xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rusty

Computer Breakdown I need help too

To all you computer experts out there:I have a windows 98 packard computer and my c: disk is full(well nearly) and just when i want to format it, now it cuts out every time I log in, as in the computer appears to be on yet the screen is not getting any signal from itso can anyone help me?

it cuts out just after I log in, so i can't defragment the drive, all i can think of is installing windows on my other drive and wiping the one that is giving problems

you really want to format it? are you sure? really, really sure? just asking coz formatting will erase ALL your disk's contents, and it may be too late to reverse theoutcome if you want to retreive any important files after formatting.if what you really want is to format your disk, you can format in DOS mode, withoutneeding to log-in in windows. (besides, windows will not allow you to format a diskif it is running and using sectors in that disk. windows formatting will work for partitions,and floppies, and CDRs/DVDRs.)

well thats not a problem you dont need to log in if you want to reformat. You know you will lose all data, meaning everything! Anyways get the windows 98 boot disk. Then just run that at start-up of computer (you should know how to do this if not tell me) then you will get a command prompt. From there type in help and find how to reformat your harddrive. It is usually just C:/reformat but go your c:/ and then type help and it will show you all the commands. Any Questions feel free to post here or pm me back, its very simple i just might of made it look hard.

:):D Try bootong the machine into windows safe mode or dos prompt mode by pressing F8 when your machine has passed the bios screen. then choose the boot option and see if you can start your machine. but it sound like you might have another problem. because i have started many machines which had almost no space left 8mb and the only problem was that the machine was very slow and kept on giving a warning low disk space. let me know if i can help with anything else. :D