xisto Community
dvalkass

Xbox 360 Live - does it only work with wireless router?

I am getting an Xbox 360 for my birthday (27th of April). Soon after this we are hoping to set up a network...I am wondering if Xbox live will work with our router, on the site it says only wireless ones work, and itlists only 10 that definately work. So do only wireless routers work? If not what wired ones work too?

I am getting an Xbox 360 for my birthday (27th of April). Soon after this we are hoping to set up a network...I am wondering if Xbox live will work with our router, on the site it says only wireless ones work, and itlists only 10 that definately work. So do only wireless routers work? If not what wired ones work too?

My XBOX here at home ties in fine with every router I ever hooked it up to. The XBOX does not have a wireless receiver in it so it doesn't matter if the router has wireless or not.
But make sure you get a router and not an old HUB because the hub will only allow you to connect two or more XBOX's together WITHOUT a net connection, and only around your house. (And you will need certain cables to do this. Either crossover or straight thru ethernet cables.)

But you should be fine.

I don't think Xbox Live, or any of the Xbox family, requires a wireless router because there isn't any hardware that uses or connects wirelessly as yet. Hence a wired router should be enough to let you connect to the internet live. In future probably there will be devices for the Xbox that requires the wireless feature from the router but not for now.Anyway, even if you plan to buy a router from any brands, chances are that you will be getting a wireless one because the wired routers are slowly phasing out. Wireless routers can do the same what wired routers can with the added feature of being wireless. Hence you need not worry about the issue.

my brother the 'geek' of the familly says that a wired routr would be better as it's faster, and we aren't connecting the systems very far, the computers next to my xbox, and we then have another computer in the opposite room so.....

well what type of router is it. if it is a lynxsys router make sure you have a type G router. What is that.. im not exactly sure but they have differnt types such as the wireless g routers and also they have wirless B routers.. The G routers are currently the only Lynxsys routers that are compatable with the xbox and xbox 360

well i hav a 360 and i hav had it setup wit a gold membership and a wireless linksys router for the best part of 4 months. there r small problems in which after about 7 hrs of the router bein on either the wireless link just disconnects or (the most likely reason) the router overheats. but i wud sugest linksys just because they only make routers and wireless home networks products so they shud b better.

bro you might just have a defected routher casue my router is on 247 as it should be and ive never had any problems with it overheating.. or dropping off..

It should work fine with almost every router available. It comes with a cable to connect it via wires, but if you want it wirelessly in another room, say, you can get the xbox 360 wireless adapter fairly cheaply that connects in the back and allows you to join almost any wireless network.You can configure encryption settings through the menu when you start it up so it should work with any wireless network too even protected, encrypted ones.It does not matter whether your wireless network is B, G or A, as this only stands for the speed it transmits(all are reasonable speeds, but if you want have the best setup, go for the fastest of course :P!)Wired connection is even faster though.! :PI have it going wired through my own router a random brand one and it works perfectly. just plug it it, itll detect it and it works straightaway!

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

yea i have an xbox 360 and i got a wired router and it works perfectly. But unless you are going to wire the xbox 360 directly to the router you would need a special xbox 360 wirless router which is around $130 Canadian which isn't worth it to me. I just set it up directly to the router and it works perfectly.

Edited by TripleH13 (see edit history)

yea i have an xbox 360 and i got a wired router and it works perfectly. But unless you are going to wire the xbox 360 directly to the router you would need a special xbox 360 wirless router which is around $130 Canadian which isn't worth it to me. I just set it up directly to the router and it works perfectly.

sorry, what do you mean by that? no offence, I just don't understand :P

did you mean for a wireless network, or through a shared computer's internet supply?
Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

wireless receiver for xbox 360?

Xbox 360 Live - does it only work with wireless router?

Do you need to have the one from microsoft or can you ge ay wireless receiver? Would the ones for a laptop work?

-reply by adam