xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Joe2Chance

Internet Vulnerabilities

Ok, I was doing some research on the net on various flaws and vulnerabilities that hackers use to warm our computers, and i've made a list of some interesting points (some of them i've never heard) and decided to post here:

As i said, i've made a big research and to each vulnerabilitie i�ve included links to additional information useful for correcting or preventing the security flaws.Top Vulnerabilities in Windows Systems

1. Windows Services

MSDTC and COM+ Service

Print Spooler Service

Plug and Play Service , see this too

Server Message Block Service, see this too

Exchange SMTP Service

Message Queuing Service

License Logging Service

WINS Service

NNTP Service

NetDDE Service

Task Scheduler

2. Internet Explorer

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer

JView Profile Remote Code Execution

Windows Shell Remote Code Execution

3. Windows Libraries

Windows Graphics Rendering Engine Remote Code Execution

Microsoft DirectShow Remote Code Execution

Microsoft Color Management Module Remote Code Execution

HTML Help Remote Code Execution, see this, and this too

Web View Remote Code Execution

Windows Shell Remote Command Execution , this, this, and this too

Windows Hyperlink Object Library Remote Code Execution

PNG Image Processing Remote Code Execution

Cursor and Icon Processing Remote Code Execution

Windows Compressed Folder Remote Code Execution

JPEG Processing Remote Code Execution

4. Microsoft Office and Outlook Express

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express

Microsoft OLE and COM Remote Code Execution

Microsoft Office XP Remote Code Execution

5. Anti-virus Software

AhnLab , see this too

Avast! , see this too

AVIRA

BitDefender

ClamAV

Computer Associates

HAURI

F-Secure

Kaspersky , see this, and this too

Mcafee, see this too

Sophos

Symantec

Trend Micro

ZoneAlarm

6. PHP-based Applications

See this

Also this

And this

7. File Sharing Applications

NapShare 1.2

eMule 0.42d

PeerCast 0.1211

8. DNS Software

See this

And this

9. Media Players

RealPlayer and Helix Player, see this, and this

iTunes, and this

Winamp, and this

Quicktime, this, and this

Windows Media Player, and this

And for now is all, hope this become useful to anyone!

There are so many vulnerabilities that is impossible to name them all, when i was doing my research at a point i just had to stop because there are so many that i almost got crazy!!!  :)

I think that it would be interesting to place posts here of "things" that already have happened you or of the possible flaws that you guys have knowledge of some programs that all we use daily, so that us can prevent future attacks.

Stay well.

Notice from jlhaslip:
List such as these should be contained inside some bbcode tags.

Preferably the [ list ] tags, but it was too much work for a list this size, so next time, please research the use of bbcode lists. Thanks.

jlhaslip, i've changed the post to the tag form, please confirm it�s ok now, if don't i'll post it the way you left it!

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

I guess you don't run a Mac?

No i don't!!! Why do you ask? :P

List such as these should be contained inside some bbcode tags. Preferably the [ list ] tags, but it was too much work for a list this size, so next time, please research the use of bbcode lists. Thanks.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what are "bbcode lists"? :)
Edited by Joe2Chance (see edit history)

Go to the top of every page where the Shoutbox is displayed and click on the link titled 'bbcodes' then scroll down a couple of pages.

Wow, thats quite a list you have there.You may have included it already, but have you got the one in which hackers could hack a computer through Images?Macs are a way better operating system. I don't want to start a whole debate, but thats how it is. There is almost no vulnerabilities that I can think of off of the top of my head.Anyway, great list, thanks for itCanada Eh895

Notice from jlhaslip:
Signing off your posts with a name or other salutation is frowned upon and may have you receiving a warning (or a ban if you continue to use them once warned verbally) and this is your verbal warning. Signatures are to be placed in your Signature Block through the modifying the Profile for each user. Please look in the Tutorial section if you are not certain how to modify the Signature Block of your Profile. Thanks.

security-wise I dotn think ive ever had a problem with these such programs, only viruses are my only source for problems with my computer.

Of course, these only affect people who use Windows (which I do), and base their browsing on Internet Explorer and NetScape browsers (which I don't).Luckily (with exception of Media Players), all of the things from list 4 to list 7 are optional for your computer. So you only need to worry about these if you actually have them - and I for one do not have any of them. That is not to say that not having AntiVirus is reccomended however - in fact, you should get a Virus scanner as soon as you can! I refer to virus scanners being "optional" in the way that you have free will choosing which one to use.For lists 1 - 3, patches and fixes are available. However older versions of windows may not have these because they are no longer updated. My advice is: be careful when on the net, and don't do anything stupid.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)