xisto Community
illdevilinc

Hosting Your Own Server i need help

OK hosting off apache is okay but i dont want to do it anymore. I was wondering if anyone knew a FREE operating system that would allow me to host a web site threw a DSL line from my 100 GB External Hard drive. Also if anyone knows how i know to host off of the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system. I already own a licence for this system and it is currently running on my home computer (i am on my laptop right now). If you know a operating system that i can use please post it with some instructions on how to get it and use it if you know them. And if you have information about the Windows Server Operating system and how to use it to be a Web Server please tell me threw a reply or a PM. I would also like the server to have a Secure Login system but that is not required. Thanks everyone!!

Since you got the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, it should include whatever that you need in it. Read it through its manuals. I'm sure everything is stated there, since the operating system is built to be a server. You should also check on Microsoft's community for more troubleshoot and guides if there's any.Apache is not an operating system. It runs on any operating system that is installed to. Hence if you are trying to look for a free operating system that is also a server, then I suggest you to try Fedora Linux operating system. It's well known for its server capabilities on a Linux platform, backed by RedHat. Of course if you can afford it, go for RedHat for it's professional server capabilities. Anyway, since you got the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, then just stick to it. Switching from Windows interface to Linux is not an easy task. You might give up in the end if you don't know anything about Linux.

Since you got the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, it should include whatever that you need in it. Read it through its manuals. I'm sure everything is stated there, since the operating system is built to be a server. You should also check on Microsoft's community for more troubleshoot and guides if there's any.
Apache is not an operating system. It runs on any operating system that is installed to. Hence if you are trying to look for a free operating system that is also a server, then I suggest you to try Fedora Linux operating system. It's well known for its server capabilities on a Linux platform, backed by RedHat. Of course if you can afford it, go for RedHat for it's professional server capabilities. Anyway, since you got the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, then just stick to it. Switching from Windows interface to Linux is not an easy task. You might give up in the end if you don't know anything about Linux.

the Microsoft Windows 2003 Operating system is mostly designed for server to server connections and managing a server threw a LAN. I know that managing a server system threw a larger area (such as a web service) is possible but there is not many guides on how to do it. mostly guides on how to set up an office server.
thanks anyways

Since you got the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, it should include whatever that you need in it. Read it through its manuals. I'm sure everything is stated there, since the operating system is built to be a server. You should also check on Microsoft's community for more troubleshoot and guides if there's any.
Apache is not an operating system. It runs on any operating system that is installed to. Hence if you are trying to look for a free operating system that is also a server, then I suggest you to try Fedora Linux operating system. It's well known for its server capabilities on a Linux platform, backed by RedHat. Of course if you can afford it, go for RedHat for it's professional server capabilities. Anyway, since you got the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, then just stick to it. Switching from Windows interface to Linux is not an easy task. You might give up in the end if you don't know anything about Linux.

Sorry but probably I'm totaly ignorant...

If I have an operationg system such windows XP professional, and I want to convert him to a server, can I simply download apache and so convert my computer to a server? anf yes, how do I do it??????

Sorry but probably I'm totaly ignorant...
If I have an operationg system such windows XP professional, and I want to convert him to a server, can I simply download apache and so convert my computer to a server? anf yes, how do I do it??????

Yes actualy you can, but what you may want to look into is Microsoft Windows Server Edition 2003, as that has all the tools you need to start one.