xisto Community
saint

Why Do We Cry?

why do we cry? that is something to be thought about. some people cry because they are overly joyed about something. for example my cousin, who is not a cryer, was moved to tears as his first child was born into the world. he thought he would never have kids and then that magical day arrived. some people cry because they are sad for losing something/someone very dear to them. when some get overly angry and cant control the mood within themselves tears just come flowing out. some people cry of sympathy for others. i am not sure why we cry over these things. for me, which ever reason is making me cry, it is ultimately helping me relieve the tension that has been built up by any such situation. or as in with being so happy, it is just a way of letting go of some of that emotion that just cant stay confined no matter how hard i try. experiences in life and love are other reasons society allows us to cry. women have been allowed to cry more than men traditionally, but the benefits of crying seem to suggest that men need to cry more. crying to me also can represent our body?s attempt to cleanse our soul, so to speak. when we cry, we release and express the strong emotion we're feeling at that time. women do it 64 times a year, men just 17. actors and politicians do it on demand. the most interesting other part of the question I think is why tearing? i assume that the child is referring to tearing and not the sound of crying. some random thoughts: plus that tears provide an additional signal in requesting help in infants/children--a conspicuous facial signal--and one thing to tell our insightful youngster is that tearing is also associated with positive as well as negative feelings, and that this might be related to what the fellow above was talking about in terms of a relationship between help and tearing. conclusion: - we need both laughter and tears to help us function in society. crying relieves stress, reduces hormone and chemical levels in the body, and helps us return to a calm state. laughter relieves stress, stimulates healing, exercises certain parts of the body, and helps in human bonding. that is why crying and laughing is beneficial to us both emotionally and physically.these are my thoughtscheerz!saint

Also, crying cleans your eyes out. People who cry und up having better eyesight. Is that a fact? No, probably not because my mother has bad eyesight and she crys all the time. But then again, my friend has terrible eyesight and I don't think she has ever cried before... But who knows. Also, it seems that you left one statistic out of your earlier post. Teenagers. Teenage females are always crying it seems. Way more than 64 times a year. Males are next to none. Who knows though what purpose they really have though... We just do. That's all I have to say.

Teenage females are always crying it seems. Way more than 64 times a year.

Heh, I was going to say.. I think I cry more than that. Lots of little things make me cry (happy and sad).. but at the same time, it normally doesn't take much at all to stop the crying and cheer me up. Who knows.. guess I'm pretty moody. XD;
This thread isn't really very... vent-ish, though, is it? o.o

crying has puzzled our modern scociety as much as our ancesters were awed by it, and it is a unique phenominon experienced only by humans ,no other study have been able to prove that other species cry.We used to cry when we are happy ,frightened, angry,in pain or when depressed but what is more amazing is we cry when we are overjoyed too ,therefore it occurs in all emotions and has been proven medically for contributing to the psychological well-being of an individual from birth to death .Crying helps in the development of infants that acts as a tool for communication and now it is proven medically that unborn babies cry too.There are several theories that tries to explain the reasons behind crying.One theory put crying into three levels that differ in psychological magnitude.The first level is caused by physiological conditions such as a broken leg.This type of crying is the same as the infants crying but continues throughout an indivduals life.Level two involves moods and emotions, it begins with the baby starting to cry in anger and develops as more feelings are added to the emotional scale.Maturation and increase in self awareness results in a sense of pride,so a teen may not cry because of a broken finger but may cry over humiliation,Level three involves a much deeper emotion and usually is associated with something that has very strong effect on the individual,for example omeone may cry by hearing a song that reminds him of some thing that has happened to him or to someone he loves.But the real reasons behind crying will still continue to puzzle us .

I'm actually surprised that men cry 17 times a year. I've never seen a guy cry. I don't really understand why we cry. It's such a weird thing to do. I can imagine aliens on Mars looking at us cry and just think "why..?!" lol

Im a guy and i cry pretty much everytime im drunk....i guess the right description of crying is really just a overload of emotions :)...hence why alchol makes your emotions over-sensitive lol :P

I always wondered why people cried when they were happy because I had mostly seen people cry when they were sad or mad. Then one day I thought something would never happen. I cried about it because it mean I would never get money for college. Then one day, that thing that I thought wouldn't happen did happen. I was so happy I cried for a minute or so.If you're wondering, I was crying because the only way to make money where I am now is to get a script to work and get members. (I can't get a job!) The script didn't work anywhere except here.

Sixty four times a year my **bottom**! I cry at least twice every week, so that statement is complete bullcrap. Well, I guess you could say that I cry so much because I'm a teenage girl, but is it really true that teenage guys cry more than girls do? Because if that's true, than I will be absolutely genuinley SHOCKED.

Its a neat question, and a big one that could inspire meaningful conversation were it not for fear of all those things people seize upon when posed a question.. there are so many people at my school that would seize the moment for grandiose posing in their wisdom as they share "the answer" with you as an overarching truth that everyone else's explanations get at. Then your own answer might partly adhere to it and they would relate your subordinate, inferior answer back to their and what they said. The other half of the coin seems to me, the modest simple answer from someone trying to stay casual and make clear that they are better than trying to go for the depth of the question, andin sincere moments, this cutting short, cutting yourself off looks extremely fake and sad and irrelevant, suggesting that such simply put forth questions are beyond people... which is kind of impossible, obviously the question is about more than tear ducts, and so to avoid or glide past the question would suggest something pretty shallow I think.All that aside, the characters we build up as we answer this- its not sadness only or happiness only (even extreme moments of fury can push people to it) but something that is pushed forth by any condition at an extreme end- spirit seems a good word- where crying is one among many different outputs.I immedeatly jump to this because I have experienced it myself... wreckless hatred fused with sadness but also feeling pure in the being raged or being truly sad. The 'pure' edge coming from rightly eyeing a wrong thing as wrong and putting yourself back in a position of innocense.I think the crying thing leads either there, or to physiology and tear ducts and at each turn leaves crying itelf in the dust.. its sad... i will cry now

but is it really true that teenage guys cry more than girls do? Because if that's true, than I will be absolutely genuinley SHOCKED.

In the case of my little sister's boyfriend, it is true. That young man is so sensitive that anytime my sister starts to say anything that sound serious his "eyes start to water"

Crying does clean out your eyes, but why is it that you can be sad and cry all day long but as soon as you get an eyelash in your eye you cannot produce a tear even if you think of the worst things possible?

I generally don't cry when I become really sad. I just go into a daze and stay that way for a while, usually while alone.I do however, cry when I get extremely angry. I do enjoy letting it all out, such a great stress releiver. When I get overly happy, my eyes water enough to let a single tear (maybe two) slide down my cheek.Crying is really mysterious. The fact that it can be used in so many different emotional contexts makes it downright amazing. That bit about unborn babies crying, that's cool, I never knew that.