xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gaea

What Does "niggling" Mean? Great word, especial in arguments

I love this word, so I thought I'd share it with all of you.'Niggling' refers to being petty--especially when arguing about things. For instance, arguing about how long someone took to get ready to leave the house would fall into this catagory. As well as most other squables between siblings, or people flaming eachother on the internet.

I double check the word just ot make sure but i feel that word is kind of racists and inappriopriate for this forum regaurdless what the definition is.

I double check the word just ot make sure but i feel that word is kind of racists and inappriopriate for this forum regaurdless what the definition is.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The word has absolutely no racist connotations. The only way it could possibly be construed as offencive is that it i mostly used to tell someone that you think their argument is petty or superficial. Perhaphs you are thinking of a different word (though i am unaware of an similar ones that would envoke racial connotations)?

I think you may be confused about what this word actually means (though i just posted the deffination). Please elaborate.

I think its a british word maybe thats why, never really heard that in the states though, I'm not saying it's racist im just saying that a portion of that word could be mistaken for the taboo that buffalo mentioned.

To be quite frank, I believe it is some form of the word "*BLEEP*rdly" which means to be miserly of petty.

Yea I also haven't heard this word in the states which probably why when I first saw it I felt the reaction of Saint_Michael. I don't like using new words anyway. Why use big words and words out of ordinary language when all you have to say is arguing. Simple word everyone knows :( lol.

Actually, when I saw this word it reminded me of that racist word commonly used against black people and people of any race associated with blacks. I'm not gonna say what word I mean, seeing as it is racist and the ban filter would probably own me, but if you rearrange the letters g, n, and r correctly and add two vowels, you'll see what I mean.Also, noone I know has ever heard such a word as "niggling" before, and I live in the UK. So it does not appear to be a local word. And can we stop blaming UK first for once?

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

If you actually read the word it clearly has a totally diffrent meaning than the Taboo word. Even with the words controversary "remove the ling and add er"....... Not a racial preference.... it only will be until the last 4 letters are removed.

Whenever I've heard the word it's been in a racist manner (however jokingly). It does mean something quite different however if you look it up in an official dictionary (oxford, dictionary.com). But it also has a racist connotation (ala urban dictionary).

Yea I also haven't heard this word in the states which probably why when I first saw it I felt the reaction of Saint_Michael. I don't like using new words anyway. Why use big words and words out of ordinary language when all you have to say is arguing. Simple word everyone knows :) lol.

Heh, I like using larger words because of the subtle neuances that they convey. For instance, if you say a girl (or guy, if that's your orientation) is "hot" that's quite different than saying that they're "cute" or "beautiful." All of those words have the same basic meaning--attractive--but they convey subtlties far beyond that basic meaning.

I don't know...maybe it's just me. But i feel that the more words I know, the more expressive I can be while speaking or writting.

I have to say that expanding one's horizons comes in more that one way. Expanding your vocabulary is definately a good thing. I actually amaze myself sometimes when I pop out with a word that I learned ages ago that I forgot I even knew. I also find vocabulary extremely useful in writing and when discussing interesting topics here on Xisto.I find it wonderful to learn new words. Its going to be fun to use this one on my friends and family when they are doing this. Its also great to see a fabulous discussion about it.If any of you has a chance you should take a linguistics class. Its very vacinating how words are formed and where they come from.