xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
semeticsister

Stupid Hospital People!

My great uncle is a devout Jew. He prays several times a day, goes to synagogue everyday, keeps strict kosher (dietary laws), and lives in what people in Minnesota affectionately call "St. Jewish Park" (which in itself is an oxymoron; Jews don't have saints) because of its high concentration of Jews. It's real name is St. Louis Park but whatever. So my great uncle Yosef recently had a pretty debilitating stroke and so he landed in the hospital. A few days ago, I went to go see him in the nursing home he was sent to. When I got there, I was completely blown away: they sent him to a Christian nursing home.

Now, I have nothing against Christians, or any religion for that matter, but how can the hospital personel be so ignorant as to what his relgion is? There are at least THREE Jewish nursing homes that I know of, and one of them is RIGHT NEXT TO THE HOSPITAL HE WAS AT. When I went to visit Yosef, it sickened me to see what they were feeding him: Pork chops with a cheese sauce on top (this severely violates several rules of kosher; no pork and no mixing milk with meat). I could see he was trying to tell the nurse that he didn't want it, but the nurse just kept feeding it to him. Also, when they were starting dinner, the nursing home staff was doing prayers over the PA system. It sickened and saddened me so much to see my great uncle having his hands put together by the nurse as a loud booming voice says "and in Jesus Christ's name, we say Amen".

Also, there is a huge crucifix hanging in his room, with Jesus Christ on it.

When we left, I could actually see him crying.

To add insult to injury, my great uncle Yosef was a VETERAN OF WORLD WAR TWO, and this is how they treat him? I honestly think a war veteran who LOST HIS RIGHT LEG should be treated better than this.

Today I called the nursing home and asked if Yosef could be transfered to the Shalom Home (A Jewish nursing home), and they said that he HAD TO STAY HERE. And the worst part was they didn't even tell me WHY he had to stay in that hellhole!

What should I do? I don't want to see my great uncle suffer like this!

Edited by semeticsister (see edit history)

Pork and cheese!? O_O Did he try saying its against his religion to eat it? If it wasn't far, I'd go ASAP and try to get him moved or at least tell them to put some sorf ot sign saying he's Jewish and to not feed him certain things or make him pray to Jesus.Maybe you could find out who moved him and give that person's boss a complaint about them if nothing is fixed.

You're failing to see the good from all of this. With all understanding of the Jewish religion. I'll explain later, but again, you're judging improperly. Please look over your own words. But, even when i was hopsitalized, i was able to choose what to eat, from whatever they had. But, if they're really Christians they'd try to make changes in the diet that he would prefer, to the best of their limits. But, rather than complaining about the food, ask why are they giving it to him. Surely the Christian regilion isn't based on pork and cheese. So, there must be another reason. Do you not know or understand that some vitamins and minerals are a necessity for human life. The pork could be a very good source of protiens and vitamins B12, and others. And the cheese could be a good source of calcium. These things are necessary for good health. Sure, there are alternatives. As for praying come dinner time, it's a religious thing. But, correct me if i'm wrong, dont Jews do the same? Isn't it called "giving thanks"? But, tell me, what would you prefer your uncle to be sent to. A place where he could be treated better, or a place where he would be treated the way he wants to?

You fail to see my point. They don't serve pork because it is a source of protein! There are plenty of perfectly kosher meats with high protein. And another thing, it is pretty obvious that he is a Jew. He wears a kippah all the time and wears a star of david around his neck. Also, it stated in his medical profile that he keeps a strict diet, and the nursing home people severely violated his rights. This is a case of neglect. Imagine if you were hindu and all of a sudden you're being forced to eat beef? And the whole prayer thing is VERY serious, because Jews do NOT believe in Jesus, and praying to him would be a considered idolatry.

My great uncle is a devout Jew. He prays several times a day, goes to synagogue everyday, keeps strict kosher (dietary laws), and lives in what people in Minnesota affectionately call "St. Jewish Park" (which in itself is an oxymoron; Jews don't have saints) because of its high concentration of Jews. It's real name is St. Louis Park but whatever. So my great uncle Yosef recently had a pretty debilitating stroke and so he landed in the hospital. A few days ago, I went to go see him in the nursing home he was sent to. When I got there, I was completely blown away: they sent him to a Christian nursing home.

When we left, I could actually see him crying.

What should I do? I don't want to see my great uncle suffer like this!

This is an outrage. Is Uncle Yosef able to speak? If he can't, somebody must speak for him. Try contacting his doctor. The nurses are probably only doing what the orders tell them to do. The doctor wrote and signed the orders as to where to send him and how he is to be treated (medically). You must find out why this is happening. Who is his guardian or next of kin? Good Luck!

You fail to see my point. They don't serve pork because it is a source of protein! There are plenty of perfectly kosher meats with high protein. And another thing, it is pretty obvious that he is a Jew. He wears a kippah all the time and wears a star of david around his neck. Also, it stated in his medical profile that he keeps a strict diet, and the nursing home people severely violated his rights. This is a case of neglect. Imagine if you were hindu and all of a sudden you're being forced to eat beef?
And the whole prayer thing is VERY serious, because Jews do NOT believe in Jesus, and praying to him would be a considered idolatry.

first of all, i could care less about your jew pride since having jew pride will reflect how you see others who aren't jews. but i think i have a handle on this situation.

yes, you can get him out of there. someone signed him in and if it wasn't through court order then his closest living relative can check him out unless it was through a court order. if he is unable to speak or communicate because he has had a stroke, hopefully he was smart enough to to create a legal document for soemone to make decisions for him if he is unable for some reason. this would have made things easier.
if he was in danger of his life, he would still be in the hospital so that's not what is keeping him there.

make plans to transfer him to another home and when he's accepted to a better living arrangement for him, then transfer him. if they refuse to sign him out, have 2-3 adult family members walk him out and don't take "no" for an answer when better living arrangments have been made for him. if your uncle is still able to nod his head, he is still able to communicate by asking him yes or no questions and this may help getting him out. i feel for you. your uncles situation doesn't seem good for him and sounds like he wants out of there even if it's to a caring family member's home to care for him until better arrangments can be made. unfortunately, no nursing home is a good one. they are depressing and encourages death more quickly for those forced to live in them. in the meantime, i suggest daily visits to help him personally with the things he enjoys and to encourage others to treat him properly. heck....bring in the food for him and tell them he will no longer be needing his daily feedings.....but i would just walk him outta there and nip this crap in the bud.

Tell me something. Did you bring food for your uncle? Or did you do nothing, but complain? Also, do you think God would judge someone cause they were forced to do such a thing? Seeing that you "have nothing against Christians, or any religion for that matter", even God said it was OK to believe in Jesus. Surely, that doesnt mean Jesus is better. Also, by the looks of it, your uncle didnt pray along with them. But, rather, he just heard them pray. If he did pray along with them it would have been his choice to. Mind you, anyone can pretend to pray. Or seem like they're praying for the same thing. And really be praying for something else.

You fail to see my point. They don't serve pork because it is a source of protein! There are plenty of perfectly kosher meats with high protein. And another thing, it is pretty obvious that he is a Jew. He wears a kippah all the time and wears a star of david around his neck. Also, it stated in his medical profile that he keeps a strict diet, and the nursing home people severely violated his rights. This is a case of neglect. Imagine if you were hindu and all of a sudden you're being forced to eat beef?
And the whole prayer thing is VERY serious, because Jews do NOT believe in Jesus, and praying to him would be a considered idolatry.

another thing....you seem to think these people are out to get your uncle because he is a "jew". to me, this is ridiculous thinking. if you concentrated more on getting your uncle out than your jew pride, he would probably be out by now. but even when you get him out, that doesn't mean he will be in a better environment, but i sure hope so. just get him out of there if you found somewhere better and stop complaining about it here. it does your uncle no good or are you not even old enough to take matters in your own hands here and this is the only recourse you have?

.. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know much about the Jewish religion (or any religion), but isn't the belief that Jesus is a prophet, not the Son of God? I mean, they still believe in him.. just not in the same sense.

I completely understand where you're coming from, that they should make some modifications based on his needs, but you can't expect a place that treats hundreds of people to go particularly out of their way to treat one patient any more than it would to treat another.

Yes, some changes should be made, but not everything can be specifically switched to the way you or your great uncle is used to, because as much as anyone might dislike it, we live in a primarily Christian world, and therefore almost everything is based towards that majority - Christians. Its kindof like how most people are right handed. Everything is made for the right handed person, and the only people who notice it are the left handed ones who have to put up with it all. Majorities always get the greater attention, there's not much that can be done about it.

That's weird o.oActually, the extremes are really the part that seems weird.. all the nursing homes around here are just that... nursing homes. They're not religious, one way or the other and... wow.No one will move him based on just what you say.. you need some adult who is responsible for his care to get him moved. If none of the adults involved will move him, maybe there is some good reason.. although the feeding thing seems weird. If he was alergic to cheese, or a vegitarian, or maybe he couldn't chew the meat, they wouldn't feed him that, so there has to be a different meal choice around for people who can't eat pork with cheese... so what's the deal? ^^;