xisto Community
master_bacarra

My Windows Xp Got Deactivated... Help!

i'm still sober from the ending of the semester and me failing some of my subjects, but here i am still being battered with so many problems, especially now that the windows xp home installed in my pc has been deactivated after we have replaced the motherboard. how bad can my life get?the warning of our windows being deactivated started last week when my older brother replaced the motherboard with a new one after the old one got burnt because it couldn't handle being ON for like 12 hours. i was still able to use it for three days and now it has been deactivated. i've read from some sites that certain changes from the pc hardware could change the pc's settings and somehow could affect the operating system. we don't have the product key of this pc because it was second hand when we bought it (and the original owners are probably miles away already--probably migrated or something--after selling to us this computer, since they wanted to clean some stuff from their house). we don't even know if the windows installed here is original. the activation window keeps popping up (since the os has been deactivated already) and tells that our product key is unauthorized. this probably gives me the hint that the os that was installed in the pc is a crack or an installation that has been used in many different pc's other than this one. when i tried accessing the net for the error, it said that i have to contact the customer representative in order for me to get my new product key. but the problem arises here. the fact that i'm 85% sure that this installation of windows xp home has been used many times, makes me worried that if i call the customer service representative, they would find out that it's not a valid copy and that they would ask me to buy a new authorized version of windows (like what my dad was telling me before), not to mention having to make a long distance call to singapore (the closest, because i'm in the philippines). how do they know that a windows installation is authorized or something? i mean, if the only problem of my computer was hardware change, why do they have to give us a new authorized version, given that we only need to re-activate our copy of the windows?i seriously need your help here. my older brother (the one who changed the motherboard) is being ignorant and doesn't want to help me with this problem just because he has a new laptop already (well, sort of... it's second hand as well). i would appreciate you replying to this message, but you could also send your reply as a private message (although i don't think some of you would want that). but anyway, please help me... i'm starting to think maybe my course wasn't really meant for me...

I'm sorry to hear about you failing some of your school subjects and such problematic operating system. You would have to spend more time on your school work and organse a better time table. Have confidence in yourself and you can do it better the next semester.Regarding about your computer problems, it seems like you do not know the architecture of how Windows XP was built. In order for Microsoft to prevent pirated use of Windows XP, every genuine copies of Windows XP shipped with a new computer is made to connect to Microsoft's website and send every of your hardware details, including unque serial numbers, during the Windows XP installation. By doing this, the Windows XP operating system is tied onto your computer in which only your computer can get to use that operating system using that specific serial key code. Installing your copy of Windows XP on another computer will be void and continuously prompt to enter a valid and geniune Windows XP serial number, like what is happening to you now. This is because on another computer which the same copy of Windows XP installed, does not have the same hardware as your computer has. Hence, this is how they tie each Windows XP to each computer uniquely.The problem comes when the owner decides to change or upgrade hardware parts. As hardware specification changes, Microsoft detects it as using the Windows XP operating system on another computer which is not genuine and unique. Hence, you are prompted all the messages asking you to register a unique version of the operating system. You were also prompted to make a call to the Microsoft service center to verify if your operating system is a legitimate copy.In fact, you are using a geniune copy of Windows XP as you only got all these prompts after reinstalling a new motherboard. I would suggest you to call the number Microsoft provides to verify this issue and demand for a new serial key. You need not worry because you are using a geniune version. Just tell them you've change the motherboard and the reasons for changing it. It will only be fair when Microsoft provide you another serial key without having you to pay an extra cost or purchase a new copy of Windows XP. If that is possible, take down the serial key and keep it in a safe place because this key will be your valid current key as the key stated on your Windows XP booklet or CD will become invalid.

As you own a valid copy of Windows XP, there should be no reasons to stop you using it. As Inspiron has said, Microsoft uses a system that identifies your hardware, with each piece of hardware scoring a certain number of points. When you change a piece of hardware, you lose the points it had before. You are allowed to lose a certain amount of points, so you can do limited upgrades, but a major change such as the motherboard or hard drive loses a large number of points.Phoning Microsoft may help, and they might provide you with a new serial key over the phone, or send you one in the post. However, sometimes people have been required to send photographic evidence, just like you have to with insurance claims. Keep any packaging you have for the new motherboard and also make sure you keep the original serial key and certificate of authenticity. If you have that then it is very difficult for them to find a reason to deny you a new key.

In fact, you are using a geniune copy of Windows XP as you only got all these prompts after reinstalling a new motherboard.

oh.. ok. unfortunately, because i can't find the original copy of our xp, it feels as if our copy is not legit. if i'm not mistaken, we got a new hard disk and my older brother took it to a computer shop, to have it attached and setup on our cpu. i don't know if the hard disk already has xp on it (which i doubt, since it's new). hmm... i guess that would make our xp not legit, right?

I would suggest you to call the number Microsoft provides to verify this issue and demand for a new serial key. You need not worry because you are using a geniune version. Just tell them you've change the motherboard and the reasons for changing it. It will only be fair when Microsoft provide you another serial key without having you to pay an extra cost or purchase a new copy of Windows XP. If that is possible, take down the serial key and keep it in a safe place because this key will be your valid current key as the key stated on your Windows XP booklet or CD will become invalid.

well, i guess i have to make a long distance. too bad there's no customer service here in manila so i don't have to bother adding up something on our phone bill. bleh.

just as the same. thanks for the advice. i just hope i could fix this soon. i've had too many problems with this computer in just one month.

oh.. ok. unfortunately, because i can't find the original copy of our xp, it feels as if our copy is not legit. if i'm not mistaken, we got a new hard disk and my older brother took it to a computer shop, to have it attached and setup on our cpu. i don't know if the hard disk already has xp on it (which i doubt, since it's new). hmm... i guess that would make our xp not legit, right?

If that is the case, then you are really unfortunate. Without the geniune copy of Windows XP that you are using now, you cannot prove to Microsoft that you are using it. I've not called Microsoft once before. If you do, probably they will only require the genuine serial key code of the Windows XP operating system you were using before reinstalling the motherboard, as a form of evidence or prove.

Did you meant that your harddisk was brought to the computer shop for exchange or repair? The Windows XP operating system was installed on the new harddisk when it was returned to you? If that is the case, you should check if the copy of Windows XP installed on your harddisk is the same as the copy you had it on the orginal Windows XP disc. Since you said you've lost the disc, the only way to check it out is to ask your brother since he was the one who handle the computer problems then. He should have full details of what happened to the computer when he was troubleshooting it or exchanging or upgrading its parts.

Currently you have 3 alternatives: Call Microsoft for another geniune serial key, purchase another geniune Windows XP, continue using the current version and accepts all these prompting and problems. Of course there is one more way out, that is to use Linux which you will probably not use.

Yeah, that would me my advice, use linux, there are now many linux oses that do 99%of what windows does and if u learn a few things u should d0 perhaps 100%. Try ubuntu or suse and do some reading on the internet, i'm sure 2 weeks of reading will cost less than a new windows xp :lol: I'm also a convert from windows(aren't we all?) and didn't boot into xp for months, only that the freedom of choice and money brings some learning to do...wich eventually makes u smarter and u'll be glad that u really can drive your computer and don't get enslaved by the os (pretty harsh word but after u read the microsoft licence u realize that u pay money to not be able to use the software as u should- and u've just seen the results).Hope now for a better world without microsoft or with a frendlier microsoft. Anyway guess that won't happen.Cheers.

Windons XP sp3 is being denied to be updated on my computerMy Windows Xp Got Deactivated... Help!

Please help me, I am frustrated that my computer keeps telling me I need to install the new updates on my computer. However, Windows XP service pack 3 keeps downloading the programme without any problem, then backs up the system. However, the final step of the installiation is been denied. I have no clue why it is not working. I have an old computer and I have downed registry booster fix, which removed all of the errors from my computer, Windows xp sp3 was the next step to increase the speed of my computer, reducing the error messages etc but I am stuck and clueless of why it's being denied or what I should do next. Please help!

-question by Miles