xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
grnjd

Prom Is Coming Up

Well I've never danced before in my life and I don't want my prom date to think I'm a loser for chickening out...So how do you dance? Seriously I've never danced before. Are there like different types of dances, or are they all the same. What type of dances do you do at prom? I figure that I still have enough time to learn how to dance since prom is still like 20 days away. I got now idea where to start, so I'm asking it on an internet forum lol.

Dude, learn the electric slide and basic ballroom dancing ASAP!!!! There is nothing worse than a guy who can't dance...I'm sure if you asked any random girl she could show you.

Ok, listen. This is what you do. Listen to these steps.#1: go with teh FLOW! Listen to the beat.#2: Move your body, be lose dont be stiff like a twig.#3: ALways make sure your having fun, if you arent somehting is wrong.

i suffer the same fate as you do. Twenty something days till prom or one more month. Dont' know anything about dancing. lol. i'm such a loser.i don't know even know if i want to go.hope you succeed.

Come on dudge... get your MOJO BACK! :). Ok here read some of this http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/dancing-monster.htm thats part of nothing related but.. might give you some ideas. Forget everything people tell you.

I can't dance either so no difference, we had ours in December, so just act like your self... goof off sometimes, and be loose and

Go with the Flow

Thats really all you have to do.

Quick question. What kind of dance do they do on the prom dance floor? Is it similar to the ones that they do in clubs and stuff like mtv (usher)? Or is it like this formal ballroom dancing? Anyone know?

It might start out with 'traditional' dancing, but what it will end up as is anybody's guess. In my day, the first couple of songs were for the waltzes and whatnot, then it went in to Rock and Roll. (yes, I am that old) These days, by the end of the night it could be anything that is currently a fad, so I don't know what to tell you. I went to a couple of Proms and generally had a blast at each of them. Hang loose, you will be nervous, but try your best not to show it. Enjoy, don't drink and drive... be safe, don't drink at all...

Dance with the beat and just HAVE FUN.At my prom there was all kinds of music being played (a lot of it I didn't like) but as long as you have fun who cares?Definitely go with the flow, haha.I think I'm an all right dancer and I remember I did dance with a couple of guys who obviously did not dance AT ALL but they just kept with the beat and were confident so it was fun.You'll be fine! Don't let it worry you and don't chicken out and sit through the whole thing.

At my prom, it started with the traditional waltz, and slow stuff, but ended up with a good mix of all kinds of music (i dont mind most music). Generally, there is also a song from the "pop" lists that may be generally used as the "graduation song" of that year. I graduated in 2001 and at my prom there was a good mix of music played (there were some I dont like), but overall did enjoy the night.To be honest, i'm not the sort of guy that would just go out there and dance, but again every now and again I dont mind getting out there and loosen myself, just having fun. So again all I can suggest is that you just go with the flow, loose yourself, stay with the beat and most of all just have fun. :)

Edited by arnz (see edit history)

Didn't you learn to dance at school? Where I live it is mandatory to learn dance if you take phystical education class (which is mandatory for the first 11 grades of school). By graduation most people can dance somewhat well.I doubt you will be able to learn to dance from the internet. If you are really concerned about learning how to dance ask your friends to teach you or even your parents if they know how.

In India we dont have proms, just a farewell. We hire a DJ, convert the basketball floor to a dance floor and lose ourselves. I used to be shy of dancing too. But some encouragement from friends ,i tried to dance and now i never miss an oppurtunity.to dance, you must forget about everything else, move your body to the beat and make sure not to step on someone else.as far as ballroom dancing goes, even i cant do it (too shy !!!).