xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Variable Definition

I am creating a checkbook balancing program that uses multiple forms. The first form will allow the user to enter a certain number of deposits, withdrawals, etc. I want to have the ability to have the user be able to enter more than what this first screen will provide by allowing them to transfer to another form. I would like to store the data entered for each of these transaction types into a global variable (to be used throughout the project) array, and produce a total of the dollar amount of this transaction type to be used in coming up with an ending balance of the account. My question is, is there a special way of defining these variables so that they can be referenced on all of the forms throughout the project?

I am creating a checkbook balancing program that uses multiple forms. The first form will allow the user to enter a certain number of deposits, withdrawals, etc. I want to have the ability to have the user be able to enter more than what this first screen will provide by allowing them to transfer to another form. I would like to store the data entered for each of these transaction types into a global variable (to be used throughout the project) array, and produce a total of the dollar amount of this transaction type to be used in coming up with an ending balance of the account. My question is, is there a special way of defining these variables so that they can be referenced on all of the forms throughout the project?

i beleve you can use
dim yourvariable as global
or
global yourvariable
i forgot which
or just build a componint and add it to your form and then it will be part of the form and you dont have to use
global and when you want to swich unhide the one you want to show and hide the others
Edited by everett (see edit history)

Hey kvarnerexpress, you will need a add a new Module into your project.

1. Click Project / Add Module

Posted Image

2. Select Module and click Open

Posted Image

3. In the new Module, create your variable as Public

Posted Image

Creating your variable as Public should now let all the forms in your project to use the same variable. You can also use this method to pass data from 1 form to another.

Also note that you cannot create a variable using "DIM" as it doesn't make sence in the module. The module is suppose to be a shared content among all the forms in the project.

Dim watever_variable_name as String

Sorry for the late reply...

I don't know if you are using Visual Basic 6.0, or .NET, since their syntax can be different (I'm not quite sure, it's been nearly two years since I last used .NET)

Anyways, in order to make a variable global in your project (to allow all segments of your code to access it), you need to add a module to your project, or use already existing module, and add a following piece of code:

Global VarName As String

That's all there is to it, now your variable VarName is accessible throughout your code...

As Insspiron wrote, in .NET it's a little different keyword, but mostly same procedure... Use Public keyword, in place of Global...

Happy coding :)

Sorry for the late reply...
I don't know if you are using Visual Basic 6.0, or .NET, since their syntax can be different (I'm not quite sure, it's been nearly two years since I last used .NET)

Anyways, in order to make a variable global in your project (to allow all segments of your code to access it), you need to add a module to your project, or use already existing module, and add a following piece of code:

Global VarName As String

That's all there is to it, now your variable VarName is accessible throughout your code...

As Insspiron wrote, in .NET it's a little different keyword, but mostly same procedure... Use Public keyword, in place of Global...

Happy coding :angry:

Nice reply.
But I want to post some tick.

Well...

Such code:
Global variable1, variable2 As Integer

As You know type of variable1 is variant!!!
But variant2 is Integer.

Check your sources for this tick.

Can you explain to me what the variable vBulletin does?example:$vbulletin->userinfo['buddylist'];or $vbulletin->db->read_query("");-nicolas

Can you explain to me what the variable vBulletin does?example:
$vbulletin->userinfo['buddylist'];
or $vbulletin->db->read_query("");

-nicolas

I would say you missed a sub-forum, this is about Visual Basic, and you posted question containing PHP code...

Anyways $vbulletin, in first case, would contain information about a user, regarding buddylist, whatever that may be... Possibly a list of friends on the bulletin board...

In second case, $vbulletin would contain information read from mysql database... But, since your SQL query is empty, it would contain nothing...