xisto Community
FLaKes

Make People Dl Flash Player 8

Does anybody know any code I could put on the actionscript or in the html that will make the visitor to a webpage download flash player 8 in case he doesnt have it? All I have found so far is this 1000 line javascript code, but I wouldnt want to use that, anybody know another way around it? Thanks.

I believe the following sites will help you.. I'm not too sure about Flash but the first 2 sites using an ActionScript to force download a file in flash. The 3rd site should be regarding to detect the Flash version and install if the required version does not exist on the client computer. Likewise, some programming will be involve in Flash.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Windows always asks if you wanne download flash player 8 right? and Im sure he will ask his visitors first I mean, that's important. actually I wouldn't want to surf on a website not knowing that there's something being downloaded on my pc. I mean it will be asked if you agree with the download?

Sorry, I didnt mean force, what I meant was that the user was told he needs the flash version 8 in case he has a previous version. Because I have had problems with this in some computers where they have flash player 7 and the page just looks awfull because it doesnt have flash 8, and they dont even know why, and flash doesnt automatically update its player anymore.... I kind of remember that it used to do that? Oh well, thanks for the links, right now I am checking them, I was already considering forgetting about the new filters and just export in flash 7, but now it depends. Thanks again.

it's more easy that you are thinking, you don't have to put any code line to do this, when you have your work done, ready to publish, save your work where you are working, click on the canvas, blank space and in the property panel will appear a series of buttons, there is one taht says publish settings.now a dialog opens where you configure the settings of the movie you are going to publish, check the flash box and the html box, go to the html tag, in the very first dropdown list you will find the settings for the flash template, don't touch it if you don't know what you are doing, below this dropdown list you will find a checkbox that says "detect flash version", check it and then below two text boxes will be enabled for you to select the version of the flash player needed to display your content, select the version and thet's all, you are done! just click on publish, and flash will compile your fla into swf with flash player detection in the folder where you saved your fla.i hope it was what you where looking, and be useful to you.

|Because I have had problems with this in some computers where they have flash player 7 and the page just looks awfull because it doesnt have flash 8, and they dont even know why, and flash doesnt automatically update its player anymore.... I kind of remember that it used to do that? |Flash 8 has some speacial effects, that requires Flash Player 8. These include text, and the new flash 8 filters. In flash, go to File > Publish Settings, and click the HTML tab. Make sure the Detect Flash Version checkbox is checked. This will check the version of flash the user has, if it is version 8, it will go on to your site, but if they don't have 8 it will show a HTML page telling them to download flash.I hope this helps you,-AaronEDIT: I just realized what epox had posted. Myy post will explain what will happen.Sorry,Aaron

Edited by Adobemedia (see edit history)

Name:zeeEmail:Sometimes even if the user clicks the link to download version 9 your site will still not work because the old player is still installed. The user will have to reboot the computer or they can see your website by uninstalling flash player in control panel in windows and then go to adobe's website to install the new version.