xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mechablitz

Pop Goes The Gmail Can someone help me?

Well I want to use thunderbird with gmail so I have to download a program to make gmail pop3. My friend told me to download PGTGM so I did. But now when I install it it says: "The port you were attemping to use is in use. Please select a new port for the POP3 server." Can you help me? I know this is a stupid question but what's a port? And after that problem is solved when I make a new account on thunderbird what do I put for the incoming and outgoing servers?Thanks-BlitzEdit: Nevermind i got the port problem solved <_<

Cause :

It could cause by other "web to pop3 mail" programs or by your antivirus software.

By default these programs listen on POP3 port (110) and SMTP port (25)

so if you want to use another program with these ports the error will appear!

Solution :

You should change the ports to something else (not listening ports) in both mail client and server program (e.g your PGTGM) and that depends on the server program ! to change the ports (some of them don't have this feature)

Hope this help.

P.S.you can use 26 for SMTP and 111 for POP3 port for example!

Okay but do i use the ports i put in on PGTGM for the incoming a outgoing blanks in thunderbird?-blitz

yes, usually incomming/outgoing mail server is 127.0.0.1 or localhost (should be set in mail client app like thunderbird

and the ports are what you set in the server program (can be set in advanced settings of mail client app).