???????? # Countries Participating
???????? # Boycotts
????> What Goes On At The Games?
????> What About 2006?
???????? # How Long?
???????? # Mascots
????[tab] # Honoury Coin

A Brief Summary Of The Games

The Commonwealth Games is a sporting event held every four years since 1930. The competitors come from all areas of the Commonwealth. Many countries have competed but to date, only six nations have competed in every one of the Commonwealth Games. They include:

• England (Posted Image)
  • Scotland (Posted Image)
  • Wales (Posted Image)
  • Australia (Posted Image)
  • Canada (Posted Image)
  • New Zealand (Posted Image)
A History Of The Games

The games were set up in 1930 by the name of the British Empire Games. Eleven nations participated. They were:

• Australia (Posted Image)
  • Bermuda (Posted Image)
  • Canada (Posted Image)
  • England (Posted Image)
  • Guyana (Posted Image)
  • Ireland (Posted Image)
  • Newfoundland (Posted Image)
  • New Zeland (Posted Image)
  • Scotland (Posted Image)
  • South Africa (Posted Image)
  • Wales (Posted Image)
The games then ran as planned every four years until Sydney 1938. It was stopped due to WWII until 1950 where they then decided to restart the games in Auckland.

Four years later, the name of the games was changed once more to the British Empire and Commonwealth Games. Wherefore, the British Empire Games flag (see in images above) was abolished.

Later in 1970, the name of the games was again changed. This time is was to the British Commonwealth Games. At that point the BCG seal was created (see in images above).

Since then, the games has had many threatened and enacted boycotts. In 1974 a boycott was threatened because of South Africa as well as in 1982 and 1990. However, in 1978 one was enacted in protest of New Zealand's sporting contacts with South Africa.

Boycotts were also carried out in 1986 by 32 nations from Africa, Asia and the Caribbean due to Margret Thatcher's government attitude towards South African sporting contacts.

Just eight years after its previous name change, it was shortened once more to what we know the games as today. The Commmonwealth Games.

What Goes On At The Games?

Nowdays many sports are played at the games which range from swiming to lawn bowls. However only 7 of the current 24 games have been played since the beginning.

Since 2002 EAD games have been added. EAD means Events for Athletes With A Disablity.

Below is a list of all the games that are being played in 2006 and when they were held in previous years:

Athletics (Men) (1930-)
Athletics (Women) (1934-)
Athletics (Disabled) (2002-)
Badminton (1966-)
Basketball (2006-)
Boxing (1930-)
Cycling (1934-)
Diving (1930-)
Gym (1978, 1990-)
Hockey (1998-)
Lawn Bowls (1930-1962, 1968-)
Netball (1998-)
Power Lifting (Disabled) (2002-)
Rugby Sevens (1998-)
Shooting (1966, 1974-)
Squash (1998-)
Swimming (1930-)
Swimming (Disabled) (2002-)
Synchronised Swimming (1930-)
Table Tennis (2002-)
Table Tennis (Disabled) (2002-)
Triatholon (2002-)
Water Polo (1930-)
Weight Lifting (1950-)
What About The 2006 Games?

This year the games will be held in Melbourne, Australia and will last 11 days. They will begin on March 15th and end of March 26th and will be a momentous event for the city as this is the largest sporting event ever to be held there.

The mascot for the event is a red-tailed black cockatoo which is a threatened species. Both the opening and closing ceremonies are going to be held in Melbourne Cricket Ground.

To view the games, all you need is a TV. Many broadcasting stations have decided to record the games such as BBC1, BBC2, BBCi, TVNz and FoxSports.

Australia has also produced a lovely 50-cent coin in honour of the games:

Posted Image

[hr=noshade]So, whatever country you're in or supporting, good luck![/hr]

Posted Image

*Images courtesy of wikimedia foundation inc

Very nice topic electriic ink, being I am in Melbourne, it is very exciting here at the moment and chaotic at the same time. Best of luck to all the Commonwealth teams competing and I hope they enjoy our city. As our Lord Mayor says, "Please Enjoy!". We are a very multicultural city so I'm sure every athlete will find something familiar in the city. As I type this, the opening ceremony it taking place.

Why isn't Lacrosse listed there? I know they played it during the Commonwealth Games when they were held in Edmonton in 1978.

Why isn't Lacrosse listed there? I know they played it during the Commonwealth Games when they were held in Edmonton in 1978.

The games listed only include those which will be played this year. Sorry, I probably should've made that clearer. Editing....

Thanks for posting that, i learnt quite alot about the games that i didnt know or learn in school. I too live in Melbourne and am excited about the games but arent as excited about the traffic going into the city :(, but atleast its school holidays. Anyone else having the same dillema?

They have demonstration sports from time to time as a trial to see whether they should be included permanently. Obviously wasn't popular enough.