xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
keysmaker

Study: Tumor Risk From Cell Phones A real issue, or just myths

Researchers at the Swedish National Institute for Working Life issued a report this week disputing two earlier studies that claimed cell phone use has no correlation to increased brain tumor risk. The Swedish study found that long-term mobile phone exposure could raise the chance of developing cancer.In January, a four-year study performed by the London-based Institute of Cancer Research and three British universities found that talking on a cell phone had no effect on tumor rates. That research included 966 people with glioma brain tumors and 1,716 healthy respondents. Individuals were questioned on first use, lifetime years of use, cumulative hours of use, and number of calls they made.However, the new Swedish study is the biggest yet to cover long-term mobile phone usage, including 2,200 cancer patients and an equal number of healthy individuals. It found that a tenth of those with a malignant brain tumor were also heavy phone users -- logging 2,000 hours or more of total talk time. The number correlates to about 10 years of phone activity."Of these 905 cases, 85 were so-called high users of mobile phones, that is they began early to use mobile and/or wireless telephones and used them a lot," the study's authors said.The study also reported a higher risk of a tumor on the side of the head where the phone is held. Overall, the report suggested a 240 percent increased risk of a malignant tumor on this part of the head. Other factors, such as smoking habits and working history were taken into consideration as well.The Swedish researchers did have one recommendation for people looking to cut down on any potential cancer risk from cell phones: use a headset.Obviously, if the final report say that cell phones are a real threat for human health, electronic industry must be aware of it, otherwise, a real problem can become from that.I really apreciate if anyone can post more information about this, because this concern everyone who use cell phones.

Even i had read it in the newspaper, but i believe that cellphones do pose a risk. Anything which exposes you to radio waves does harm you in the long term, cell phones even decrease sperm count. Your best bet is to use many wave stopping thing available in the market. And when you are not outside, dont keep the phone in your pocket , keep it away from your body. Whenever possible, use a landline.

I have read countless studies to determine if cellphones cause cancer but the conclusions have varied. Some of the studies say that cell phones have absolutely no relation to cancer while others thers say cell phones are hazardous to health. There really has been no agreement on this topic.

i just use the earphone/headset thing they give you when you buy a phone. that means your head isnt directly receiving radio waves. :-D Anyways, don't sweat it guuys..there are a billion radio waves flying around in the air that are already making us 200% stupider than we would normally be.

Actually from what I have read in the past it was the older cell phones that posed the risk. I believe but don't quote me on this that older cell phones were using microwave technology or something like that. Anyway the newer cell phones are less of a risk. The truth be told if technology does not get you then some other crazy thing will. You never know these days what will kill you. According to so many studies there is a ton of differant things that can hurt you. Including pollutants. I guarentee that no matter how careful you think you are being there is something that you live with that will cause cancer or caise you harm.

wow.. first the sperm count... that made us men suffered already.. and now brain tumor. .lol.. maybe they will make cellphone illegal.. It's like murdering everyone around you.. loli wonder if it would be possible to invent a cellphone that great a force field around your body so that harmful radio waves can't get pass.. AHAHAH.. If that ever happans.. it would waste alot of batteries.. lol

I remember doing an experiment in our physics lesson one that involved testing the radioactivity of different radioactive isotopes with a giga counter. Well after we finished a few of use stayed behind (nerdy I know) and played with the giga counter a bit. We tried different things and didn't get much of a reponse. Then we put a mobile phone next to it, that was on standby and it affected the giga counter readings quite a lot. After that we got someone to call the phone and the giga counter went crazy. We had some stupidly high reading after just a few seconds of it ringing. It was a lot more than what we got with the isotopes. So I'm not surprised if mobile phones give your tumours and cancers etc because they do emit a lot of radiation which is just seeping into our heads as we talk.And using hands free kits isn't any better, especially if the phone is in our pocket because then we're just roasting our crotch.And have you ever noticed how if you talk on a mobile phone for a long time your head startsto feel a bit warm after a while? Well that's that radiation at work slowly cooking you from the inside.

I agree with a couple of the posts above, that this topic is one which keeps re-appearing every where and is one of the major concerns nowadays. There still hasn't been an exact answer.In my opinion, the risk of cancer must be larger if you use a mobile phone, due to the radio waves passing around the atmosphere to reach the person you are in contact with.However, If we were worried about everything that sends out radioactive rays, such as microwaves etc, we would never use anything.The best thing to do, is to use these with caution, bearing in mind that the radiation can damage your body.For example, we should only use a mobile phone when necessary and for as short as necessary. If we all do this, the problem with the radiation shouldn't be as severe.

I dont have a cellphone, and I really havent cared about it, its not like people cant reach me, Im always on the messenger or somewhere where they can reach me. There is no excuse for them not being able to reach me or contact me in anyway, and when there is no way for them to contact me, (in example in the movie theater, or out) it IS because I am already somewhere and I wouldnt care about them wanting to contact me, But society and specially my work are pushing/forcing me to need one, so Im probably going to get one. At least I will be a bit healthier than the people I know who have been using cellphones about 5 years before me. I had always been aware about these waves being harmfull especially in the cellphones back then, I do recall them being dangerous, and I definetely think they still are, all though less intense. C'mon, I mean, they stopped calling laptops, laptops, because people had the idea that they could use them on their laps, then they started having cancer and had to call them notebooks, I dont think that having a radio transmitting device next to your head could be that good, could it?

I remember doing an experiment in our physics lesson one that involved testing the radioactivity of different radioactive isotopes with a giga counter. Well after we finished a few of use stayed behind (nerdy I know) and played with the giga counter a bit. We tried different things and didn't get much of a reponse. Then we put a mobile phone next to it, that was on standby and it affected the giga counter readings quite a lot. After that we got someone to call the phone and the giga counter went crazy. We had some stupidly high reading after just a few seconds of it ringing. It was a lot more than what we got with the isotopes. So I'm not surprised if mobile phones give your tumours and cancers etc because they do emit a lot of radiation which is just seeping into our heads as we talk.And using hands free kits isn't any better, especially if the phone is in our pocket because then we're just roasting our crotch.

Yeah i already saw that in a Science Website.

And have you ever noticed how if you talk on a mobile phone for a long time your head startsto feel a bit warm after a while? Well that's that radiation at work slowly cooking you from the inside.

Cooking? lol, thats a nice way of explainig how the radiowaves affects your brain. By the way, do the next experiment, put a cell phone near to speakers or a monitor (best results with monitor :angry:) and call to your cell phone, a very nice interference will happen, obiously a electronic device will make interference, but cell phones makes more interference than another gadgets.

Researchers at the Swedish National Institute for Working Life issued a report this week disputing two earlier studies that claimed cell phone use has no correlation to increased brain tumor risk. The Swedish study found that long-term mobile phone exposure could raise the chance of developing cancer.

This could seriously be dangerous, especially since a lot of people use cell phones in generalize. It might just be the paranoid side of me, but isn't Nokia based in Finland and near Sweden? Anywho, the good news in this study if it is credible is that short term exposure isn't any threat, whilst long term usage does pose as a problem. I suppose I'll have to inform my peers ( the ones I like anyway :angry: ) to avoid using cell phones so much. Although if cell phones have this threat, I'm unsure if wireless phones in general would pose the same endeavor if they use a familiar method of sending out signals through the air. I'd most certainly hope not, since I don't like getting cancer. Then again, who does?

I have heard alot about this in the last while about how the cell phones can be very dangerous for you. I heard it is even worse for kids. Nut i dont thing these studies will stop people from using a cell phone.

ok that is not so bad, the last thing i want is a tumor just on the right in my head... i think it is not so bad as many people think unless of course you use the cellphone lots of hours a day...hehe a cell junkie...

Replying to keysmakerEverytime I talk on a cell phone on my left side which is the side I always talk on because it's most comfortable I get slight pains in my ear. And when I sleep on my left side I tend to wake up alot through the night with sharp, needle like pains in my ears. I'm starting to think that this might be a result from talking on my cellular device. But maybe I'm just paranoid.-reply by Cole Majors