is like IPB but different? Fill me in on that, but I totally understand your frustration... its so annoying, but what can you really do? I now can install my forums in less than 1 hour will all settings and stuff, and 1 day then the mods are up, and the funny thing is mine is for school too, but the member come back and gripe about the registraton again....

Good luck buddy...;)

mambo is a cms software not even close to IPB.its not wacky you just have to back up the right stuff not only do you need to back up the information through the forums but you need to back up all the mysql info in your cpanel, x panel whatever you use to run the site. thats why it looks wacky.

I am very surprised that you have had trouble with Fantastico. I have used it probably 20 times and it has been nothing but a time saver for me. I have tried out many scripts for my site and I hate having to upload, test, and delete scripts that I do not like. Then for scripts in Fantastico its really easy. All I have to do is fill in a bit of information and click a few links. You must have done something wrong like deleting the fantastico file. If you do that it doesn't know the software is installed.

I've had nothing but good luck with Fantastico. I can 100% say I've installed everything on the Xisto cpanel's fantastico with 0 errors (yes I sat there one day and installed/uninstalled everything.. 1 at a time to check em out). I just wish more hosting companies would use it. Some people might call it "newbie" but I call it easy. Why do it the hard way? heh .. anyway, mambo on the other hand I'm not so fond of =/