xisto Community
Zythrix

I'm Going To Kill My Computer Before It Kills Me. Its just one thing after another...

So, I had an issue a while back with my computer. The power supply had died. The computer sat dormant for about a month before it was fixed. So, last night, after putting the power supply in, I boot up the computer and everything is dandy. Then the processor fan decides to start making noise. Usually I can just kind of push gently on one part of it and the noise will go away. But no, not this time. The noise got, easily, 20 times louder. So I shut my box down and pulled the fan and heat sink. I fiddled with the fan for a bit.. took a sticker off.. adjusted a clip.. put it all back together and it was fine. So I boot the box back up.. and it just hangs at boot up after the memory test. I try various things (re-seating the ram, all PCI devices, removing any unnecessary devices, etc etc. It just wouldn't work. So I shut it off and went to bed. I wake up today.. boot up the computer.. all is well! It boots up to Windows and I attempt to login. But after I move the mouse for about 3 inches I get a b.s.o.d "Hardware Error. Call vendor for support" .So, I reboot again and it boots fine again.. no blue screens or anything.. except one problem. The mouse isn't working at all. So, I swap it between a couple different USB ports and such and reboot a couple times.. and then it works. Now my current problem is random lock-ups and sometimes my mouse cursor will freeze but the mouse still works. Meaning you can move around and click stuff but the cursor doesn't move and you can't see where you're clicking until you click.Like I say, it's just been one thing after another lol. I don't do anything wrong when I'm putting them together. I don't treat it badly when it's running. It doesn't have viruses or adware or anything like that. I just have the absolute worse luck with computers heh.

For your case, I would get rid of that computer and keep the following parts:

monitor

keyboard (if its good)

mouse (if its good)

Get XP Media Center

Buy a Dell E510. Those are the best I have ever used.

Thats all :angry:

Now thats easier said than done, but dude your #%^&. Well thats not the case but, you have a lot of "work" to do. Good luck. :angry: Edited by MaineFishing45 (see edit history)

Have you tried a diferent mouse? Your mouse is a Logitech? I?ve heard some cases that Logitech mouses were creating some b.s.o.d. errors. Please note that b.s.o.d. only occurs because faulty drivers or faulty hardware, in most times is an IRQ conflit, unistall all your mouse drivers and install again and then post here your results.Stay well.

Have you tried another operating system? like linux or something or XP?

-I'm using Windows XP with SP2.

For your chase, I would get rid of that computer and keep the following parts:
* monitor
* keyboard (if its good)
* mouse (if its good)
* Get XP Media Center
* Buy a Dell E510. Those are the best I have ever used.

I don't buy pre-built computers.. they aren't worth the money to me. Inside my computer I have a 300 watt Antec power supply, an ECS motherboard (PT800CE), Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz proc., 512MB PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram, Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128MB DDR Vid card, 160 GB Western Digital Caviar 7200 RPM HD, 80 GB Seagate 5400 RPM HD, a generic DVD+RW and a cheap keyboard and mouse. Now.. out of all of those pieces of hardware, you seriously want me to throw it all away and keep the mouse, keyboard and monitor? And trade for a Dell? Are you high? And I already have Windows XP Professional w/ SP2 .. I wouldn't use Media Center.

Have you tried a diferent mouse? Your mouse is a Logitech? I´ve heard some cases that Logitech mouses were creating some b.s.o.d. errors. Please note that b.s.o.d. only occurs because faulty drivers or faulty hardware, in most times is an IRQ conflit, unistall all your mouse drivers and install again and then post here your results.

I haven't tried a different mouse yet, I only have the 1 and it's just a cheap Dell optical mouse. I've checked the IRQs.. no conflicts.. I will find a different mouse and get new drivers and let you know how it goes, thanks.

A few options :-Buy console,or
-Rehab your computer (not advicesible : pay more then a new one would cost)
-Pray to god more often biggrin.gif
-And last - srry i dunno anything logical else

haha.. I'm not looking to replace my whole system (motherboard and processor I wouldn't mind replacing).. and I don't think the computer gods are listening to me anymore =(.

Computers are annoying machines aren't they? If you want to talk about hardware and software problems caused by nothing you have done I have tons. My first problem happened a few years ago when I got a top of the line 1 gigahertz processer, 1 gigahertz ram computer. The computer was fine for about a year. After that year of awsome computing my computer kept getting hardware errors. I did a bit of tweeking and I just had to go through a few prompts and my computer was working. After that it just stopped booting up. I fried my processor running the computer at its intended settings. It turns out my case did not have good circulation since little was known about overheating at that time except on the processor. I put in a bunch of new stuff and the processor fried in three months. I eventually got a new computer a couple thousand dollars later. Thats my story some computers are just garbage and need to get destoryed.

Heh, Zythrix: been there, know exactly what you're talking about.Once I wanted to generate a RSA key for encrypting and digitally signing my messages (just for fun), and my PGP program had to generate two really big random primes, and it asked me to move my mouse around so that it would have enough entropy to do that (not entirely sure how this works), and I'm happily doing this mini circus with my mouse, and before I know it, my computer dies on me. Luckily a reboot restored everything, but I have lost my taste for digital signatures :angry:On another occasion, I formatted the wrong drive while partitioning the disk to install a linux, and I lost all my poetry, my stories, and I had no backups (was not connected to the internet then). Now people who have read my poetry will argue that this is a good thing, but I was feeling close to devastated back then... I could kick myself, I was so angry.Then there are times when the computer does things on its own, no fault of mine. Once, I wake up to find I can't login as root. I use a live CD and find that the password file is completely messed up... beat that. I had to do a md5 on a string and insert that in the pwd file and reboot... don't ask!So, good luck, comrade, and I hope your computer is nicer to you in future :angry: Can't live with them, but definitely can't do without them. All said and done, I love my box!!!

Yes, for all the hassle this machine gives me I love it. I'm probably going to order a new motherboard and a larger power supply this weekend or next. Hopefully it helps =)

I've had my share of bad problems, too. They're not as bad as the ones that have been described, though. I've lost a few important files somehow, I had a heck of a time figuring out what these beeps meant (and why the computer wasn't starting right) when I inserted a new drive. I've also had some that are more serious than those, but I can't remember them. I sorta like having computer trouble sometimes though (it gives me more of a challenge). Anyway, I hope that can help you fix the problems you are having.

Yes, my computer has helped me better understand hardware problems. I've updated every driver.. all the motherboard drivers.. every device driver I could find.. updated bios.. EVERYTHING. Hopefully things look up.

you mention you are running xp, have you tried booting the pc using a linux live cd and see if you have problems with that, if you get similar errors you are probably looking at a hardware issue, otherwise it may just be that windows sucks

Unfortunately, I know nothing about Linux. I'm sure I have some hardware issues, but things have been running smoooooooth since I updated the drivers for EVERYTHING. Hopefully things are good now. This is how I've been wanting my computer to run for quite some time.

Edited by Zythrix (see edit history)

One thing you could try(last thing you want to try) is to completly re-install windows using the disk. Of course you will lose every single thing you have on the computer unless you get a back up hard drive. Then again, Maybe its trying to tell you to get a new one? *looks up at sky and rubs chin thoughfully* Just my opinion though.

Well, just before my power supply died, I had JUST reinstalled Windows.. and I have an 80GB HD and a DVD+RW for backups.