xisto Community
sm00nie

What Linux Distro Do You Use ?

I've just recently tried linux and I must say I"m really impressed with the new KDE and Gnome environments, as well as the shere number of OSS available. I'm really excited about devling deeper into this more stable and efficient OS; This coming from a windows user since it's dawn.I've started with Gentoo 2006.0 to get my feet wet, and I'm planning to grab the new Fedora Core 5 when I get a chance (as well as more cd's/dvd's) - it was recommended to me.Anyways, what linux flavor do you prefer and why ?

i've used a cd-boot version of linux called knoppix.... It is a nice cd-boot version of linux. Comes in handy for using on school computers or just a different os then windows.I am going to be getting fedora soon, I've heard that it is very good. My friend uses it and likes it a lot. I would probably recommend it, but its whatever you like the most.

I've heard a lot of things about Knoppix, both good and bad. Do you have any networking or anything, cause' everytime I try to use Linux, I can't get my networking running... I use Fedora usually, its nice, comes with lots of games :-).

I use slackware. it's very versatile while being not newb unfriendly. I don't like redhat/fedora. their updating and whatnot always screws up.

Im using Slackware, yes some of you might say that im mazohist... but im not, i realy like to do things the most simple way there is but. Slackware is not realy user frieandly type of distro, he isint friendly at all, but he is much better then many other linux distro in many ways. If you learn Red Hat or SuSe... you learned red hat or suse, but if you learn how to use Slackware, your mastered the linux :)

If you have trouble finding the right distro for you... maybe Live linux distro chooser will help ya.

Linux Distribution Chooser

Linux Distribution Chooser 2

Linux Distribution Chooser 3

If you run the linux for the first time, i suggest you to use some live cd linux distros like Knoppix he is the most popular, but you have others on

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

you can find some basic mini linux's, that you can put on your USB drive and run em that way, some of them are like 30-40mb :P

If you tryed live cd but you wont more, then i suggest you to start with SuSe the newest version you can find, or with Ubuntu. You can order ubuntu for free, they even pay your post on https://blog.canonical.com/2011/04/05/shipit-comes-to-an-end/

I ordered and it came to me like 1monts after but i live in Serbia :D

Im not big fan of Ubuntu becouse its not so complex and it uses Gnome gui, but his "brother" Kubuntu uses KDE grafical envoriament.

I use often Knoppix from (live-CD / DVD), but i'm still searching a distribution for installation on my hard drive. Since they work with older hardware as well I'll try it with an older Comp. For making a firewall/router I've used IPCOP (small and works fine).With knoppix I'm using the KDESo I'm seaching for a distribution were I can select the KDE desktop.Maybe I'll try Kubuntu.

installing Ubuntu next Monday, if all goes well - theres some crap with the wirless that messes up all the time. A little noob like me can't set up an ndiswrapper, so I'm getting a friend to take a peek at it. "Thats what friends are for..." :rolleyes:I though Ubuntu worked with KDE? Kubuntu, which is a subsection of Ubuntu, does, so I would expect Ubuntu itself to use KDE...Oh well, I'll find out next Monday :lol:

I love SuSE10.1. It is extremely easy to network and to add a printer, I got a samba server running in around 15 minutes with no previous experience. I used to use Mandrake and Debian, but they didn't have what I was looking for. :rolleyes:

Right now, I have Mandrake Linux running in my system. Tried Redhat but, didnt like it that much. Prefered Mandrake. Will be installing ubuntu, kubuntu and PCLinux too. Doesnt mean I am going to remove my Mandrake. It will still be but I will add the new ones and have multi-boot options during system start-up.I am using Acronis OS Selector and it detects all the Operating Systems intalled on my Computer. It lists them immediately after the post screen and leaves you to seleect which one to boot from.

I love SuSE as well. Unfortunately, the German company (SuSE GmBH) was acquired by Novell. This significantly reduced the image of open-source and freedom. In fact, SuSE is becoming similar to RedHat Linux now; Novell actually dares to charge people for SuSE!It is fortunate that there is openSuSE (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) which has been useful to almost all previous SuSE users.By the way, Kubuntu and Edubuntu are now also available for free pressed and shipped CD's. I requested them at the end of May. Visit kubuntu.com and edubuntu.com and click on ShipIt Free CDs.

I use to use Ubuntu. The ones that they ship free cds. I got one of them packages waiting for a whole month. It was cool. Ubuntu was sort of hard to understand at first. I got through reading tutorials and stuff. It was easy to use in some ways. The only thing I didn't like was because it didn't have an appealing instant messenger program. I need to keep in contact with my friends.

I have my old machine set up with SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional (which set me back $89 plus NY taxes, totaling me about $97). It is slow running, but that's the computer's fault since I am running KDE on a 350 MHz AMD K5 with 160 MB of RAM. I like Linux, it's much 'quieter' than Windows, but then again you have to do more to get things done, things that are typically vey easy to do in Windows. I'm not going to be a Linux convert anytime soon, especially not until I get a computer that's faster, has more RAM and a bigger hard drive. But overall, I like working in a Linux GUI, and even terminal prompts aren't terribly scary :) .

About Linux being slow, I am running DamnSmallLinux on a 98MB of RAM machine. I set it up as a server for HTTP, FTP and IRC protocols, and it is currently using 23 of thos 98 megs. This machine could barely suppot Windows at all, so I think that linux is a considerable improvement. On my laptop, I finished partitioning, then installed Ubuntu, and everything is fine once you get used to the layout and fonts. I still try pressing "Windows logo" + "M" to minimise things, however...The only complaint I have about Ubuntu is the network config for wireless. It takes ages to figure out how to do things, and the solutions seem rather random. For example, I had to configure everything in the "Network Settings" rather than terminal, then I found out (after several hours of sweating and swearing) that the solution was to not click OK to exit the "Network Settings" box, just exit as normal! Rather confusing if you ask me...

I like the small Linux Distros rather than the large ones.

I mean the ones like Damn Small Linux, PC Linux OS , etc.
Also the live CDs are the best.
U dont even have to install them.
Burn It up and move it all around.

They are also convenient to recover your Windows Passwords when you forget them as you put the CD in and boot it and do whatever you want.

If you want some info on all of this try the following site:
http://linux.softpedia.com/

You also get a lot of new info and all Linux Softwares.