xisto Community
tt3

Remote Control Finder

My idea is simply to have a button on the side of a TV which makes your remote control beep when pressed. It's a simple way to find it and I can't believe it hasn't been done!

You know I have been thinking of things like that for the longest time, but my problem was would happen if you lost the remote finding remote? But a button on the side of the TV, that's a great idea. But be forwarned, some closed minded people are going to say (or think) "well if I have to walk all the way to my tv why not just change the channel?"Um, Hello, interactive program guides, advanced features, pluss you'd have to get up every time you wanted to change the channel, (my what A lazy society we've become)

well the funny thing is, there is a such thing....it is an external thing, but i am sure it can be built into the remote, but a few years back i was always loosing the remote controll and so my parents went to walmart and got somthing that was designed for it, and what you do is basicly velcro this small thing to the back of the remote controll...not velcro but somthing stronger, and then you have somthing that you can put wherever you wanted, and for us we taped it to the wal above the couch and whenever i couldn't find the remote controll i hit the button and hold on to it and it would beep beep beep, lol anyways, there is a such product out there!

My idea is simply to have a button on the side of a TV which makes your remote control beep when pressed. It's a simple way to find it and I can't believe it hasn't been done!

while your up pushing the the button on the t.v. to find the remote control so you can change the channel, can you please press button 4? conan obrian is on and he's cool.

good luck finding that remote too...

"well if I have to walk all the way to my tv why not just change the channel?"

Yeah I agree with this, how still we need to find back the remote control. We cannot let it go missing still. This type of idea actually is very simple, but it was not implemented. Actually this feature will be very useful. It could be used for air-cons also. But definately not for cars. :)

I think the next step for remote controls is to get a "universal remote" that would work your tv, dvd player, sky channels etc. At the moment I've got 4 remotes lying around!I like that idea though, its very simple. Trouble is theres so many thing that beep in your home already :)

I have a universal remote from Sony, dont like it very much, the fact is ever since it has come into the house, there is so much of fighting.I have the Universal remote, and my bro the original remote (you can think of what happens next)

Edited by ankitunlimited (see edit history)

The funny thing is that on my VCR there is a little tiny switch that you can turn on and when the remote remains inactive after a long long time (say, if you lost the remote) then it will beep. Also when reading the top post, well the very first one then i remembered something i saw on the Ellen show or something. There was a kids invention section of the show and this little boy had built something that looked like a doorbell button to the TV and there was a box (receiver) on the remote. So when you pressed the button you could hear where the remote is.

hahaha <_< omg! that is an AWESOME idea! why hasn't anyone come up wit h that before?? I wou probably need one anyway... -.-'

Remote Control FinderRemote Control Finder

you know there is a cheap but bulky way to take care of this. Just use a wireless doorbell and attach it to your remote. It's not the most practical but it still accomplishes the task.

-reply by Bill

I like your imagination. This reminds me of Obesity in our modern day lives.Please can't people have some organization, especially with a TV remote.I recommend to most people to buy a Logitech Universal Remote, this makes it easier and user-friendly for everyone. As for a beeper thats an idea but will only bea homebrew invention. It will never be a commercial reality. Sorry :)

Put it on a leashRemote Control FinderOut of frustration looking for the remote control constantly, I had a pet leash and some duct tape. I duct taped the leash to the back of the remote and tied it to underside of the couch. Fed the leash through the couch and I never have to look for the remote again. It can move all over the couch. I just have to go where it is tied and reel it in. The remote is presently off of her leash, because I had to change the batteries and lost the roll of duct tape...Lol. Now I need to put the duct tape on a leash...Lol. Everyone who sees this, loves the idea and has done it in their own home. The remote can move around, just keep her tied to her leash.-reply by ambord

Hmm... a remote control finder...What about a T.V. finder? Incase you lose that too? :PI guess people have not done this to T.V's yet for some reason. The companies are probably thinking, "If my customer loses his or hers remote then they would be forced to buy another one! mwahahaha", or something on the lines of that.A remote control finder isnt a bad idea, but it could be a waste of resources... you'd be paying for a remote control finder that's built in, instead of simply putting away the remote in a designated spot on a table or something.So, Couch Potatoes, Beware!

Instead of doing that for my remote, I gave up on even using my TV nowadays. I got so frustrated losing my remote all the time, I just went out and bought a HTPC in order to circumvent that. I installed a TV Tuner and hooked it up to the TV (Its basically a huge monitor since I never really turn it off, PC is basically always running. then I put the boxee app on my Ipod Touch and now I just turn on the HTPC with the ipod touch and the monitor is always on and I can just navigate using the keyboard next to me or my touch, either or works now. I mean its also another solution for those of us who want to organize our media collection and have moved away from the TV age and moved to the digital streaming age.