xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lairz

Hard Drive Array help

Hi guys, well im building my dreamed pc, i need a lot of resources cause i want to get full into the 3d.And one of the things i need is to build and array of hardrives, but i have a bunch of questions about it1- How do you do that ? lol 2- How many hard drives can i put in the array? is it determined by the motherboard?3- How fast do you recommend the hard drives must be?4- THeres a relation between the number of hard drives and the amount of ram i need?5- In order to run well what else do i need?Apreciate your help.

1- How do you do that ?

It all depends how many ports your motherboard accepts, in IDE or SATA connecting to your hard drives. Take note that the CD-ROM drives, including CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives, will share the total number of IDE inputs that the motherboard will accept. If it's a SATA hard disk, it will be dedicated, one SATA drive to one SATA port on the motherboard. Likewise for both, connect the hard drives to motherboard with its respective cable types. Be sure to set correctly for one master drive and the rest as slaves on their jumpers. Take note of their power required as you may need an additional power supply if your devices use more power than your default power suply unit can provide.

2- How many hard drives can i put in the array? is it determined by the motherboard?

Yes. See above. It also depends if your computer case accepts the number of hard drives. Usually it's two. However it still depends if additional slots are provided in your computer case. It's only logical that each slot fits one hard disk. There isn't any where else you can place any extra hard disk safely.

3- How fast do you recommend the hard drives must be?

At least a 7200rpm type because it's the basic specification you can find in hard disks. If you have the money, 10 000rpm will be best for a high end computer system.

4- THeres a relation between the number of hard drives and the amount of ram i need?

There are slight relation involved between hard drives and the amount of RAM you have in your computer. However still it depends on what applications you are running that is using more than 1 hard disk simultaneously. The RAM provides sufficient memory so that lesser data will be written into the page file on the hard disks to lessen the time taken to process your data. More RAM means more efficiency.

5- In order to run well what else do i need?

Since you are looking into a high end 3D computer system, I recommend dual-core processors and GPU (Graphic Processing Unit). Having a water cooling system installed will be best to keep your computer running at high speeds with lower temperature. Give your system a benchmark test to satisfy yourself if you desire.

5- In order to run well what else do i need?

Since you are looking into a high end 3D computer system, I recommend dual-core processors and GPU (Graphic Processing Unit). Having a water cooling system installed will be best to keep your computer running at high speeds with lower temperature. Give your system a benchmark test to satisfy yourself if you desire.

It pains me to say it, but Intel CPUs tend to be better for rendering than AMD ones. If you're interested in doing a lot of 3D modeling you need a fast CPU and a fair amount of fast ram (1gb of ddr 400 would be fine). A fast GPU (video card) is nice, but it doesn't usually affect the rendering time as much as the CPU and ram.

All that being said, I do a lot of 3D work on an Athlon XP 2600+ with 512 mb of ram, so you can get by fine with a less than top of the line machine.

Well right now i have a P4 3 GHZ with 1GB ram, but i dont remember if it was ddr or ddr2 (how can i know), and a ati radeon x600 256mb, its not so bad configuration for now, but if i want to get into more complex works in 3ds max i definitly need more resources.Hey windandwater do you have a website, where i can see your work, that would be nice, like talking to people with the same interest. lol